Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
nani with aids
Might stick..
NWA

Unread 24-08-2023, 12:55 PM
goldfinger II

People go on about him needing to work on his right foot and whatnot but I'd suggest he needs to learn how to use his left one first, because it's £#%&!ing rubbish.

The vast majority of all his shots and crosses are not just bad, they're way, way off the mark. He is such a poor striker of the ball. It often takes him too long to sort his feet out, then he is scooping and shoveling the ball at the intended target - just awful.

Fair enough - he works hard and always takes the ball and is always trying things, but if his attempts are largely shite and kill our attacks stone dead, I'd argue that it would be better not to give him the ball at all. His output per attempts ratio is pathetic, tbh. I'm all for breaking eggs but his attempts are so many and successes so few that the law of averages cannot be ruled out as a reason for them.

I mean, you'd like to think that his numbers would simply improve with age and hard work, but the talent has to be there and I just don't see it in him. If it's there, he hasn't shown it.

I would much rather see us blood Pellistri and Diallo and take a hit on immediate results. Let Antony get wound up by being dropped. See if it helps.

Unread 24-08-2023, 12:59 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II

The vast majority of all his shots and crosses are not just bad, they're way, way off the mark. He is such a poor striker of the ball. It often takes him too long to sort his feet out, then he is scooping and shoveling the ball at the intended target - just awful.
Just awful...

https://youtu.be/McTAy8skbW8?si=kEy_nwf6z1zUhH-n

Unread 24-08-2023, 01:07 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Can't be bothered having the same arguments week in week out so will leave a definitive poll so we can put it to bed and in a year or two one side can say I told you so.
Well that worked well.

Unread 24-08-2023, 01:13 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
The momentum killing thing I understand, but a lot of the time it’s because he’s the furthest man forward and has no one in the box and is waiting for support rather than trying to beat the entire defence on his own.

I’ve been saying it since he arrived, but we lean left as an attacking team and he either doesn’t get the ball early enough, or gets it with no £#%&!er within 40 yards of him in a red shirt.
Both paras: Absolutely .. not totally convinced with him but the lad is a grafter and definitely has potential but wtf is he supposed to do without a striker or even proper playmaker ? Cross it to himself ? Just hoping we might see him come good this season.

Unread 24-08-2023, 01:21 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
The momentum killing thing I understand, but a lot of the time it’s because he’s the furthest man forward and has no one in the box and is waiting for support rather than trying to beat the entire defence on his own.

I’ve been saying it since he arrived, but we lean left as an attacking team and he either doesn’t get the ball early enough, or gets it with no £#%&!er within 40 yards of him in a red shirt.
Don’t think it helps when his fullback (dalot to AWB) struggles to play well in attacking positions on a regular basis

Unread 24-08-2023, 02:27 PM
AK14

Quote:

Definitely this.

Unread 24-08-2023, 02:30 PM
Offerington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Say no more..

The way people go on about Antony is genuinely unbelievable. He had a much better first season than Sancho yet Sanho was barely criticised.

I like both players for the record and i think both need to do more from an attacking POV but their striker options have been martial and Weghorst ffs

Unread 24-08-2023, 05:28 PM
Ethers

Genuinely think some people must watch a different sport to me.

There’s definitely things to criticise about Antony’s game, I think a lot of Keith’s point have merit for instance.

But someone having a go at him for being a poor striker of the ball, £#%&! me

Unread 24-08-2023, 05:48 PM
jesper

He needs to learn to make much better decisions, that curling left foot shot every time is way too predictable. It's also pathetic that a player can reach pro level with only one foot, I only played Sunday league but I practiced enough to be decent on my weaker foot.

Having said that, he definitely has the ability and works hard for the team. The price tag isn't his fault, at 30-40m he'd be an excellent signing. Hopefully having a proper striker up front will transform his game.

Unread 24-08-2023, 06:00 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesper
He needs to learn to make much better decisions, that curling left foot shot every time is way too predictable. It's also pathetic that a player can reach pro level with only one foot, I only played Sunday league but I practiced enough to be decent on my weaker foot.

Having said that, he definitely has the ability and works hard for the team. The price tag isn't his fault, at 30-40m he'd be an excellent signing. Hopefully having a proper striker up front will transform his game.
How many mainly right footed players can use their left foot ?

Absolutely ridiculous thing to slate him for, he also scored with his right last season ...

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:04 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
How many mainly right footed players can use their left foot ?

Absolutely ridiculous thing to slate him for, he also scored with his right last season ...
If he's left footed, and shit on the right, play him on the left. Give Sancho a chance on the right. Could be like Giggs and Kanchelskis all over again...

At least we might get some crosses in.

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:27 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offerington
Say no more..

The way people go on about Antony is genuinely unbelievable. He had a much better first season than Sancho yet Sanho was barely criticised.

I like both players for the record and i think both need to do more from an attacking POV but their striker options have been martial and Weghorst ffs
Sancho got absolutely slated And deservedly so. They have both had underwhelming first seasons with very similar outputs (and Antony cost more)

It’s absolutely right to demand more from him. He’s miles off the standard and has to start doing better. He hasn’t had a run of games where he’s been influential, or even a run where you could say he got the better of his fullback but he starts every week. Like it or not we are going to look for a spark from our 100m pound winger and he’s repeatedly failed to provide it.

His last prem goal was in April against Forest. Prior to that it was his 3rd game for the club in September. It’s piss poor.

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:37 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
wtf is he supposed to do without a striker or even proper playmaker ? Cross it to himself ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesper
He needs to learn to make much better decisions, that curling left foot shot every time is way too predictable.
the problem with having left-footed players on the right and right-footed players on the left is that it encourages them to cut in and shoot, rather than take the man on on the outside and cross. this is fine if we play with split strikers, but when we have a focus in the middle it will help the striker to have the ball coming back to him, not running away from him (cross or through ball). I don't like the fact that the wingers will have to cut back to cross either.

speaking as a centre forward, that is. the wingers need to graft for the striker, not seek glory. I like pellistri on the right.

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:49 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
but when we have a focus in the middle it will help the striker to have the ball coming back to him, not running away from him (cross or through ball).

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:52 PM
Bunker Buster

Pellestri with his 0 goals and 1 assist in his entire career at United....

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:56 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
a cross from a right-footed player from the right is going to curl away from the goal onto his head as he moves forward, not away from him towards the keeper - so the header is struck rather than glanced. similarly, on a through ball, the ball is coming in to his feet as he runs through, he's not chasing the ball as it curls away from him. hope that helps.

Quote:
how many times has he played?

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:57 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Great ratio compared to the fraud currently occupying the right wing.

Literally don't more than Antony has.

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:58 PM
Bunker Buster

Enough.

Unread 24-08-2023, 07:58 PM
jem

I am a master of the glancing header as well, obvs.
Closed Thread