United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic

Unread 08-10-2019, 03:52 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
get it done or he will piss all over your home
No he won't.... well he might, but it's nowt to do with neutering, as Duane says it's all to do with training

Unread 08-10-2019, 04:01 PM
DuanePipe

Medical note. Removal of testes does not prevent the dog being able to urinate.

Quote:
further investigation using 683 male and female Rottweilers spayed or neutered before one year of age, both sexes were found to be significantly more likely to develop bone cancer than intact dogs with early sterilisation bestowing a staggering 25% likelihood of bone cancer in the early neutered dogs.

In a study of 759 intact and neutered golden retrievers Torres de la Riva et al. (2013) found significant issues associated in neutered dogs. Almost 10 percent of early-neutered males were diagnosed with lymphosarcoma, 3 times more than intact males.
The benefits of neutering an older male or female dog are pretty well known. In the case of dogs, when they're older they don't need the testosterone so much and in fact producing it can accelerate other illnesses.

But for younger dogs, they do actually need testosterone.

My personal view, I have absolutely no qualms with neutering a dog once they're a full grown adult. So in the case of males that's around 2 and 1/2, females, 19 months onwards.

But the evidence I've seen on neutering before maturity, it doesn't seem like a longterm benefit for the dog and it rarely fixes any issues related to behaviour.

My dog who we're considering getting done is 6/7. He becomes a raging pillock any time there's a female in heat within a mile. Neutering would stop this. My other dog is an a-sexual deviant with nothing more than a shoe fetish. We can cope with that.

Unread 08-10-2019, 04:04 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe View Post
Medical note. Removal of testes does not prevent the dog being able to urinate.

The benefits of neutering an older male or female dog are pretty well known. In the case of dogs, when they're older they don't need the testosterone so much and in fact producing it can accelerate other illnesses.

But for younger dogs, they do actually need testosterone.

My personal view, I have absolutely no qualms with neutering a dog once they're a full grown adult. So in the case of males that's around 2 and 1/2, females, 19 months onwards.

But the evidence I've seen on neutering before maturity, it doesn't seem like a longterm benefit for the dog and it rarely fixes any issues related to behaviour.

My dog who we're considering getting done is 6/7. He becomes a raging pillock any time there's a female in heat within a mile. Neutering would stop this. My other dog is an a-sexual deviant with nothing more than a shoe fetish. We can cope with that.
very interesting. v v interesting.

poor old Beppe

Unread 08-10-2019, 04:54 PM
ScarFace

Ok will look into it more ( basically hassle patty b )

He is only 10 weeks. so soonest chop em is 4months away.

i just need him to stop the biting of my virginal skin.

Unread 08-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Drexl

Unread 08-10-2019, 05:48 PM
d_knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexl View Post
teddy!
What has scar done to you?!?

Unread 08-10-2019, 08:52 PM
naes_sean

Dogs

Unread 10-10-2019, 03:31 AM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
So much for no one will see it

Unread 10-10-2019, 02:00 PM
ScarFace

The outside pen training is going ok. Put him in there and trying to get him used to just thinking thats his toilet. Once he goes or i've waited 5 mins i then take him out n let him have a run around the garden.

Still biting me but i am trying the yelping back tactic but really loud to shock him.

Bit my lip before and i yelped loud ( genuine ) and smacked his paw...
He looked at me and basically said "Didn't even hurt"....and bit me again n started barking. Fighting back just makes him kick off more.

Gunna need a new harness soon for when he goes out. A light weight strappy one, as his current one he acts like it weighs a ton & looks like a bomb disposal dog.

Unread 10-10-2019, 02:13 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace View Post
looks like a bomb disposal dog.