Unread 18-04-2019, 12:12 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Unread 18-04-2019, 12:53 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
What evidence is this faith based on? What in his young managerial career makes you think he is the one that can get us back to the top?

Fair enough if it's just your heart speaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
We should have gone for Pochettino.
Ole has won a league title. I don't care if it was in Norway or £#%&!ing Namibia.

Winner.

Unread 18-04-2019, 12:59 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
If this is going to work then at the end of the season Ole needs to sit down with the coaching staff, Woodward and hopefully a sporting director and lay out his footballing vision / philosophy for how Utd should play from next season on

He has to be very clear about how he wants his Utd side
It can't be well lets get better quality players in and we'll see what formation or style of play will get the best out of them
He has to know his preferred formation and how he wants Utd to play with and without the ball

If it's (and I hope it is) 433 with high pressing and trying to build out from the back then we have to look at what we need to effectively play that way

We'd need a top quality attacking right back and a ball playing centre back to play alongside Lindelof
A controlling deep lying midfield player and probably another box to box creative midfield option
At least 2 high energy forwards who can and will press the opposition for 90 mins (one of them has to have his preferred position on the right of attack as frankly we haven't signed anyone who prefers playing on the right since Valencia )

We cannot have one player in the team that doesn't want the ball
Last night we had 3 players in our back 4 that are afraid of the ball and actually can't wait to get rid of it
They need to be bombed out of the club along with Rojo and Darmian as a club of Utd's stature can't have anyone who doesn't actually want the £#%&!ing football

Loads of work required and it won't happen over night or next season even but we need to start and it's starts with a clear footballing vision from the top of the club down
I agree but the only reason he needs to do this is that the club won't do it on its own.

If the club had a clear vision about the type of team it wants, that sense of identity on and off the field that influences profile of players, coaches and outlook, then so much work can be done that makes the manager less important.

If the idea is there from above, you can hire a manager safe in the knowledge that if he isn't up to the job the world doesn't come down if you make a change. Unfortunately we are so utterly clueless that we must - once again - hope that one manager can implement a vision to re-shape the whole club.

Won't hold my breath. I suspect we meet here again to have the same conversation post Ole in 12-24 months.

Unread 18-04-2019, 06:09 AM
saffers

It really is staggering.

You basically hire Mourinho in 2016, knowing exactly what you get. You back him strongly during his first summer giving him a world record signing, a player of Ibra's quality and leadership, a top young centreback like Eric Bailly. We win 3 cups his first season. 2nd season the cracks start to appear, Mou doesn't get everything he needs but he gets on with it. We end up having a solid season, fa cup finalists and 2nd place in the league only beaten by an amazing City. We seemed to end the season on a high despite losing to that penalty v Chelsea. We beat all our rivals and are confident we are competetive against big teams again.

The response last summer is what kills us. We sign Fred, Dalot and Grant. Players like Pogba and Martial kick up a fuss and the board backs the players ahead of the manager. It goes further as it seems Woodward basically decided Mou was done that summer but he didnt have the balls to sack him.

Ok, we £#%&!ed up the Mou situation and I understand why many didn't like his style even when we're winning but once you do sack Mou surely you need to take the opportunity to make a serious clean break. Get a proper structure up, build the future of the club, hire someone with a proven track record of building a footballing identity that is not afraid to impose its game on others.

Our interim manager has a great run, some of the wins quite fortunate (spurs, psg etc) and Woodward who initially said a decision would be made at the end of the season just totally caves.

Would there be the same pressure to appoint Ole now if they hadn't made the decision before easter? I doubt it. I love our legend and what he did for us on the pitch but seeing Pochettino defy the odds yet again makes me really flabbergasted that we really passed up this opportunity to build ourselves up again.

Way I see it, Ole is a panic appointment. Nobody 6 months ago would have wanted the manager of Molde and who previously failed miserably at Cardiff to be our permanent manager. He has done nothing to deserve a job of this calibre.

Now i'm seeing reports of us spending £300m+ in the summer and my head just shakes. We've learnt nothing. We've already spent £600m since Fergie retired and it has gotten us two top 4 finishes in 6 years. This is unprecedented failing at an elite club. Yet we are gonna splurge even more this summer for a coach who likely won't be there in 12 months time.

That's right, I don't have faith in OGS to bring us back to the top. I thought it was a great interim appointment and it worked to perfection. I hope there's room to say that on here and we don't get jumped on. IMO everyone on here wants us to succeed again and everyone will have some doubts about what has gone in the last 12-15 months whether you are pro mou, anti mou or whatever. I think we should have sacked him as it was untenable but the reaction post-sacking seems to show we've learnt nothing. Or rather, Woody's learnt nothing.

Unread 18-04-2019, 08:18 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Tbh im sure, (even though he's an idiot he's not that big of an idiot) Woodward would have sounded out poch. Obvs been told it's a non starter this year so gave it to ole. 2 more seasons he does Madrid or United

Unread 18-04-2019, 03:32 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Tbh im sure, (even though he's an idiot he's not that big of an idiot) Woodward would have sounded out poch. Obvs been told it's a non starter this year so gave it to ole. 2 more seasons he does Madrid or United
Nothing suggests we've even spoken to Poch or anyone else.

Even if Poch says no that doesn't mean you have to hire someone from the Norwegian league.

Unread 18-04-2019, 04:55 PM
utd99

Quote:
Nothing suggests we've even spoken to Poch or anyone else.

Even if Poch says no that doesn't mean you have to hire someone from the Norwegian league.
Or that Barcelona had to appoint someone from the youth leagues, or that we had to hire someone from Scotland. Everyone started somewhere, and to suggest anyone could have done much at Cardiff with that owner is a little disingenuous. Even Solskjaer himself acknowledges his mistake in taking the role.

Where a manager or player comes from is less important than what they are. OGS is a studious smart guy who lives and breathes the game, has had experience of what it takes to build a successful team/squad like few others in the game; learned from the best, and has had the nous to put together a promising backroom staff of young energetic forward thinking coaches alongside an old head who’s won everything at club level.

We’ve done the old, established, track record thing, why not try something different? Either way, the bloke has the job now so why not get behind him? It may turn out to be an inspired move. There is no appointment we could have made -including Poch- that would have been a sure fire thing given the state we’re in.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Zorg

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Or that Barcelona had to appoint someone from the youth leagues, or that we had to hire someone from Scotland. Everyone started somewhere, and to suggest anyone could have done much at Cardiff with that owner is a little disingenuous. Even Solskjaer himself acknowledges his mistake in taking the role.

Where a manager or player comes from is less important than what they are. OGS is a studious smart guy who lives and breathes the game, has had experience of what it takes to build a successful team/squad like few others in the game; learned from the best, and has had the nous to put together a promising backroom staff of young energetic forward thinking coaches alongside an old head who’s won everything at club level.

We’ve done the old, established, track record thing, why not try something different? Either way, the bloke has the job now so why not get behind him? It may turn out to be an inspired move. There is no appointment we could have made -including Poch- that would have been a sure fire thing given the state we’re in.
Absolutely this.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:19 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

A zillion percent this.

Unread 18-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Parlabane

So Saffers you're saying that some of Ole's wins were fortunate but last night Poch "defied the odds" you seem to overlook the fact that two VAR decisions could quite easily have gone the other way ( thank £#%&! they didn't ).
Poch has been at spurs for, is it 5 seasons now ? Plenty of time to establish a style of play, get rid of some players that don't suit and to a lessor degree, but can't be ignored get in some that do.

Ole has been in the job for 5 months and still has a lot of sub standard players that he has inherited.

I'm not saying Ole will be perfect but this idea that United just had to click their fingers and Poch would come running, build a world class team overnight, and get us challenging is ridiculous - for one Levy wouldn't allow to him to leave without a fight, we could have been dicking around all summer in negotiations and ultimately get us no where - where would that have left us for next season ?

Ole's got the job - back him to make his own signings and establish the type of football he wants if it fails it fails but it won't be for the want of trying

Unread 18-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
I don’t think it is a mistake in terms of his development. He’d have learnt a tonne of things from his time at Cardiff, far more than if he’d been successful. Fergie had his failure at st mirren, Ole had his at Cardiff. Did them both good, in hindsight.

Unread 18-04-2019, 06:57 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:

yep that's what the vast majority of United fans would say

however....if we lose our next three games what do you think the reaction will be....we won't but there is an outside chance of that happening

Unread 18-04-2019, 07:16 PM
saffers

Quote:

What makes you think i'm calling for old, established, or track record?

Bizarre to bring up Guardiola. He had Messi on a silver platter and the greatest midfield duo of the era in Xavi and Iniesta. He hasnt done anything worth a £#%&! since he had those.

Fergie won european trophies with Aberdeen. With all due respect these are not fair comparisons to Ole.

There is taking a chance and there is consigning yourself to misery. Sorry but Solskjaer has yet to show anything in his career worthy of a job like this. Nobody would have dared to say he gets it permanent in December.

We are a gonna continue to be a mess for another 2 or 3 years. This is what we've signed up for now. You would have thought with Mou gone this was the perfect opportunity.

I'm doubting this whole situation very hard. Serious doubts. Hope i'm wrong but i'm thinking we'll struggle next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlabane
So Saffers you're saying that some of Ole's wins were fortunate but last night Poch "defied the odds" you seem to overlook the fact that two VAR decisions could quite easily have gone the other way ( thank £#%&! they didn't ).
Poch has been at spurs for, is it 5 seasons now ? Plenty of time to establish a style of play, get rid of some players that don't suit and to a lessor degree, but can't be ignored get in some that do.

Ole has been in the job for 5 months and still has a lot of sub standard players that he has inherited.

I'm not saying Ole will be perfect but this idea that United just had to click their fingers and Poch would come running, build a world class team overnight, and get us challenging is ridiculous - for one Levy wouldn't allow to him to leave without a fight, we could have been dicking around all summer in negotiations and ultimately get us no where - where would that have left us for next season ?

Ole's got the job - back him to make his own signings and establish the type of football he wants if it fails it fails but it won't be for the want of trying
Look at the money spent by Pochettino in the last 5 seasons you mention. Spurs have no right to be where they are. They'll likely make a european cup final where theyll face Liverpool or Barca, they'll fancy they can take anyone on.

Unread 18-04-2019, 07:22 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
yep that's what the vast majority of United fans would say

however....if we lose our next three games what do you think the reaction will be....we won't but there is an outside chance of that happening
Even then, I think most will still be willing to give him a chance.

A bad end to this season would make the start of the next one pretty £#%&!ing vital, though

Unread 18-04-2019, 07:25 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Even then, I think most will still be willing to give him a chance.

A bad end to this season would make the start of the next one pretty £#%&!ing vital, though
No one is seriously saying sack him are they?

I'm just questioning whether the right choice has been made.

When will Woodward face consequences? How was he allowed to be the leader on this after he sacked Mou? 5 managerial appointments, £800m spent since 2013. Will break the billion mark by kick off next season. For what? Two top 4 finishes in that period? Embarrassing.

Unread 18-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Sandman

Anything that happened since Ole took the job was a bonus for the utter shambles we'd found ourselves in under Mourinho. Even if we lose our last games of the season, we'll still be in better shape than when that £#%&!wit was stinking the place out.

We know Ole wants to play football the right way, if he hasn't made that happen by the end of next season, and if we aren't starting to challenge again, that's when we can start to pass judgement on his capabilities as United manager, and whether we're heading in the right direction.

Unread 18-04-2019, 07:33 PM
AK14

Quote:
No one is seriously saying sack him are they?

I'm just questioning whether the right choice has been made.

When will Woodward face consequences? How was he allowed to be the leader on this after he sacked Mou? 5 managerial appointments, £800m spent since 2013. Will break the billion mark by kick off next season. For what? Two top 4 finishes in that period? Embarrassing.
Urgh it’s even worse how he’s got away with such poor mismanagement of the club when you spell it out

We’re an absolute state at the moment.

I have no faith that’ll he’ll get it right in the summer and fully support Ole either.

Unread 18-04-2019, 07:35 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Urgh it’s even worse how he’s got away with such poor mismanagement of the club when you spell it out

We’re an absolute state at the moment.

I have no faith that’ll he’ll get it right in the summer and fully support Ole either.
Killed Moyes, killed LvG and killed Mou.

That's why I didn't celebrate his appointment even though I was proud of what he had achieved. It's massive on so many levels.

But i'd be so more confident if we had the right structure around him.

Fully expect lots of arsing around, missing out on Ole's targets, panic buying one or two big names. Still looking for players with a week of the window left.

He's an incompetent piece of shit yet somehow has the highest salary of any chief executive in the premier league.

Unread 18-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Clownbones

Unhappy

Quote:
Killed Moyes, killed LvG and killed Mou.

That's why I didn't celebrate his appointment even though I was proud of what he had achieved. It's massive on so many levels.

But i'd be so more confident if we had the right structure around him.

Fully expect lots of arsing around, missing out on Ole's targets, panic buying one or two big names. Still looking for players with a week of the window left.

He's an incompetent piece of shit yet somehow has the highest salary of any chief executive in the premier league.
I very sadly agree.
Closed Thread