United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink
Closed Thread

Unread 01-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Cheers Jack. I did 10 months alcohol-free in 2019 from February to December, and then caved last Christmas, so I've been determined to get to the full year mark this time around.

Main reason I've done it is to stop smoking, as I only really smoked when I drank, so a year off the fags has been the real reward.

If you want to do a similar challenge, try and link it with something else, such as saying you want to run a certain distance, and not drinking will help you get there. Otherwise it's hard to just give it up without another motivator underpinning it, I've found.
Great effort pal. Can you unlink drinking and smoking though? Ie if you had a drink now would you automatically reach for the tabs?

I found the drinking smoking linkage thing to be really tough. Went onto the vapes but have sacked them since lockdown. Main reason for sacking the vapes was image tbh. Vaping is v uncool. gothy tattoo types exhaling massive black currant and liquorice plumes.

Smoking is still cool though. Unfortunately.

Unread 01-01-2021, 06:44 PM
Coracao

Must be the most alcohol free year I've had since the age of about 15

Would have been even less if I didn't work in an environment where it was almost a pre-requisite. Thankfully, the fuĺl on 2 week piss in December didn't take place due to covid. Would have taken me a month to recover.

Reckon I can push this out until March

Unread 01-01-2021, 06:50 PM
M33mike

Have no will power at all when it comes to booze. Donít reckon Iíve gone more than a week without getting pissed since I was 18. Would like to do an extended break to be honest, but whenever anyone i meet in person says dry January or stoptober I feel I have to break out the booze to wash off associating with them

Unread 01-01-2021, 07:31 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Cheers Jack. I did 10 months alcohol-free in 2019 from February to December, and then caved last Christmas, so I've been determined to get to the full year mark this time around.

Main reason I've done it is to stop smoking, as I only really smoked when I drank, so a year off the fags has been the real reward.

If you want to do a similar challenge, try and link it with something else, such as saying you want to run a certain distance, and not drinking will help you get there. Otherwise it's hard to just give it up without another motivator underpinning it, I've found.
good advice that

it's weird because i didn't used to drink that much, but over last 2-3 years, i have got into the habit of doing it every friday and saturday. it's fair enough if you're going out and being sociable, but when you're just sat at home doing it, it seems a bit pointless.

my gf doesn't drink much, so i'm going to cut down to just saturday from next week, and then see how that goes.

linking it to weight loss and fitness is a good idea though. empty calories won't do me any favours there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33mike
Have no will power at all when it comes to booze. Donít reckon Iíve gone more than a week without getting pissed since I was 18. Would like to do an extended break to be honest, but whenever anyone i meet in person says dry January or stoptober I feel I have to break out the booze to wash off associating with them
definitely agree with that

Unread 01-01-2021, 07:46 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Great effort pal. Can you unlink drinking and smoking though? Ie if you had a drink now would you automatically reach for the tabs?

I found the drinking smoking linkage thing to be really tough. Went onto the vapes but have sacked them since lockdown. Main reason for sacking the vapes was image tbh. Vaping is v uncool. gothy tattoo types exhaling massive black currant and liquorice plumes.

Smoking is still cool though. Unfortunately.
I haven't tried to see if it's unlinked yet, and I'm too scared to see, hence why I've managed to get to a year with no booze!

Smoking really is unfortunately very cool. Awful that it's so unhealthy, as it really is so great. That first cigarette when you're about three pints in was unmatched bliss. Non-smokers will never understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
good advice that

it's weird because i didn't used to drink that much, but over last 2-3 years, i have got into the habit of doing it every friday and saturday. it's fair enough if you're going out and being sociable, but when you're just sat at home doing it, it seems a bit pointless.

my gf doesn't drink much, so i'm going to cut down to just saturday from next week, and then see how that goes.

linking it to weight loss and fitness is a good idea though. empty calories won't do me any favours there.
If you're only drinking at certain times, such as a Fri/Sat, then perhaps try and find a substitute activity to replace it. The culture at my work is that everyone goes to the pub on a Friday at 6pm, so I decided that I was going to commit to going to the gym every Friday at 6pm instead.

Everyone thought I was nuts, but it turned out to be an inspired decision, as not only did it help me cut out the end-of-week booze, but it also meant I never smoked, I saved money, I woke up every Saturday morning fresh as a daisy, and I realised the gym is absolutely dead on a Friday night, so I always had a great session with practically the whole place to myself.

Perhaps you can go for a run or do a home workout every Friday/Saturday now, instead of drinking. The fitness regime will quickly become a habit, with knock-on effects, as if you're exercising you'll naturally want to eat better; it will be a domino effect in improving your overall lifestyle. Just gotta have the discipline to commit to it for the first few weeks, and then it naturally becomes a habit.

Unread 01-01-2021, 07:57 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

If you're only drinking at certain times, such as a Fri/Sat, then perhaps try and find a substitute activity to replace it. The culture at my work is that everyone goes to the pub on a Friday at 6pm, so I decided that I was going to commit to going to the gym every Friday at 6pm instead.

Everyone thought I was nuts, but it turned out to be an inspired decision, as not only did it help me cut out the end-of-week booze, but it also meant I never smoked, I saved money, I woke up every Saturday morning fresh as a daisy, and I realised the gym is absolutely dead on a Friday night, so I always had a great session with practically the whole place to myself.

Perhaps you can go for a run or do a home workout every Friday/Saturday now, instead of drinking. The fitness regime will quickly become a habit, with knock-on effects, as if you're exercising you'll naturally want to eat better; it will be a domino effect in improving your overall lifestyle. Just gotta have the discipline to commit to it for the first few weeks, and then it naturally becomes a habit.
that's a really good suggestion mate. will try that.

Unread 01-01-2021, 09:05 PM
Carlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
that's a really good suggestion mate. will try that.
Or you could kick back and have a nice drinky drink at the end of a tough week. You deserve it champ. The gym can wait.

Unread 01-01-2021, 09:06 PM
AK14

Going to the gym on a Friday night is considered Ďnutsí

Unread 01-01-2021, 11:07 PM
MUFC One Love

It's just a habit init?

Once you break that I reckon you're sound. Going to do a few weeks. Should make the most of everywhere being shut and do it now.

My best mate sacked it off just over 2 years ago. He had to. Dependence etc, shit time for him but he got through it.

It's not necessarily the waking up fresh that is the best bit because I don't drink enough to get a hangover anymore (did last night) but I think even a few effects my mood, desire to do anything the next day etc. I reckon after sacking it off for a few weeks you would find it easier to do stuff and do things you enjoy.

Unread 01-01-2021, 11:26 PM
pc6090

Iím 41 days into not drinking. Only started due to being put on antibiotics but things escalated quite quickly and I ended up in hospital needing surgery. Finished the 6 week course of tablets last night but due to this and other health issues giving it a miss for about 6 months - I was what youíd call a heavy drinker/borderline alcoholic - every night it would be 2 or 3 pints then either a bottle of wine or half a bottle of vodka. Iíve tried before to cut down and only lasted a few weeks but this latest health issue scared me so itís time to be serious about knocking it on the head. Biggest issue Iíve had is not being able to sleep which has been going on for the last month.

Unread 02-01-2021, 03:27 AM
tatty

I've got a friend (believe it or not) who absolutely canes it for 11 months of the year and then becomes this crazed sober zealot for one month before kicking off the cycle again.

Drinking in moderation during any month he wants doesn't seem to be an option.

Unread 02-01-2021, 08:10 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090
Iím 41 days into not drinking. Only started due to being put on antibiotics but things escalated quite quickly and I ended up in hospital needing surgery. Finished the 6 week course of tablets last night but due to this and other health issues giving it a miss for about 6 months - I was what youíd call a heavy drinker/borderline alcoholic - every night it would be 2 or 3 pints then either a bottle of wine or half a bottle of vodka. Iíve tried before to cut down and only lasted a few weeks but this latest health issue scared me so itís time to be serious about knocking it on the head. Biggest issue Iíve had is not being able to sleep which has been going on for the last month.
f***ing hell - take care. I found CBD oil good for sleep.

Unread 02-01-2021, 08:46 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I've got a friend (believe it or not) who absolutely canes it for 11 months of the year and then becomes this crazed sober zealot for one month before kicking off the cycle again.

Drinking in moderation during any month he wants doesn't seem to be an option.
I know someone the same. Absolute piss head and then wants a virtual round of applause for not drinking for a few weeks. Find these sober months the oddest trend in recent times. Just drink less all year round if it bothers you that much.

Unread 02-01-2021, 08:48 AM
believe

Culture where I work is to drink every day so it's not going to be easy especially as I'll be travelling quite a bit from the 15th. We're trying to have kids so I've promised her I'll do three months without it Will hopefully be worth it though #dadsclub

Unread 02-01-2021, 09:16 AM
Hyman_Roth

Was going to try to go a few weeks without but have already put a bottle of wine in the fridge for this evening. 2nd Jan reds.

Wouldnít be so bad if it wasnít January and during a lock down. Thereís literally f*** all else to do other than have a drink.

Unread 02-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Red D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
Started getting really bad hangovers and the fear as I have got older so started this last January. Only had 3 nights on the ale last year, Christmas Day being the last time.

Wouldn't say I feel any better or any worse but the fears I got on Boxing Day made me realise I think its time I packed in for good.
What the f*** is this?

Itís happened to me when I hit 40. Can still drink a boat load, but the fear f*** me

My Christmas day hangover has just about gone now.

1 week sober reds

Unread 02-01-2021, 09:32 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Culture where I work is to drink every day so it's not going to be easy especially as I'll be travelling quite a bit from the 15th. We're trying to have kids so I've promised her I'll do three months without it Will hopefully be worth it though #dadsclub

Go for it mate - exciting times xxx

Unread 02-01-2021, 09:58 AM
Spock

it's a bastard to be sure I f***ing love drinking but have no off button, hence I will never just go for a pint, it has to be 5 at least, or if i open a bottle of wine I will finish it, or easily drink half a bottle of gin in a sitting (usually run out of tonic first)

I do try and keep it to weekends or days off but friday night then saturday then wine with Sunday lunch etc and Monday is

A month off is more of a break from routine, it's not a "detox". Also, as Neo says the link to smoking is so hard to break. I can go without easily enough but if out with a mate who smokes will easily do a packet it, that then rolls over to another packet Saturday and possibly Sunday. with fags if i have a packet I have to smoke them, whether I want one or not

Unread 02-01-2021, 10:03 AM
Arnold Muhren

Last night on the booze tonight, f*** going back to work Monday hungover. Decided to knock it in the head properly for at least 3 months. Being sober during the week and hungover at the weekends doesnít sound good to me when I weigh it up. The whiskey is getting hammered tonight though

Unread 02-01-2021, 03:32 PM
Fat Al

Decided to give it up from 1st Jan. tonight's gonna be the first booze free Saturday in God knows how long.

It's costing me a fortune & even my kids have been nagging me to quit as they're worried about my health.
They even discussed it with my parents.
Yup, that right. I'm 52 yrs old & my kids just grassed me up to my Mum.

Closed Thread