Was a failure at United 10 21.74%
Was not a failure at United 36 78.26%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:09 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
If he was a success surely he’d still be here?
So Stam was a failure as well?

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:12 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
So Stam was a failure as well?
Not sure what the comparison is. Ferguson had reasons (which he since said he regretted) so it’s a completely a anomaly.

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:16 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the heathen
Neither of those options seem to cover it.

There should be an option for 'wasn't a complete failure but was slow and therefore relatively shit'.
there's no need for a 3rd option. Lok said he, like Donny, was a failure at United. He wasn't though.

He came, settled quickly, played decent without being anything special (who was expecting amazing for 13m?, but he had mostly better games than bad ones, way more), covered a few positions, was sold after 2 seasons for more (or at least the same) as we paid for him.

Not sure how that translates as a failure because he was slow, or because he was eventually sold* or because Lok found some vids of him making a bad pass.**

* didn't mourinho come in. loads of players are sold when new managers come in, doesn't mean they were failures.
**spoiler, even the best players in the world have made bad passes.

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:18 PM
believe

Seems like a return to Ajax was perfect for him. From his wiki:

Quote:
On 16 December 2018, Blind scored his first senior hat-trick, in an 8–0 league win over De Graafschap at home, whilst playing as a centre-back

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:21 PM
Medlock

Let's hope that Lok is in a timezone where it's reasonable to be incoherently drunk at this hour

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:21 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Not sure what the comparison is. Ferguson had reasons (which he since said he regretted) so it’s a completely a anomaly.
your point was he'd been sold, ergo he must, by definition have been a failure. my example was of someone that was sold and wasn't a failure. the fact there were 'reasons' only illustrates the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
Let's hope that Lok is in a timezone where it's reasonable to be incoherently drunk at this hour

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:22 PM
ryanMUFC

He was decent.

I’m not sure you can consider many players a success post Ferguson considering we haven’t had much success.

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:23 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
your point was he'd been sold, ergo he must, by definition have been a failure. my example was of someone that was sold and wasn't a failure. the fact there were 'reasons' only illustrates the point.

Bit we know the reasons Stan was sold just like we know the reasons Blind was sold. He was sold because he was a bit shit and the manager didn’t want him. If he’d have been a success he’d have been an integral part of the team and would be kept.

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:24 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Classic Buunks, could write all of his football opinions across the great wall of China and still they'd all be wrong.

Good lad apparently though....

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Neo

Thumbs up

Very few things as aesthetically pleasing in the modern game as a defender who is great on the ball, pinging accurate, long-range passes and piercing through balls forward with his left peg, and Blind was great at it.

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:26 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
He was decent.

I’m not sure you can consider many players a success post Ferguson considering we haven’t had much success.
The team as a whole being unsuccessful doesn’t mean players cannot be seen as successful signings. He was also a key part of Mourinho’s treble winning team - which is one of our more successful seasons since Sir Alex left.

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:28 PM
AK14

Our best left back since Evra imo.

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:30 PM
believe

This is how good he was (also from wiki)
Quote:
He began the 2016–17 Premier League season as first choice center-back alongside Chris Smalling, however, lost his place in the team following a return to form of Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo.

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:33 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
The team as a whole being unsuccessful doesn’t mean players cannot be seen as successful signings. He was also a key part of Mourinho’s treble winning team - which is one of our more successful seasons since Sir Alex left.
He’s probably not one of the names people would mention as a successful signing on that basis.

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:33 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
this is how good he was (also from wiki)
23 - 0

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:36 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
He’s probably not one of the names people would mention as a successful signing on that basis.
24 people have already said he was a successful signing

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:54 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Must be true then

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:54 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
I mean, I voted to say he wasn't a failure, not that he was a success. There is a difference...

Unread 30-08-2023, 03:58 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Must be true then
I’m not saying it’s true - you’re the one that said people wouldn’t call him a success. I’m pointing out that people already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
I mean, I voted to say he wasn't a failure, not that he was a success. There is a difference...
Yeah that’s fair. I think speaking relatively, and taking into consideration the amount of dross we’ve signed over the past decade, he’s certainly one of our more successful signings.

Unread 30-08-2023, 04:00 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
I’m not saying it’s true - you’re the one that said people wouldn’t call him a success. I’m pointing out that people already have.

Oh. Sounds like you’re being pedantic. Enjoy your day.
Closed Thread