United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 18-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Ashley's Grime

This is a very thoughtful thread for FT !

Unread 18-06-2007, 07:50 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
This is a very thoughtful thread for FT !
[YOUTUBE]MnnXCZ-n7G4[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 18-06-2007, 07:57 PM
m14red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
As good as that pic is, I don't think it does justice to the overall effect of actually being stood there, looking at it yourself.

That would be just a mindf***.
I think you would do well not to break down and cry. I'd imagine Neil Armstrong just sits around at home shaking his head and going 'fuuuuccckk maaaaannn' over and over.

Unread 18-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Bunker Buster

THE CATS ARE AT IT AGAIN

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:02 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by m14red
I think you would do well not to break down and cry. I'd imagine Neil Armstrong just sits around at home shaking his head and going 'fuuuuccckk maaaaannn' over and over.
That's a fair point actually - I mean, after seeing something like that, playing golf on the moon ffs, how do you get on with the more mundane things in life?

NASA is planning on re-starting manned missions to the Moon in the coming decade. Then eventually, Mars

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
That's a fair point actually - I mean, after seeing something like that, playing golf on the moon ffs, how do you get on with the more mundane things in life?

NASA is planning on re-starting manned missions to the Moon in the coming decade. Then eventually, Mars
There was a stand-up comedian who talked about that, can't remember who it was though. You could say Neil, we're going to have to amputate your p**** and he'd go 'it doesn't matter because you see, I've walked on the Moon'.

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by m14red
All those guys, Armstrong in particular, were engineers, not very given to emotion. Plus they were so overloaded by their schedule on the moon that they barely had time to appreciate the view.

The only one who has regularly talked about the emotion of the experience is Gene Cernan, the last man on the moon. His book is an excellent read for that very reason.

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Sloppy

Thumbs up

The Planets is on Sky channel 538 right now.All about stars.

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:22 PM
MakeBelieve

good thread, I'm taking a planetary science module in my final year next year, no field trip though

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Dueling Banjos

"Good luck,Mr Gorsky"

If only.

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Sloppy

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:33 PM
monkey

Anyone been to Jodrell Bank? Do they let you look through the big telescopes or are they just those radio ones which give computerised images?

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
All those guys, Armstrong in particular, were engineers, not very given to emotion. Plus they were so overloaded by their schedule on the moon that they barely had time to appreciate the view.

The only one who has regularly talked about the emotion of the experience is Gene Cernan, the last man on the moon. His book is an excellent read for that very reason.
I'm sorry, but no matter how much of a cold-hearted bloke you are, you could NOT stand there and see that, even if only for 5 seconds without saying to yourself "f*** ME".
I know it isn't anywhere near the same, but I did a couple of parachute jumps years ago. We went out of the plane 2 per pass over the drop zone, I was second out. Once we landed, took our 'chutes back to the packing shed, me and the other fella just stood there, looked up at the sky, looked at the ground, looked at each other and just said "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

So, I can quite believe Armstrong would sit there and just go "SHIT, I've stood on the moon. The f***ing MOON!" no matter how cold and aloof he might be.

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Sloppy

Ive always wanted to go see the northern lights too.

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
I'm sorry, but no matter how much of a cold-hearted bloke you are, you could NOT stand there and see that, even if only for 5 seconds without saying to yourself "f*** ME".
I know it isn't anywhere near the same, but I did a couple of parachute jumps years ago. We went out of the plane 2 per pass over the drop zone, I was second out. Once we landed, took our 'chutes back to the packing shed, me and the other fella just stood there, looked up at the sky, looked at the ground, looked at each other and just said "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

So, I can quite believe Armstrong would sit there and just go "SHIT, I've stood on the moon. The f***ing MOON!" no matter how cold and aloof he might be.
I do an amusing/annoying thing with friends and family at times when certain football stadia are on tv or world landmarks and the like. I nod at them and say matter-of-factly "been there". Imagine standing outside at night,nodding at the moon and saying matter-of-factly "been there".

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
I do an amusing/annoying thing with friends and family at times when certain football stadia are on tv or world landmarks and the like. I nod at them and say matter-of-factly "been there". Imagine standing outside at night,nodding at the moon and saying matter-of-factly "been there".
Can't be beaten, only equalled. Armstrong wins tho, by dint of being able to say "Went there FIRST".

Unread 18-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Grimson

Quote:

It's not so much that they're cold and aloof, more that knowing the engineering behind it takes away the mystery and magic. "Of course we stood on the moon," they would think. "Our rocket had sufficient thrust ratio, and we timed our Trans-Lunar Injection perfectly. Therefore, we landed on the moon."

According to his book "First Man," whether you believe him or not, Armstrong says he rarely looks at the moon or thinks about being there. Considering what he did when he retired as an astronaut, I believe him. He could have made millions by serving on corporate boards and endorsing products, coasting on the fame of Apollo, but he instead taught Engineering at the University of Cincinnati, just a regular faculty member teaching a full load of classes, for 8 years.

Unread 18-06-2007, 09:39 PM
sweetleftfoot

Some great stuff on there.

Feel a bit like the scene on Animal House when there stoned, with Donald Sutherland talking about there being a universe under his finger nail! "Can I buy some pot off you?"!

Unread 18-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Qwertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
Anyone been to Jodrell Bank? Do they let you look through the big telescopes or are they just those radio ones which give computerised images?
I went a few years ago and to be honest it was shit

It badly needs a few million spending on it.

Unread 18-06-2007, 10:49 PM
m14red

Thumbs up

Quote: