United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 28-06-2020, 07:34 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
Planning permission in for one near me

Health risks proven yet or is it a wum?

Iirc they gonna need loads more than the current masts as the range is much shorter
Complete conspiracy theory wum, nqat.

Unread 28-06-2020, 07:59 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
I didn't mean the short term effect wum. The Long term ones, cancer risks.

Weve had a thread about WiFi recently which touched on it

The local fb group post about it got quickly heyseled BTW. Freedom of reach

Unread 28-06-2020, 08:39 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
it isn't.

it's based on a mis-understanding of the physics of it.

it isn't total bullshit, it's an over-simplication of the facts, leading to over-estimation of the risk.

there's minimal risk, but nothing comes without zero risk.

Unread 28-06-2020, 08:46 PM
est.1878

Asked my brother who's also bang into his physics and he suggested we should be more concerned about jumping on planes a few times a year

Unread 28-06-2020, 08:48 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Asked my brother who's also bang into his physics and he suggested we should be more concerned about jumping on planes a few times a year
yes

which was my point

the dose you get from a mobile over a year would be equal to working in industry with EM or being a frequent flyer.

the EM waves are high energy but the intensity is low.

Unread 28-06-2020, 09:51 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre View Post
i'm an a-level physics teacher.
YSHFS....

Stay in your lane FFS...

Unread 28-06-2020, 11:15 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
it isn't.

it's based on a mis-understanding of the physics of it.

it isn't total bullshit, it's an over-simplication of the facts, leading to over-estimation of the risk.

there's minimal risk, but nothing comes without zero risk.
I meant the more outlandish theories that have grown up around the subject tbh.

Unread 30-06-2020, 06:44 AM
believe

Quote:
it's high frequency electromagnetic (EM) waves.

Visible light, microwaves, infra-red (the stuff hot objects give out on a thermal camera) and radio waves are all electromagnetic waves, within the EM spectrum. So they're waves given out by an object. You just don't see them with your eyes.

Each type of EM wave has a different frequency - frequency is the number of photons per second that an object gives out - like a cell phone mast which then hit a target like an aerial in your phone or your food in a microwave. Photons are packets of energy.

So the higher the frequency the more photons or packets of energy hit you or an aerial per second.

Microwaves heat your food up because there are lots of packets of energy being sent in to your food per second and causing the water molecules in your food to vibrate and heat up.

The argument here is that 5G has a very high frequency compared to 4G - so the photons or packets of energy which are sent out per second from the masts to the phone have much more energy. People believe that this energy will be absorbed by cells and cause cells to die and DNA to be damaged.

It's not actually that implausible and it's why the theory of 5G being dangerous got traction, but in reality the risk is small - if any. The intensity and power of these waves is low, so the actual risk of being harmed is low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
I used to work at wine bar where I realised the microwave would work with the doors open if you pressed two buttons either side of the door.

I duly turned the dial to 10 seconds, pressed the buttons, stuck my head in and pressed start.

Felt a bit queasy after 5 or so seconds with flashes across my eyes so decided to stop.
We should start a news channel. All 5G propaganda completely wiped out in two posts