United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Darth Vidic

Thumbs up Serie A 94/95 - Juventus

Football Italia

Classic game, Lippi & his cigar, Del Piero the wonderkid

Title showdown with Parma. Baggio's back, how £#%&!ing brilliant would it have been to have had him at OT?

Juve season highlights, after the Baggio header against Milan, anyone remember (think it was) Alberti complaining that he'd shouted ''leave it'' when the cross was coming in? Ravenelli's goal from Roma's throw in (02:31)

Whats the first song called by the way?

Unread 10-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Zorg

That volley from Del Piero, if I'd been a Juve fan I'd have probably actually £#%&!d on the terrace. Wonderful goal, last minute winner against hated opposition.

I think the music was just specially written theme music by Channel 4?

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:04 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
That volley from Del Piero, if I'd been a Juve fan I'd have probably actually £#%&!d on the terrace. Wonderful goal, last minute winner against hated opposition.

I think the music was just specially written theme music by Channel 4?
I just used vixy.net to download the theme and set it as my ringtone

I'm certain I saw that Juve game live (comeback against Fiorentina) on Channel 4. From the mid 90's up to his major injury (1999?), Del Piero was £#%&!ing magic and one of the most lethal players on the planet. Used to watch Juve just for him. Legend

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:31 PM
S/Side.Red

Just how good was Italian football back then! Even looking through those brief videos there's so many great names.

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:35 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Just how good was Italian football back then! Even looking through those brief videos there's so many great names.
That Juve side was £#%&!ing sick! Ravanelli, Baggio, Del Piero, Vialli, Ferrara, Jugović, Pessotto...great team. They then went and added Zidane and Davids after winning the European Cup in 1996

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I just used vixy.net to download the theme and set it as my ringtone

I'm certain I saw that Juve game live (comeback against Fiorentina) on Channel 4. From the mid 90's up to his major injury (1999?), Del Piero was £#%&!ing magic and one of the most lethal players on the planet. Used to watch Juve just for him. Legend
Just done the same for my ringtone

Yes I remember watching that. Also remember watching Weah's wonder goal at the San Siro live.

'Weah.....Weah.....and still George Weah!'

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHBQojoCBNE

Whats the first song called by the way?
Isn't it 'layla' by eric clapton?

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
That Juve side was £#%&!ing sick! Ravanelli, Baggio, Del Piero, Vialli, Ferrara, Jugović, Pessotto...great team. They then went and added Zidane and Davids after winning the European Cup in 1996
funny how we always managed to draw these teams in the CL at their peak eh? Real madrid in 2003, Juve in 1996, barca in 1994, porto in 04.

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Just done the same for my ringtone

Quote:
Yes I remember watching that. Also remember watching Weah's wonder goal at the San Siro live.

'Weah.....Weah.....and still George Weah!'
Saw that too, great goal - although he did loose the ball on the half way line! My Old Man is a huge fan of Italian Football, almost always used to watch the live Sunday game with him as a lad. Great times

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Serenity Now

There was a great feature in the Football Italia magazine about Serie A during this period, in their 150th issue. Check it out.

Still not as good as Serie A in the 80s, mind

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:54 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
funny how we always managed to draw these teams in the CL at their peak eh? Real madrid in 2003, Juve in 1996, barca in 1994, porto in 04.
Wouldn't have it any other way. Those games with Juventus from the 97-99 period are amongst my most treasured United memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
There was a great feature in the Football Italia magazine about Serie A during this period, in their 150th issue. Check it out.

Still not as good as Serie A in the 80s, mind
Channel 4 > Early Sky/Eurosport. Besides, you think everything from the 80's is better

Cheers for the link btw

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Part 36 Offer

I could literally watch Del Piero all day, pure magic.

Unread 10-09-2008, 11:00 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Savicevic, Weah, Desailly, Albertini, Donadoni, Baresi, Maldini etc over at Milan during the same period. Fiorentina with Batigol and Rui Costa; Roma with Abel Balbo and Aldair; Gazza at Lazio; Parma with Zola, Asprilla and Couto; Inter with their annual revolution. There was so much quality throughout the league. I was just a kid watching it all but I was glued to the box every Sunday afternoon.

Unread 10-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Sparky***

one of my most hilarious memories from serie a was when paul ince was sent off even though he was about 4 foot away from the player who dived.

can't remember who it was but they were in the penalty area, ince was just standing there and all of a sudden the other bloke just clutched his face and fell over.

Unread 10-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Serenity Now

Incidentally, La Gazzetta ran a great DVD series featuring highlights from every Serie A season from 1978-79 to 2007-2008. It's called Campionato io ti amo. Have a look at their website if you're interested. For me, it's fantastic.

Obviously if you're nerdy like me you can purchase the whole set, but you should also be able to find it available for download.

Unread 10-09-2008, 11:21 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Savicevic, Weah, Desailly, Albertini, Donadoni, Baresi, Maldini etc over at Milan during the same period. Fiorentina with Batigol and Rui Costa; Roma with Abel Balbo and Aldair; Gazza at Lazio; Parma with Zola, Asprilla and Couto; Inter with their annual revolution. There was so much quality throughout the league. I was just a kid watching it all but I was glued to the box every Sunday afternoon.
Some great names in that list. I was a huge fan of Savicevic, magic player.

Some of the stunts James Richardson & Gazza used to pull were funny as £#%&! too! Gazzeta made great Saturday morning viewing

Unread 10-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
I could literally watch Del Piero all day, pure magic.
It's easy to forget just how good Del Piero was before his injury. Even in those great Juve sides, packed with fantastic players, he still stood out a mile. And you can see just how vital he was to them when you look at how Juve pretty much immediately fell apart in 98/99, when he missed almost the entire season. Phenomenal player.

Unread 10-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
one of my most hilarious memories from serie a was when paul ince was sent off even though he was about 4 foot away from the player who dived.

can't remember who it was but they were in the penalty area, ince was just standing there and all of a sudden the other bloke just clutched his face and fell over.
I remember that, brilliant

Channel Four really did it all superbly didn't they. An intelligent football programme with intelligent presenters who knew the Italian game and had interesting things to say. Gazzetta was superb too, James Richardson asking interesting questions of players.

Compare and contrast with the shite on BBC/ITV - they never question anything as if they're shit scared of upsetting people.

'The Germans will be well-organised Gary' - cliche-ridden, unimaginative %@#$&!s.

Unread 10-09-2008, 11:27 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I remember that, brilliant

Channel Four really did it all superbly didn't they. An intelligent football programme with intelligent presenters who knew the Italian game and had interesting things to say. Gazzetta was superb too, James Richardson asking interesting questions of players.

Compare and contrast with the shite on BBC/ITV - they never question anything as if they're shit scared of upsetting people.

'The Germans will be well-organised Gary' - cliche-ridden, unimaginative %@#$&!s.
Compare it to Sky's coverage of La Liga

Unread 10-09-2008, 11:34 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Compare it to Sky's coverage of La Liga
It's getting worse by the season, isn't it?
Closed Thread