United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink
Closed Thread
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Hands of Scone
 
Default ‘Food deserts’ and ‘food poverty’ Guardian style

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...rts-says-study

Hattersley is a food desert apparently. Although, because the places are full of fatties theyve had to redefine ‘food poverty’ as not having 24hr access to fresh falafel and guava.

Has it occured to these nanny state ninnies that the sophisticated denizens of such places bote with their feet (mouths) and eat what they actually want? Fast food outlets do better business than mung bean bars and so thrive.

Quote:
supermarkets.


Get Society Weekly: our newsletter for public service professionals
Read more
Food deserts are defined by the report as neighbourhoods of between 5,000-15,000 people served by two or fewer big supermarkets. In “normal” areas of this size there are typically between three and seven large food stores, it says. Small shops are less likely to sell fresh or healthy food.
Meanwhile, Hattersley actually has an enormous tesco extra which presumably sells fruit and veg to the those that want it.

In short, at least as far as Hattersley is concerned - utter bullshit, which even were true would not be an issue.

What do they want? To force a community of ricky hatton’s to eat like Jacinta and Toby from Didsbury?
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 08:21 AM
no fun
 
Default

Drove past hattersley yesterday

Makes you think
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 08:23 AM
Hands of Scone
 
Default

My heart bleeds for this lazy cow

Quote:
The report cites Lisa Cauchi, a mother of eight in Salford, in the north-west of England, who said the nearest reliable source of affordable fresh fruit and vegetables was a big supermarket half an hour’s walk away. She occasionally gets a taxi but finds that depletes her food budget. “A taxi is a meal,” she said.
The guardian is up in arms action because a feckless mother of eight (f***ing eight kids did she stop to think how she would feed them before firing them out?) has to walk a mile and a half to a shop.

Is it a parody? Have I been had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Drove past hattersley yesterday

Makes you think
“glad I don’t live here”
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Child of Darkness
 
Default

They will be voting for Brexit next the poor misguided fools

There’s only a coop near me . Does that mean I’m impoverished ?

Any chance of some benefits then? Mobility scooter ?
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 08:30 AM
flixton
 
Default

Supermarkets deliver to you
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Lok
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
Supermarkets deliver to you
True, but they don't deliver up your stairs if your heavily pregnant.

And Asda charge £1 for it, the robbing bastards.
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 08:44 AM
flixton
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
True, but they don't deliver up your stairs if your heavily pregnant.

And Asda charge £1 for it, the robbing bastards.
Chances of me being heavily pregnant are pretty low to be honest.
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Hands of Scone
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
Chances of me being heavily pregnant are pretty low to be honest.
Transphobe.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7891226.html
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 09:02 AM
Harri Jaffa
 
Default

 
Unread 12-10-2018, 09:13 AM
dragflick
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...rts-says-study

Hattersley is a food desert apparently. Although, because the places are full of fatties theyve had to redefine ‘food poverty’ as not having 24hr access to fresh falafel and guava.

Has it occured to these nanny state ninnies that the sophisticated denizens of such places bote with their feet (mouths) and eat what they actually want? Fast food outlets do better business than mung bean bars and so thrive.



Meanwhile, Hattersley actually has an enormous tesco extra which presumably sells fruit and veg to the those that want it.

In short, at least as far as Hattersley is concerned - utter bullshit, which even were true would not be an issue.

What do they want? To force a community of ricky hatton’s to eat like Jacinta and Toby from Didsbury?
Carvery pub, Maccies and a Tesco Extra over the road from each other in Hattersleh, don't know what more they could want tbh.
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Hands of Scone
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
I’ve only read the headline of that. That’s part of it. There are many other factors. Give a homeless piccadilly garden spice head a shit load of cash and see how long before he’s back on the streets.

That’s not the issue here. The article is taking about proximity to supermarkets and obesity. It’s a scandal, apparently, that people have access to two supermarkets when some people have access to seven. Which in itself is surprising because guardian types usually rail against the evils of big supermarkets and here they are demanding... well, I dont know what t seems to be just pointless whinging that helps no one, but it’s another ‘equality’ issue.

Now we have to ensure that all people are equidistant to the same number of shops selling the same goods. Is that not a bit like central planning? Where has that been tried I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Carvery pub, Maccies and a Tesco Extra over the road from each other in Hattersleh, don't know what more they could want tbh.
They’re happy as larry. The businesses they frequent do well. The chattering classes won’t have it though.

“Dahling, do you know those awful poor people in the slums don’t even eat avocado and loganberry tapanade?”

“It’s clear. We must do their thinking for them, my dear”
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 09:30 AM
Harri Jaffa
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
I’ve only read the headline of that. That’s part of it. There are many other factors. Give a homeless piccadilly garden spice head a shit load of cash and see how long before he’s back on the streets.

That’s not the issue here. The article is taking about proximity to supermarkets and obesity. It’s a scandal, apparently, that people have access to two supermarkets when some people have access to seven. Which in itself is surprising because guardian types usually rail against the evils of big supermarkets and here they are demanding... well, I dont know what t seems to be just pointless whinging that helps no one, but it’s another ‘equality’ issue.

Now we have to ensure that all people are equidistant to the same number of shops selling the same goods. Is that not a bit like central planning? Where has that been tried I wonder?
Watch the whole thing rather than responding with a stereotypical one dimensional viewpoint...
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 09:43 AM
TravellingRed
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
My heart bleeds for this lazy cow



The guardian is up in arms action because a feckless mother of eight (f***ing eight kids did she stop to think how she would feed them before firing them out?) has to walk a mile and a half to a shop.

Is it a parody? Have I been had?



“glad I don’t live here”
Maybe she had eight children then her husband left her died? Maybe he was in a decently paid job. Maybe he died. Maybe she is just a dosser with 8 kids to eight different dads. I don't know hence why I wouldn't like to presume.

I have three sisters and my mum doesn't drive, my dad was the main bread winner in the family. If he'd died or run off my mother could have been viewed in the same light by someone who didn't know the circumstances.

But anyway yeah the poorest in society are definitely the people we should be focusing on for our country's ills.
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Throw
 
Default

Tiramisu is my favourite food desert.
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 10:47 AM
rubbernecker
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Watch the whole thing rather than responding with a stereotypical one dimensional viewpoint...
It's his standard M O

Pick some low hanging fruit

Ignore any historical background ,context or science

Then introduce that as proof of a world gone mad that only the common sense wisdom of HOS can save us from
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Harri Jaffa
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
It's his standard M O

Pick some low hanging fruit

Ignore any historical background ,context or science

Then introduce that as proof of a world gone mad that only the common sense wisdom of HOS can save us from
You can hear the thinking of his mind/persona long before he posts. "Well 50 years ago people in Sunderland hadn't even heard of gogi berries..."

What does that actually mean when you beeak it down? That in order for things to be ok in his world, everything from Sunderland that existed (no more no less) needs to be put back into Sunderland and kept there forever...

It's the argument capabilities of an entitled 4 year old
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Sparky***
 
Default

f***ing northerners moaning again.

Food deserts ffs. I've never heard such balls. I thought you lot were all hardy types who scoff at soft arses down south for cancelling trains when it snows or whatever?

f***ing state of yous. Maybe putting the shops so far away could act as an incentive to do a bit of walking and help with your morbid obesity crisis that you have up there.
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 11:15 AM
rubbernecker
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
f***ing northerners moaning again.

Food deserts ffs. I've never heard such balls. I thought you lot were all hardy types who scoff at soft arses down south for cancelling trains when it snows or whatever?

f***ing state of yous. Maybe putting the shops so far away could act as an incentive to do a bit of walking and help with your morbid obesity crisis that you have up there.


 
Unread 12-10-2018, 11:24 AM
no fun
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
f***ing northerners moaning again.

Food deserts ffs. I've never heard such balls. I thought you lot were all hardy types who scoff at soft arses down south for cancelling trains when it snows or whatever?

f***ing state of yous. Maybe putting the shops so far away could act as an incentive to do a bit of walking and help with your morbid obesity crisis that you have up there.
If you ever saw hattersley you would have more sympathy, I can guarantee there is nowhere as grim down south

Famous residents....Myra hindley, Ian Brady, dale cregan and Ricky Hatton

I very nearly lived there, thank f*** me dad made the right choice
 
Unread 12-10-2018, 12:00 PM
waynes ear's
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Carvery pub, Maccies and a Tesco Extra over the road from each other in Hattersleh, don't know what more they could want tbh.
a wash?
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: ‘Food deserts’ and ‘food poverty’ Guardian style
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best food you've ever had? Baron Food and Drink 69 02-10-2014 06:02 PM
Top 10 food countries for eating food well and stuff forzagarza Food and Drink 15 14-04-2010 01:10 PM
Food heaven/ Food Hell forzagarza Food and Drink 15 27-03-2010 09:53 PM
"We need the food, because it's food and stuff. And organic food is good also..." Serenity Now Food and Drink 4 27-07-2009 03:36 AM
Indian food makes Chinese food taste like Fuzzy Dunlop Food and Drink 24 08-01-2007 02:02 PM
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2022 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.