United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Spiffy

Default Fergie want Giggs knighted

He deserves it and will probably get one when he retires. No doubt there'll be a campaign to get Stevie G one for not winning the league.

Quote:
ALEX FERGUSON says it is time Ryan Giggs was knighted.
Giggs, 35, continued his remarkable career with the winning goal against West Ham on Sunday to put Manchester United back on top of the table.

And his manager believes the club’s most decorated player should receive an invite to Buckingham Palace to get his OBE upgraded.

Sir Alex, who was knighted in 1999, said: “When you consider how the English rugby team, when they won three or four matches to win the World Cup, were given knighthoods and MBEs, Giggs has performed like a star for 20 years.

“He’s won 10 league medals — I hope it’s 11 this year — and two European Cups and what has he got, an MBE? It doesn’t seem right. Longevity must surely surpass short-term success.”

Giggs was actually honoured with an OBE. And he is also United’s record appearance holder, surpassing Sir Bobby Charlton at the end of last season.

Sunday was his 786th game for the club — and his 147th goal.

He shows no signs of letting up, either, after being converted from a winger to a central midfielder to lengthen his career.

Giggs has already been given a contract for next season, along with 34-year-old Paul Scholes who delivered the superb pass for his goal at Upton Park.

The Welshman admitted: “When you are younger you think this career is going to last for ever and things can pass you by.

“Now I know the end is going to be sooner rather than later, so I am taking everything in and making sure I enjoy it.

“Some people said last season that the Champions League final would be the perfect way to end.

“But I didn’t see it that way. I want to play on as long as I can.
I don't know what the anti-royalists will make of Fergie's request.

Unread 10-02-2009, 03:11 AM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
He deserves it and will probably get one when he retires. No doubt there'll be a campaign to get Stevie G one for not winning the league.

i agree ...arise Sir Ryan of Worsley

Unread 10-02-2009, 03:13 AM
f.l.a.t.s

Quote:

This will send the scousers conspiracy theories into over drive.

It will be debated in the house of commons and on national tv.

I like it can we vote on it?.

It would see rafa off.

Unread 10-02-2009, 03:18 AM
Crumps

Think it's an outdated concept tbh but it does sound rather grand.

When you look at the rowers and shit like that Giggsy should definitely be a candidate for the accolade. I suspect one of his ex team mates will be the first of our lot from the 90's to get a knighthood as he openly courts the publicity and everything that goes with it to the extent where you could argue the very profession that made him what he is took a back seat for quite a while.

Roy Keane is a @#%&! too btw.

How £#%&!ing cool would it be if he got it before he retired and he had Sir Ryan on the back of his shirt.

Unread 10-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Think it's an outdated concept tbh but it does sound rather grand.

When you look at the rowers and shit like that Giggsy should definitely be a candidate for the accolade. I suspect one of his ex team mates will be the first of our lot from the 90's to get a knighthood as he openly courts the publicity and everything that goes with it to the extent where you could argue the very profession that made him what he is took a back seat for quite a while.

Roy Keane is a @#%&! too btw.

How £#%&!ing cool would it be if he got it before he retired and he had Sir Ryan on the back of his shirt.
That'd be mint but I reckon he'd insist on Giggs still. He would be entitled to Sir Ryan though and it'd be a nice touch if the club said nowt and just put it on his shirt before his first game back.

Beckham would insist on Sir David, think of his profile in the States.

Unread 10-02-2009, 06:08 AM
borsuk

i don't think he deserves a knighthood. they should be reserved for those who really do something to admire, like giving political parties shitloads of cash, for example.

Unread 10-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i don't think he deserves a knighthood. they should be reserved for those who really do something to admire, like giving political parties shitloads of cash, for example.
Couldn't agree more. Seriously though there are those who would argue kicking a football around at any level doesn't deserve a knighthood. Save them for people who make a difference to people's lives who are suffering eg carers, charity workers etc. But as long as cricketers, rugby players, sailors and rowers are getting them, I think Giggs deserves one too.

Unread 10-02-2009, 06:22 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Seriously though there are those who would argue kicking a football around at any level doesn't deserve a knighthood. Save them for people who make a difference to people's lives who are suffering eg carers, charity workers etc. But as long as cricketers, rugby players, sailors and rowers are getting them, I think Giggs deserves one too.
i think you can find inspiring examples in any walk of life. giggs has been/is an inspiration to a generation and just think how unique he is: i can't think of another footballer who plays for united (the most hated club in britain) who is so universally admired. it doesn't matter who you talk to, dippers, berties, whoever, nobody has a bad word to say about giggs.

though i'd sooner see unsung heroes rewarded - lower-league stalwarts, people who devote their life to the sport without hitting the heights but do it the way it should be done.

Unread 10-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i think you can find inspiring examples in any walk of life. giggs has been/is an inspiration to a generation and just think how unique he is: i can't think of another footballer who plays for united (the most hated club in britain) who is so universally admired. it doesn't matter who you talk to, dippers, berties, whoever, nobody has a bad word to say about giggs.

though i'd sooner see unsung heroes rewarded - lower-league stalwarts, people who devote their life to the sport without hitting the heights but do it the way it should be done.
Don't go saying that, there's a scouser they always quote in these arguments who has won all 4 leagues (can't remember his name). 10/11 Premiership titles is harder to win then the old 4th Division but I get your point.

Unread 10-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Whip Hubley

who gives a £#%&! about a knighthood. i doubt giggsy does.

10 league titles, 2 european cups, god knows how many FA cups, countless other assorted awards...

i wouldn't give a shit about what some nazi muffin in her palace thought. adored by the fans not just of united but many outside of the club.

absolute legend.

if he gets offered it he should turn it down

Unread 10-02-2009, 08:55 AM
magic_cantona

So next time Rio's doing his tv show, he'll have to say:

"You've been Merked, Sir!"

It'd be worth it just to see that.

Unread 10-02-2009, 10:14 AM
red red robbo

I think the only reason Giggsy might miss out on a knighthood is because all his success has been at club level. The sportsmen who get such honours tend to have had success representing their country.

Would love it if he got one whilst still playing. Sir Giggs on the back would look mint.

Imagine if he gets booked "That's Sir Giggs Mr Dowd"

Unread 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
Swinton.

Unread 10-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Pontypridd

Unread 10-02-2009, 10:53 AM
redwhiteandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter
Swinton.
Salford.

On another note, there has been a motion put before the council that he be given the freedom of Salford. The conservatives, lead by Karen Garido from Worsley, have opposed it.

Unread 10-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblack
Salford.

On another note, there has been a motion put before the council that he be given the freedom of Salford. The conservatives, lead by Karen Garido from Worsley, have opposed it.
Does he get to drive his sheep over Kersal Bridge?

Unread 10-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Glitter

Quote:
Salford.
Swinton, Salford!

Quote:
Is that that bitch who lives down on Worsley Green who opposes everything?

Unread 10-02-2009, 11:00 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter
Swinton.
shithole

Unread 10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Well, it is a bit embarrasing the "British Empire" bit, being that it refers to a rock in the atlantic covered in Penguins and a rock in the Med covered in baboons. That aside, not much.

Unread 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Didn't they give the #@&%! who invented the Dyson an OBE or MBE or something? What the £#%&!.
Closed Thread