United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 25-07-2022, 02:23 PM
windy waffles

Cool Backups

What are peoples backup policies in their every day tech lives? Does anyone else live by the 3-2-1 mantra? (three copies, 2 different media with one off site backup?). Use your own NAS, use a combo of Google and OneDrive? Still use an USB thumb drive?

I'll be honest, I backup pretty much everything as you never know when you are gonna need it. Photos - 2 different backups, home videos - got it backed up 3 times across different forms of media, Megadrive roms I'm never going to play ever again - 2 copies.

Posting this as a backup my old business email .pst in case the tax man comes knocking in a few years...

Strange obsession tbh.

Unread 25-07-2022, 02:31 PM
est.1878

Thumbs up

Respect to all thread starters via rep.

Used to like obsessively saving photos on external HD, usbs etc but thibk the older you get care less as death doesn't seem beyond the horizon and then 100 years after that no one will even care to give any of them a seconds glance, family or not. Enjoy your day...

Unread 25-07-2022, 02:33 PM
sweetleftfoot

Use an online cloud thingy for work stuff, pics and I use their crypt vault for documents. I have got a few hard drives with pictures on and that, but I've never looked and them and stopped updating them when the cloud happened.

One day the cloud will go down and I'll be goosed, I just know it.

Unread 25-07-2022, 02:37 PM
silv

Desktop is my backup.

Save everything to desktop and it'll be there!

Unread 25-07-2022, 02:41 PM
believe

Wouldnít know where to start. I recently somehow signed up to a Dropbox plus account and my computer said it had backed up to it. No idea where it is or how to access it.

Once every couple of month I take all my photos off my phone and drop them in a folder on my desktop yet I still have hundreds of photos (some that could cause me some mither) that are still there but I donít know where they are saved or how to get rid of them.

Unread 25-07-2022, 02:42 PM
Bunker Buster

Back up photos and videos, nothing else matters....

Unread 25-07-2022, 02:43 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
What are peoples backup policies in their every day tech lives? Does anyone else live by the 3-2-1 mantra? (three copies, 2 different media with one off site backup?). Use your own NAS, use a combo of Google and OneDrive? Still use an USB thumb drive?

I'll be honest, I backup pretty much everything as you never know when you are gonna need it. Photos - 2 different backups, home videos - got it backed up 3 times across different forms of media, Megadrive roms I'm never going to play ever again - 2 copies.

Posting this as a backup my old business email .pst in case the tax man comes knocking in a few years...

Strange obsession tbh.
You can NEVER be too paranoid about backups.

Altho 1 thing a lot of people neglect is to test they are actually f***ing working.
At work I'll randomly restore stuff from all our various backup sources. Just to be sure.

Unread 25-07-2022, 02:50 PM
Baron

iCloud - back to 2010

Might be some stuff on Google Drive, but I simply do everything on my phone these days.

Otherwise it's on my work laptop & One Drive.

Unread 25-07-2022, 02:54 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
You can NEVER be too paranoid about backups.

Altho 1 thing a lot of people neglect is to test they are actually f***ing working.
At work I'll randomly restore stuff from all our various backup sources. Just to be sure.
Yep, I fell foul of that at work once. Asked to have a file restored from backup, they hadn't been working for months Some twitchy IT arses for a few weeks there hoping no one asked for anything else to be recovered

Unread 25-07-2022, 02:59 PM
92ToBury

One drive, really import stuff on a pen drive as and when

Unread 25-07-2022, 03:05 PM
Long tongue phooey

Photos and videos automatically upload to Google photos... No idea how much storage I get but I guess they'll try to flog me some more space as it gets close to being full

Unread 25-07-2022, 03:31 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long tongue phooey
Photos and videos automatically upload to Google photos... No idea how much storage I get but I guess they'll try to flog me some more space as it gets close to being full
£1.50 per month for 100gb.

5gb free I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Desktop is my backup.

Save everything to desktop and it'll be there!

Wait until the drive fails mate and you're up sheet creek with no paddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
Use an online cloud thingy for work stuff, pics and I use their crypt vault for documents. I have got a few hard drives with pictures on and that, but I've never looked and them and stopped updating them when the cloud happened.

One day the cloud will go down and I'll be goosed, I just know it.

That's my thoughts too - I know it won't but just in case...

Unread 25-07-2022, 03:35 PM
tatty

I get regular messages on my laptop to back up something.

Learning to be more IT aware is definitely on my retirement list but right now I havenít got a clue.

Itís 50/50 whether I can work the quotes on here.

Unread 25-07-2022, 03:37 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty

Learning to be more IT aware is definitely on my retirement list but right now I havenít got a clue.

Itís 50/50 whether I can work the quotes on here.
Man in charge of landing planes safely, ladies (we wish) and gents...

Unread 25-07-2022, 03:38 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Man in charge of landing planes safely, ladies (we wish) and gents...
Youíre on about drives.

Planes fly.

Unread 25-07-2022, 04:03 PM
armchair

I'm a bit haphazard at home but for the site there are hourly backups in the cloud and it's on a raid 1 array so if one of the disks fails it can just be replaced. We've had a few drives fail over the years and because of the raid there was no downtime. I can only remember having to restore a backup once.

Unread 25-07-2022, 04:55 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I'm a bit haphazard at home but for the site there are hourly backups in the cloud and it's on a raid 1 array so if one of the disks fails it can just be replaced. We've had a few drives fail over the years and because of the raid there was no downtime. I can only remember having to restore a backup once.
Raid 1 reds.

My plex collection is on raid 1 - I'd be devastated if I lost all of the film/tv show I'd acquired over the years so had to make sure it didn't happen.

8 years in with a Synology and the WD Red disks haven't failed me yet.

Unread 25-07-2022, 06:33 PM
pc6090

I lost an an entire array at work with all our production systems on them. Turns out our backups werenít working. Oops.

Unread 25-07-2022, 07:11 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090
I lost an an entire array at work with all our production systems on them. Turns out our backups werenít working. Oops.
Did they fire you?

Unread 25-07-2022, 07:18 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Yep, I fell foul of that at work once. Asked to have a file restored from backup, they hadn't been working for months Some twitchy IT arses for a few weeks there hoping no one asked for anything else to be recovered
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090
Told you. I can't understand why people spend all that time/money/effort on backups, yet never actually test their viability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Raid 1 reds.

My plex collection is on raid 1 - I'd be devastated if I lost all of the film/tv show I'd acquired over the years so had to make sure it didn't happen.

8 years in with a Synology and the WD Red disks haven't failed me yet.
Did you buy the disks from the same place at the same time?