United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink
Closed Thread

Unread 30-11-2012, 02:14 PM
stax

Default Home Brew Fredsters

...a question. I'm thinking of doing some home brew (this kit looks good). It says it needs to be kept at 18-20 degrees C to ferment for seven days. There's no way I'm keeping the heating on all night so what's the best way to keep it at the correct temp? Any tips gratefully received.

Unread 30-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Harri Jaffa

Thumbs up

Take the kit on holiday with you

Unread 30-11-2012, 02:24 PM
TravellingRed

Use a heater like you use in a tropical fish tank, set it to about 20 degrees. Just make sure you sterilise it first.

Unread 30-11-2012, 02:28 PM
stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed81
Use a heater like you use in a tropical fish tank, set it to about 20 degrees. Just make sure you sterilise it first.
OK, so you put in the fermenting barrel with the brew? Sounds good, I was thinking about one of those heated strap things....or getting it a sleeping bag

Unread 30-11-2012, 02:33 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
OK, so you put in the fermenting barrel with the brew? Sounds good, I was thinking about one of those heated strap things....or getting it a sleeping bag
Yeah just put it in there and you could wrap a sleeping bag or sleeping mat round it but I don't bother. It's a bucket for fermenting, put the top on loosely to start with then after about a day you'll see the yeast head form, skim the brown bits (trub) off and you can leave the lid off then as the head will protect it. It probably won't take 7 days anyway I've had them done in 3 depending on the yeast.

I used to use the kits, they're alright but not the best. I started to make my own from scratch with the malt grains and hops and the difference is huge, a lot more effort involved but I have it as a bit of a hobby

Unread 30-11-2012, 02:35 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yeah just put it in there and you could wrap a sleeping bag or sleeping mat round it but I don't bother. It's a bucket for fermenting, put the top on loosely to start with then after about a day you'll see the yeast head form, skim the brown bits (trub) off and you can leave the lid off then as the head will protect it. It probably won't take 7 days anyway I've had them done in 3 depending on the yeast.

I used to use the kits, they're alright but not the best. I started to make my own from scratch with the malt grains and hops and the difference is huge, a lot more effort involved but I have it as a bit of a hobby
Bit of a nerd aren't you travvers, a cool nerd I'll give you that but still a nerd

Unread 30-11-2012, 02:41 PM
stax

Quote:

So something like this would do?

Also, when it's fermented, is it best to use a barrel or bottles to store?

Thanks btw

Unread 30-11-2012, 02:55 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
Bit of a nerd aren't you travvers, a cool nerd I'll give you that but still a nerd
Making beer isn't nerdy

yhbr btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
So something like this would do?

Also, when it's fermented, is it best to use a barrel or bottles to store?

Thanks btw
That's the ticket.

If your drinking it within a few weeks keep it in the pressure barrel, bottling is a pain in the hole I only do it as I usually have a few different brews bottled so I don't have to drink them all at the same time and it does slightly improve in the bottle but you probs wouldn't notice the difference in a kit. If you do drink it from the barrel crack the top a little bit to let off the gas that will have come off it as its aging otherwise when you open the tap it will be a bit lively!

Edit: And don't bother buying sterilising tablets just used watered down bleach (not pine scented or owt!) for sterilising your buckets and stuff.

Unread 30-11-2012, 03:02 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Making beer isn't nerdy

yhbr btw.

That's the ticket.

If your drinking it within a few weeks keep it in the pressure barrel, bottling is a pain in the hole I only do it as I usually have a few different brews bottled so I don't have to drink them all at the same time and it does slightly improve in the bottle but you probs wouldn't notice the difference in a kit. If you do drink it from the barrel crack the top a little bit to let off the gas that will have come off it as its aging otherwise when you open the tap it will be a bit lively!

Edit: And don't bother buying sterilising tablets just used watered down bleach (not pine scented or owt!) for sterilising your buckets and stuff.
Only joking pal, top red top nerd

Unread 30-11-2012, 03:11 PM
stax

Quote:
Making beer isn't nerdy

yhbr btw.

That's the ticket.

I think we can safely assume that....cheers
Closed Thread