United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 14-06-2022, 11:14 AM
Poop

Default Android TV?

I've never used it but am interested. There is an electrical store nearby flogging cheap tv's with the tech built in. 150 for a 32" branded tv I've never heard tell of but better that than paying 700 for an LG model and being disappointed with it.

Can you download all the same apps from the Play Store for your phone/android box and they work with the tv version of android? Or does the tv have uts own specific apps? The obvious thing I want to put on it is you-know-what which is against site rules to mention here.

And what is the overall experience like? More or less a tv with a built in android box or slow and clunky like a shitty ten tear old Roku box with a miniscule selection of apps?

Unread 14-06-2022, 11:46 AM
Kent Brockman

Just buy a fire stick. It gets regular updates and you can always buy the newer version in a few years. Tvs with built-in Android are typically laggy and will only get worse over time, even the high end Sonys have an inferior Android experience.

Unread 14-06-2022, 11:49 AM
red red robbo

I've had a Sony Android TV for a couple of years now and I find it really easy to use. It has all the same apps as you would get on a tablet/phone etc but obviously specific versions that work better on a TV. I have no idea if you can get the less than legitimate ones though, which I'm guessing would be a deal breaker for you.

As a way to get rid of all your external boxes and have everything in one place I can't fault it, other then one major gripe which is you can't setup the the ITV, CH4, CH5 streaming services without tuning the channels in first, which as we don't have an aerial is a bit of an issue. I don't really understand the point of having everything available via the web if you still need a bent coat hanger stuck in the back

Unread 14-06-2022, 12:25 PM
FraUtd

Picked up an Nvidia Shield Pro few years back, it runs Android TV
Main reason though was for all the main audio & video formats the shield supports, plus a gigabit nic for 4k streaming from a NAS

Android TV itself seems fine, just a dashboard for launching all the main streaming and catch up TV apps really

Does have some cloud based game streaming on it, but not really investigated

Unread 14-06-2022, 12:58 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraUtd
Picked up an Nvidia Shield Pro few years back, it runs Android TV
Main reason though was for all the main audio & video formats the shield supports, plus a gigabit nic for 4k streaming from a NAS

Android TV itself seems fine, just a dashboard for launching all the main streaming and catch up TV apps really

Does have some cloud based game streaming on it, but not really investigated
Shield Reds

The telly runs Netflix / Prime & iPlayer if I have any requirements, otherwise use the Shield for all other requirements. Runs as good as gold.

Unread 14-06-2022, 01:00 PM
Jethro

Don't bother with a TV. Good for a while but you'll find yourself constantly clearing the cache etc.

Get a zidoo box. Best bit of kit I've bought. Plays everything.

Unread 14-06-2022, 01:23 PM
Poop

I already have four boxes, just thought I'd opt for convenience with the tv.

Perhaps I might just spend the extra fifty and get another, an nVidia Shield, been promising myself one for ages.