United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:03 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Overall no, but I half expected him and Rashford to have problems under Mourinho. He was the worst manager for both and they'd probably be further along by now under someone else. But they have both shown a degree of resilience.

Martial has more goals this season than last. Again, ten league goals from 17 starts is hardly representative of stagnation. It suggests to me that we need to get him starting more games. Whether that's avoiding these recent injuries (think he's had four different types since December) or if he convinces managers that he doesn't need to be dropped to maintain focus.

I don't think I'v ever said Martial is a nailed on superstar. That's up to him. But I'd definitely be building with him as a starter next season.
I thought we were talking about Rashford tbh, but since we’re talking about Martial, and not wanting to appear over simplistic, what’s stopping him from playing more like Sterling? That kid never stops moving and gets himself into fantastic positions all game long as well as doing his bit defensively. Martial should be better than Sterling, but it isn’t even close.

messhead

Quote:
Overall no, but I half expected him and Rashford to have problems under Mourinho. He was the worst manager for both and they'd probably be further along by now under someone else. But they have both shown a degree of resilience.

Martial has more goals this season than last. Again, ten league goals from 17 starts is hardly representative of stagnation. It suggests to me that we need to get him starting more games. Whether that's avoiding these recent injuries (think he's had four different types since December) or if he convinces managers that he doesn't need to be dropped to maintain focus.

I don't think I'v ever said Martial is a nailed on superstar. That's up to him. But I'd definitely be building with him as a starter next season.
Was he moved out wide by Mourinho or Van Gaal? Was stupid doing that imo as he looked a natural striker. We definitely should bring in a clinical goal scorer in the summer, it's vital. Don't get rid of Martial or Rashford, we need options and on their day they are very good, if not great.

The squad needs a total overhaul, we simply must sign fullbacks and actual wingers in the summer. And midfielders. And centre backs.

Bunker Buster

Martial and rashford should be starting every game and have the attack built around and for them...

Simple Unitednomics

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:04 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I thought we were talking about Rashford tbh, but since we’re talking about Martial, and not wanting to appear over simplistic, what’s stopping him from playing more like Sterling? That kid never stops moving and gets himself into fantastic positions all game long as well as doing his bit defensively. Martial should be better than Sterling, but it isn’t even close.
Have said this before but if you put Martial in that City team he would be thriving. Our whole team is laborious in build up, it seems embedded in our style of play at the moment, can't blame him for that.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:05 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
Have said this before but if you put Martial in that City team he would be thriving. Our whole team is laborious in build up, it seems embedded in our style of play at the moment, can't blame him for that.
He’s part of the reason for that mate.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:11 PM
AK14

Quote:
Disagree.

He’d have been shipped out long ago.

No way Guardiola would put up with his half arssing it about the pitch as they get knocked out of the champions league quarter final by Spurs

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:11 PM
messhead

Quote:
He’s part of the reason for that mate.
I'm more inclined to believe standards have dropped at the club so that the team as a whole feel that they're doing what's expected of them. The standards at City are clearly different. Football, despite the constant training drills and exercises, is still an instinctive sport. As an attacker are you going to be inspired to keep making runs with the lack of structure in build up and the slow, stunted play? As a midfielder are you going to be looking up to play the ball in when no runs are being made? I'm genuinely not defending Martial, but rather saying his form is a symptom of the team as a whole.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:27 PM
utd99

Quote:
I'm more inclined to believe standards have dropped at the club so that the team as a whole feel that they're doing what's expected of them. The standards at City are clearly different. Football, despite the constant training drills and exercises, is still an instinctive sport. As an attacker are you going to be inspired to keep making runs with the lack of structure in build up and the slow, stunted play? As a midfielder are you going to be looking up to play the ball in when no runs are being made? I'm genuinely not defending Martial, but rather saying his form is a symptom of the team as a whole.
He wants ball to feet deep and is way too static. How can you play incisive balls behind the defence when no one’s making those runs? In almost every instance when the play is developing on the opposite side, Sterling would be 15 yards closer to goal than Martial is when we play.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:30 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Martial and rashford should be starting every game and have the attack built around and for them...

Simple Unitednomics

Even speaking about them leaving is a waste of breath. Not even the slightest chance Ole wants either gone imo.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:37 PM
utd99

Quote:

Even speaking about them leaving is a waste of breath. Not even the slightest chance Ole wants either gone imo.
No doubt you’re right. I’m interested to find out if Martial has it in him to learn to play a different way though, because I doubt very much Solskjaer advocates the way he plays now. I believe he’s even said as much about wanting those runs. I can’t shake this sneaking suspicion that Martial might be the type who isn’t a great listener.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
No doubt you’re right. I’m interested to find out if Martial has it in him to learn to play a different way though, because I doubt very much Solskjaer advocates the way he plays now. I believe he’s even said as much about wanting those runs. I can’t shake this sneaking suspicion that Martial might be the type who isn’t a great listener.
Tbf Martial looks like he barely knows how to speak, let alone have a chat about runs.

Just give him the ball in good areas and hope for the best.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:40 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
I don't know if you could argue we're missing lots of chances though
We certainly get them - even had a few at the start of Tuesday night's game.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:46 PM
utd99

Quote:
Tbf Martial looks like he barely knows how to speak, let alone have a chat about runs.
My fear precisely. Not exactly a great way forward.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:53 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
My fear precisely. Not exactly a great way forward.
"Big Tony don't talk to no one"

Unread 18-04-2019, 07:35 PM
AK14

Just seen his chance in the first minute again...

Unread 18-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Vedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Just seen his chance in the first minute again...

£#%&!ing toe poked it did he?

Unread 18-04-2019, 07:58 PM
Bunker Buster

38sec in, he tried a flick lob.....hit the bar.....

Very very harsh to get on him for that

Unread 18-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Sparky***

Putting aside all these silly £#%&!ing biases for the moment..

We're at a stage now where we have to be brutally honest if we want to move forward. There's either good enough, or not good enough. And i'm afraid he just isn't like most of them.

Unread 18-04-2019, 08:04 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

He's nowhere near his peak. I think that will happen in his late 20s. Problem now is the foundation around him is as good as slurry. We're counting on him too much.

I'm much more disappointed with martial tbh. At least rashford is trying.

Unread 18-04-2019, 10:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
38sec in, he tried a flick lob.....hit the bar.....

Very very harsh to get on him for that
New to the thread...
Closed Thread