United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-09-2019, 08:29 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
When he first came through under LvG he actually scored proper "center forward" goals. In the vicinity of the six yard box. Making runs across the near post. First time finishes from pull backs.

I think putting him on the wing has done him a problem. I can get why you stick Martial out there (he's a far better dribbler than Rashford and more naturally talented with the ball imo). But putting Rashford out there to me took away the instincts he was showing initially as a poacher and instilled bad habits such as greediness and overcomplicating things.
Yep, agree with that. With hindsight he should have been used less frequently on the left and given more opportunities up top.

Needs to get back to the player he was, but both himself and ole seem to think he’s more than just a 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
I hate the idea that many young footballers need to emulate ronaldos style and physique and such.

Its good to look up to him, but you have to look at your own weaknesses and develop them. There wont be another ronaldo. They shouldnt be copying him in that aspect. Everybodys progression is different.

I dont think the formation helps him either as our number 10 is always non existant .
Agree, especially with the number 10 point. Can Gomes be that player in a the future? But until then we surely need to change the formation.

Unread 15-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Yep, agree with that. With hindsight he should have been used less frequently on the left and given more opportunities up top.

Needs to get back to the player he was, but both himself and ole seem to think he’s more than just a 9.

Agree, especially with the number 10 point. Can Gomes be that player in a the future? But until then we surely need to change the formation.
They may aswell give gomes a try , he cant be any worse than mata or lingard.

Fred plays with a higher tempo than both of them, maybe his future lies as a number 10?

I would welcome a formation change with three CMs which almost always allows cover for pogba and fred/The Scottish Players inevitable #@&%! ups.

Pogbas biggest issue is that whilst he does 2/3 things in a game that no other player we have , could even possibly attempt, he gets caught out almost twice as much each game.

Having two CMs near him may just plug that gap. There are alot of Ifs and Buts and it will be a long season.

No doubt players like rashford and pogba will draw criticism and rightly so if they prove to have bad games. Ultimately there isnt a genuine person here who thinks we will win the league and suddenly turn fantastic again. Everybody is dealing with man utd their own way, it doesnt mean that person is any more or less correct than the other.

We have a poor squad with some individuals who can have moments, some even match winning. Focus on the positives , for the first time in probably 8 transfee windows we signed players who seem to be playing well and still showing room for vast improvement.

Rashford , unfortunately for him , is only one of two players who can play in CF for us and he needs to up his game quickly. Can i see it happening? No, but i sure would love to be proven wrong

Unread 16-09-2019, 11:07 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Fair enough. So how would you assess his game today? Aside from the fact that he scored the only goal, which we totally agree on so we can take that as read.
Didn't see the game, but reluctant to take this particular thread as a guide. Been assured by some top reds he did alright in general. But ultimately he has to be a match winner and he was. Won the penalty; scored the penalty in a 1-0 victory. That's what strikers do.

Hopefully more of the same. Most agreed 15 league goals was a reasonable target.

Unread 16-09-2019, 11:13 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Didn't see the game, but reluctant to take this particular thread as a guide. Been assured by some top reds he did alright in general. But ultimately he has to be a match winner and he was. Won the penalty; scored the penalty in a 1-0 victory. That's what strikers do.

Hopefully more of the same. Most agreed 15 league goals was a reasonable target.
He did alright first half, stayed up against the CB's and in the width of the 18 yard box, held it up well on occasion etc. second half was isolated and had little to none of the ball until the last 20 minutes or so. Have to say though, his movement was non-existent at times, looked to be marking the CB's as much as the other way round. In the past he was constantly looking to be on the shoulder/run in behind and find space to receive the ball and I often felt sorry for him that the dicks in our team rarely spotted him or tried to play him in, far too often Saturday he offered nothing to the man in possession. Don't know if it's a confidence thing.

Took the kicks Saturday as well, got booted up in the air 6 or 7 times

Unread 16-09-2019, 11:16 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He did alright first half, stayed up against the CB's and in the width of the 18 yard box, held it up well on occasion etc. second half was isolated and had little to none of the ball until the last 20 minutes or so. Have to say though, his movement was non-existent at times, looked to be marking the CB's as much as the other way round. In the past he was constantly looking to be on the shoulder/run in behind and find space to receive the ball and I often felt sorry for him that the dicks in our team rarely spotted him or tried to play him in, far too often Saturday he offered nothing to the man in possession. Don't know if it's a confidence thing.

Took the kicks Saturday as well, got booted up in the air 6 or 7 times
Perhaps been told to hold his position more and be more of a reference point?

In fairness we don't ever look like a side that works on movement beyond when the game is stretched and Pogba gets it - run forward.

Unread 16-09-2019, 11:19 AM
dunk

Quote:

In fairness we don't ever look like a side that works on movement beyond when the game is stretched and Pogba gets it - run forward.
Possibly, but even on throw ins, no attempt was being made to shake off his marker to receive the ball at all, and when James, Pereira etc had it in wide areas he was showing nothing in terms of making a run in behind or showing for the ball..

Unread 16-09-2019, 11:21 PM
Sparky***

Unread 17-09-2019, 07:28 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I guess he really does " ...gets us".

Unread 17-09-2019, 01:11 PM
utd99

Quote:

Well there are only two possibilities; either they’re not being coached, or they’re not doing what the manager wants them to do. Given the constant streams of “We didn’t play well” in interviews with both players and manager I’d say there’s at least a possibility it’s the latter.

Unread 17-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Cream

Quote:
Well there are only two possibilities; either they’re not being coached, or they’re not doing what the manager wants them to do. Given the constant streams of “We didn’t play well” in interviews with both players and manager I’d say there’s at least a possibility it’s the latter.
Indeed young Rashford pointed out in that Lineker interview that the players can't always do what Ole wants them to do. Work in progress and all that.

Unread 17-09-2019, 01:34 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Indeed young Rashford pointed out in that Lineker interview that the players can't always do what Ole wants them to do. Work in progress and all that.
Shooting on target for a start isn't a tall order, let's be honest. If they can't do that, they need to get in the bin.

Unread 17-09-2019, 01:37 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Shooting on target for a start isn't a tall order, let's be honest. If they can't do that, they need to get in the bin.
You have to let a new team grow though, four / five games in and people pile on the team and rashford like this is a finished article....he's young, the team are infants, 3 new starters, new manager new tactics, NEW season.....

Jumping on rashford even after he scores the match winner...

How are they ever to grow as a team ?

When did we lose patience and trust....

How anyone can watch that video and not beilive in him and this team is beyond me

Unread 17-09-2019, 02:08 PM
believe

Thumbs up

#beilive

Unread 17-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
#beilive

Unread 17-09-2019, 02:36 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
You have to let a new team grow though, four / five games in and people pile on the team and rashford like this is a finished article....he's young, the team are infants, 3 new starters, new manager new tactics, NEW season.....

Jumping on rashford even after he scores the match winner...

How are they ever to grow as a team ?

When did we lose patience and trust....

How anyone can watch that video and not beilive in him and this team is beyond me
Yep

Sadly it's now at the point that a load of whiners on here would have been retweeting Hansen's kids comments.........and agreeing

Unread 17-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
#beilive
Couldn't be arsed to change it....

Deep fried #@&%!

Unread 17-09-2019, 02:57 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Couldn't be arsed to change it....

Deep fried #@&%!

Unread 17-09-2019, 05:05 PM
utd99

I don't think anyone's really jumping on him. Most United supporters I speak to really want this kid to succeed, but for all of the academy success we've had in the past we've also had a fair few who didn't work out. At what point do you make that determination?

I don't think it's unfair to comment on how he's doing on a game by game basis anymore than it is with The Scottish Player. He won the penalty, scored the winner, but his overall play wasn't great. That doesn't equate to scapegoating. What's the point in discussing games if we're not going to be honest?

Unread 17-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Ethers

Quote:
I don't think anyone's really jumping on him.
Aye, alright.

Unread 17-09-2019, 05:39 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Aye, alright.
1740 posts about how shit he apparently is
Closed Thread