Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Will Antony turn out a good signing
Yes 41 52.56%
No 37 47.44%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:14 AM
suedeshoes

He's got 'Spurs player' written all over him.

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:16 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
All the ones who didn't play for ajax / have more than 50pc Dutch gene heritage?

]
Ajax aren't even my favourite Dutch team FFS....

You know who else bought Erik's Ajax champions league team though don't you, Bayern, juve, inter, Barcelona.....

I'm not Eriksons biggest fan (think he's finished) don't think Malacia will be knocking down doors anytime soon....

So it doesn't work like this, being trans Dutch & a united fan I'll admit is great at the moment, but it isn't the be all and end all.....

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:17 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I would expect a player at his price to hit the ground running.
there is an element of expectations being based on price. we overpaid massively.

he's ok. works hard and has scored some cracking goals, but is inconsistent.

I am slightly concerned that we are pinning our hopes on hojlund, but we don't have players to supply him with quick balls behind the defence or good crosses. antony's lack of a right foot doesn't help. we don't have any proper wingers. pellistri, maybe.

not worth a poll, tbh. he's got more about him than mount. not that that is any kind of bar.

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:19 AM
atticusgrinch

To be a good signing he has to be an £80m good signing.

I've voted yes, but more in hope than expectation.

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:27 AM
Hyman_Roth

Whether I want him to succeed or whether he will or not are different questions. I desperately hope he turns it round but I can’t see that he will given his eye watering limitations. Will be delighted to be wrong.

I think he’ll end up being a nothing player - will do enough to appease the masses - but not enough to really contribute. People frothing at the slit because he does that spin round thing on the halfway line but then overlook the fact he can’t cross the ball sums up modern united fans.

I’m just struggling to see how he’s going to be able to service a competent CF based on the way he currently plays - his only use up top is to re-cycle the ball to someone like AWB who will try and cross it (badly) or him trying to do his trademark shot. It’s painful stuff. Play him on the left ffs where you would imagine he would be more effective.

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:30 AM
dunk

You imagine he’ll be more effective because you’re stuck on the idea a winger should beat his man on the outside and whip a cross in. That’s not what wingers do any more and haven’t for a while. It’d be nice to have someone that does that, can’t think of anyone though.

Remember when Moyes and Ole’s teams got slagged for just spamming crosses into the box

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:30 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Ajax aren't even my favourite Dutch team FFS....

You know who else bought Erik's Ajax champions league team though don't you, Bayern, juve, inter, Barcelona.....

I'm not Eriksons biggest fan (think he's finished) don't think Malacia will be knocking down doors anytime soon....

So it doesn't work like this, being trans Dutch & a united fan I'll admit is great at the moment, but it isn't the be all and end all.....
van streek gemaakt

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:35 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You imagine he’ll be more effective because you’re stuck on the idea a winger should beat his man on the outside and whip a cross in. That’s not what wingers do any more and haven’t for a while. It’d be nice to have someone that does that, can’t think of anyone though.

Remember when Moyes and Ole’s teams got slagged for just spamming crosses into the box
I’m not stuck with the idea. Just not blown away on an £86m player killing momentum and never ever shooting or crossing whenever the opportunity is on his right…..

It shouldn’t be too much to ask that a player commanding that value can do the basics whilst playing in a modern role. Try him on the left occasionally - allow him and sancho to swap during matches. Try something different….

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:37 AM
est.1878

70 mins impact sub...

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:38 AM
dunk

The momentum killing thing I understand, but a lot of the time it’s because he’s the furthest man forward and has no one in the box and is waiting for support rather than trying to beat the entire defence on his own.

I’ve been saying it since he arrived, but we lean left as an attacking team and he either doesn’t get the ball early enough, or gets it with no £#%&!er within 40 yards of him in a red shirt.

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:39 AM
windy waffles

He's a poor man's Memphis. At least Memphis was a goal threat.

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:40 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
No.

We've bought dozens of players that imo will never get or be united...
Agree, Sniderlin (sp), Maguire, Beek, etc.

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:41 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
He's a poor man's Memphis. At least Memphis was a goal threat.
He didn’t get the time needed before he was hounded out either.

Unread 24-08-2023, 11:56 AM
Vedder

He makes me pine for Valencia. A winger who can’t run, pass, shoot or cross our worst ever signing.

Unread 24-08-2023, 12:03 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
He makes me pine for Valencia. A winger who can’t run, pass, shoot or cross our worst ever signing.
Probably the thickest comment I’ve ever read on here when you remember we’ve still got Maguire stinking the place out.

Unread 24-08-2023, 12:18 PM
Mr_Ed

I know the world has changed but why not give him a stint on the left and let him run at some players and maybe get the odd cross in?

Unread 24-08-2023, 12:27 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I know the world has changed but why not give him a stint on the left and let him run at some players and maybe get the odd cross in?
One step at a time hey pal, you’re basically asking him to improve every aspect of his game in one swift move. Move him to the left and start from there.

Unread 24-08-2023, 12:31 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Biggest flip flopper on here.....

Just reading your post lady season on a match thread where you said you were WRONG to so quickly judge him.....

Some mad lads on here.....

Unread 24-08-2023, 12:44 PM
Ethers

The irony of this being started by the bloke who has spent years insisting Fred was a good signing shouldn’t be lost on anyone.

Unread 24-08-2023, 12:48 PM
ScarFace

nani with aids
Closed Thread