United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 05-07-2022, 12:07 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
"Whenever one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite on the first."

Gotcha
Essential knowledge when playing pool.

See also angles of incidence and reflection. Most useful physics lesson ever that was, improved my pool playing no end

Unread 05-07-2022, 12:12 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Essential knowledge when playing pool.

See also angles of incidence and reflection. Most useful physics lesson ever that was, improved my pool playing no end
4 pints does the job for me. What's the physics of that?

Unread 05-07-2022, 12:17 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
4 pints does the job for me. What's the physics of that?
Alcohol obviously opens your mind to the Force allowing you to let go and just trust your feelings

Unread 05-07-2022, 03:06 PM
Buck

Highly recommend his book. He had a wit and charisma about him as well as incredible scientific iintellect and curiosity. His work on the Challenger disaster inquiry is worth its own story distinct from everything else because up until then he rarely got involved in official matters like that but he was integral in that inquiry. Plus he took a great value in arts and having some overlap which made him a good public figure compared to a lot of his contemporaries who were outstanding scientists but a bit stuffy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sure...g,_Mr._Feynman!

Unread 05-07-2022, 03:35 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Highly recommend his book. He had a wit and charisma about him as well as incredible scientific iintellect and curiosity. His work on the Challenger disaster inquiry is worth its own story distinct from everything else because up until then he rarely got involved in official matters like that but he was integral in that inquiry. Plus he took a great value in arts and having some overlap which made him a good public figure compared to a lot of his contemporaries who were outstanding scientists but a bit stuffy.

My mate gave me that to read, and I think I only read about 10 pages then put it down and... life distracted me.

I'll defo get back on it, nice reminder

Unread 05-07-2022, 03:40 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

It's got one

It was made into a film, it was really engrossing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Challenger_Disaster

Unread 05-07-2022, 06:57 PM
ragnorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
very nice

One of my little pleasures is listening to In Our Time on radio 4, no doubt my science education has been vastly improved by it

Unread 05-07-2022, 07:03 PM
Fat Al

My science knowledge was improved merely by watching The Big Bang Theory.

Unread 05-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
My science knowledge was improved merely by watching The Big Bang Theory.
Star Trek for me. In fact, there is NOTHING I do not know about tachyons. If you give me a few minutes, I'll tell you all about them yesterday.

Unread 05-07-2022, 07:16 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
Star Trek for me. In fact, there is NOTHING I do not know about tachyons. If you give me a few minutes, I'll tell you all about them yesterday.