Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
What did you want to be? Lion Tamer, Lumberjack
I always wanted to be Batman.

Failing that I just wanted to be Chevy Chase.

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
What did you want to be? Lion Tamer, Lumberjack
I never really saw the point of wanting to be anything in particular. People work for money. There are very few "careers" where you would carry on after winning the lottery. As a result, I just wanted to do whatever job made me rich. No, it didn't turn out as I'd have wanted before anyone asks. I'm 35 and working 50 hours a week, how did that happen? I should be on a beach with some young fit birds snatch in my face instead.

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Someone posted this on RI the other day, thought it was an interesting and pretty easy to understand take on things.
Not being an expert in these matters (MASSIVE understatement), but that sounds realistic and accurate.

Remember the debate (re-hashed) on here recently about Fergie being in a position to stop the take-over by refusing to stay?

Ties in nicely with the bit about needing on-field success to keep the income high.

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I never really saw the point of wanting to be anything in particular. People work for money. There are very few "careers" where you would carry on after winning the lottery. As a result, I just wanted to do whatever job made me rich. No, it didn't turn out as I'd have wanted before anyone asks. I'm 35 and working 50 hours a week, how did that happen? I should be on a beach with some young fit birds snatch in my face instead.
Quality film.

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan
Quality film.

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:06 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
I think you missed the point

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Snatch

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan
Snatch
Did my rant sound like a quote from Snatch? It was entirely coincidental if so. Maybe I've got completely the wrong end of the stick - again.

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Did my rant sound like a quote from Snatch? It was entirely coincidental if so. Maybe I've got completely the wrong end of the stick - again.
No, I made a crap joke about you saying Snatch on your face.

That is all.

As you were...

Unread 06-05-2008, 01:28 PM
redloner

Quote:
1. There is no "net debt" of £ 666million at 30/6/07.
No. That is correct. The actual wording from page one of the accounts of Red Shareholder Limited is;-

"At 30th June 2007, the Group had net debt of £604.6m."

I wasn't sure if this was to confirm there was no debt, or the debt is actually less than the amount quoted. Still, it's nice to be able to read the Accounts and quote directly from them.

Unread 06-05-2008, 10:02 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
yes it is.

acid test ratio and current ratio.
anyone who used the current ratio to explain the state of a business would need shooting.

and auditors qualify the accounts if they don't represent an accurate picture of the business. the auditors don't write a broker's report.

all you need to know is there is a lot of debt and every bit of it is unnecessary.

goodwill, incidentally, is the difference between the amount paid for united and the balance sheet net worth of united. it has £#%&! all to do with "what someone would be prepared to pay for united" and the goodwill will be in the holding company accounts, not united's. the perception that the assets (such as player values) are underestimated might make someone pay more for united, but acquisitions tend to be based primarily on earnings multiples. goodwill is just an accounting plug. no more and no less. using it to prove you have a "solvent balance sheet" is ridiculous.

Unread 06-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Ed Sullivan

I remember acid test ratios from GCSE Business Studies

Unread 06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
chorleyred

I wanna know where asda and tesco came into it, do we owe them now too?

Unread 06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
magic_cantona

I like to ignore the bad news about 'the debt' and The Glazers.

In fact, I'm a Debt Denyer.

Unread 06-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
anyone who used the current ratio to explain the state of a business would need shooting.

and auditors qualify the accounts if they don't represent an accurate picture of the business. the auditors don't write a broker's report.

all you need to know is there is a lot of debt and every bit of it is unnecessary.

goodwill, incidentally, is the difference between the amount paid for united and the balance sheet net worth of united. it has £#%&! all to do with "what someone would be prepared to pay for united" and the goodwill will be in the holding company accounts, not united's. the perception that the assets (such as player values) are underestimated might make someone pay more for united, but acquisitions tend to be based primarily on earnings multiples. goodwill is just an accounting plug. no more and no less. using it to prove you have a "solvent balance sheet" is ridiculous.
maybe true, but even so the point is that someone may be prepared to pay quite a bit more for United than the banking industry ... er sorry, than the Glazers did if the team they are assembling, albeit on the never never, continues on its merry way to world domination, no?!

assuming the television companies don't have cause to pull the plug any time soon, of course.

Unread 06-05-2008, 10:43 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Default buying tenners for fivers

and we dont need some council muppet on an affirmative action job creation scheme to not explain the figures to us.

Facts are - those @#%&!s bought our club for a fiver and will sell it for a tenner - in the meantime they'll pay the interest on the fiver they had to borrow, from corporate profits. the glazers will make about 500 mill on the deal all in.

£#%&! me i wish i bougth the club.
Closed Thread