United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
The European Cup proper starts now. Love the KO stage of this tournament.

Obviously, our tie is the game of the round but all the Premiership teams have big draws. Here’s hoping we get through and all the other English sides get knocked out
Yep. These are the kind of matches this competition is all about. Hopefully we can dick them, but I have to say, I reckon it has all the makings of a very tight, cagey affair. One-nil or one-one, maybe a two-one if we're (un)lucky. Forza Manchester!

Unread 23-02-2009, 12:51 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Yep. These are the kind of matches this competition is all about. Hopefully we can dick them, but I have to say, I reckon it has all the makings of a very tight, cagey affair. One-nil or one-one, maybe a two-one if we're (un)lucky. Forza Manchester!
I'd take a 1-1 right now, taking into account our defensive issues. But I agree, they will be two very tight games.

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I'd take a 1-1 right now, taking into account our defensive issues. But I agree, they will be two very tight games.
Yeah. A 1-1 would be OK with me too. Although I also hope that we don't go too negative, in the way that we did in the away legs last year, particularly against Barca. Not that I'll be complaining if the end result is the same

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:25 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Yeah. A 1-1 would be OK with me too. Although I also hope that we don't go too negative, in the way that we did in the away legs last year, particularly against Barca. Not that I'll be complaining if the end result is the same
Would all have been different if we'd put that penalty away. Still, I don't know if we'll need to go quite so defensive tomorrow, we're likely to see more of the ball and at least we've got two fit forwards to play to. Barca traditionally are a team that like to monopolise possession, probably more than anyone else in Europe. Inter might leave themselves more open and there's talk that Viera might play. I'd be happy to see him being run at, he's a shadow of what he was.

Two tough games though.

Unread 23-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Would all have been different if we'd put that penalty away. Still, I don't know if we'll need to go quite so defensive tomorrow, we're likely to see more of the ball and at least we've got two fit forwards to play to. Barca traditionally are a team that like to monopolise possession, probably more than anyone else in Europe. Inter might leave themselves more open and there's talk that Viera might play. I'd be happy to see him being run at, he's a shadow of what he was.

Two tough games though.
Roma wasn't much different, although we at least managed to play on the counter there and to open up towards the end of the match. Lyon was pretty dismal too. And we had two forwards available for all Barca; they just both played in midfield (maybe even defence in Rooney's case). Not too hot away from home in 2006/2007 either.

Anyway, I'm actually quite optimistic about this tie. Honestly

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:00 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
We're doomed

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Roma wasn't much different, although we at least managed to play on the counter there and to open up towards the end of the match. Lyon was pretty dismal too. And we had two forwards available for all Barca; they just both played in midfield (maybe even defence in Rooney's case). Not too hot away from home in 2006/2007 either.

How would you line up tomorrow? I won't ask you to name a defence ( )

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Neon Tiger

I'm looking forward to just enjoying the games this time around. Last season the nerves were clouding absolutely everything and you had to watch the games again just to get a proper idea of everything. This year it's different, we've finally got that little #@&%! chipping away on our heels shaken off now Sir Alex has won the European Cup again.

The real priority this season is to equal the murdering @#%&!s league title haul, and even though we're currently 7 points clear - do not take anything for granted. I will not relax until we beat them, and if/when we do that - while we've gone past Inter then maybe my view would change.

But right now, this competition is secondary in my thoughts to be honest, how many teams win it in consecutive years anyway? I reckon Inter might knock us out anyway. I won't be happy of course but it wouldn't hurt as much as it would have last year or in previous seasons.

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:21 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
IIRC, Rooney had that hip injury in Barca and missed the second leg.

Anyhoo, this worries me more.

Quote:
oh-oh

Unread 23-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
IIRC, Rooney had that hip injury in Barca and missed the second leg.
True. He did play in Barcelona though. As a wide midfielder come wing-back. And he was fully fit in Rome, I believe, where he started out wide, again playing almost as a wing-back at times, while Tevez was available but began the match on the bench.
Quote:
Anyhoo, this worries me more.

oh-oh
Well, I was optimistic for everything bar the final last season and we all know how that went. So there
Closed Thread