United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 10-03-2024, 12:43 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
More clean sheets than Allison= disgrace.
Glad you’ve finally come round to clean sheets being an important part of a goalkeepers role

Unread 10-03-2024, 12:51 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
Glad you’ve finally come round to clean sheets being an important part of a goalkeepers role
Matters when he's faced the most shots though ...

Unread 10-03-2024, 01:10 PM
Offerington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
More clean sheets than Allison= disgrace.

Unread 10-03-2024, 01:52 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offerington View Post

His league form has been good...

Unread 10-03-2024, 01:59 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

He’s definitely improved massively. Like Bunks said apart from first game or two his league form been good.

Tbf to the Scouse he’s played less games so his clean sheets is more per games played.

Unread 10-03-2024, 09:59 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
Obviously would like to whack him round the head with a frying pan but fair play, he made some top saves today.
And tbf to him he's starting to do that on a more regular basis now & we casn only hope that can keep this new=found good foarm-up for the rest of his United career

Unread 18-03-2024, 08:37 AM
magic_cantona

Let's be honest, he's been brilliant these past few games and is clearly not the joke he's been made out to be. Made some great saves yesterday and his coming for crosses and distribution have been much, much better.

No need to get rid. Not a priority.

Unread 18-03-2024, 10:30 AM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

he's looked so much better the last few games.

Unread 18-03-2024, 10:40 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona View Post
Let's be honest, he's been brilliant these past few games and is clearly not the joke he's been made out to be. Made some great saves yesterday and his coming for crosses and distribution have been much, much better.

No need to get rid. Not a priority.
He’s not been brilliant. He looks a lot more comfortable and confident, to the point where he looks competent. Because he didn’t before.

He’s still beaten far too easily for my liking. He could have kept Macallister’s goal out and the save into Salah’s path could have been pushed wider

Better and he deserves more time, but the jury still very much out

A much bigger problem is how many shots the poor guy is facing each game.

Unread 18-03-2024, 11:01 AM
Ethers

Hate to be negative at a time like this, but I just don’t think he’s very good. He’s been solid recently, no argument there. But he hasn’t got anything special about him, I can’t remember many if any saves he’s made where you’ve thought “he had no right to get to that”. Even in good form, you’re left looking at some of the goals we’ve conceded and thinking he could have done better. They’re not mistakes as such, but you’d expect a truly world class keeper to have stopped at least a couple of them.

He’s just not good enough to get us back to being the best imo.

Unread 18-03-2024, 11:07 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers View Post
Hate to be negative at a time like this, but I just don’t think he’s very good. He’s been solid recently, no argument there. But he hasn’t got anything special about him, I can’t remember many if any saves he’s made where you’ve thought “he had no right to get to that”. Even in good form, you’re left looking at some of the goals we’ve conceded and thinking he could have done better. They’re not mistakes as such, but you’d expect a truly world class keeper to have stopped at least a couple of them.

He’s just not good enough to get us back to being the best imo.
Yep. That’s sort of my point in the post above. I worry that he doesn’t do the basics well enough. He’s better than he was and seems to have settled his nerves (completely understandable moving into one of the toughest positions in the world) to the point where errors are far less. He seems more confident. He commands his box quite well and is happy to receive the ball. That’s a big plus. The concern is how easily he’s beaten. His kicking isn’t as good as I thought it would be either. I was expecting him to be spraying balls around more regularly

Still big question marks, but credit to him for improving and settling down. I just don’t trust him one iota

Unread 18-03-2024, 11:08 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
he's looked so much better the last few games.
The one we lost 3-1 or last night when we let three in? he’s absolutely shit, even last night he made two or three saves that he parried back in to dangerous areas I’ve never seen a professional keeper do that so much. And as for the amazing distribution we apparently him for he’s pretty shit at that too, he must have kicked it to no one or out of play about five time yesterdays.

If Ineos gave anything about them helll be among the first to be improved on if we want to stand a chance of getting back to where we need to be.

Unread 18-03-2024, 11:15 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
The one we lost 3-1 or last night when we let three in? he’s absolutely shit, even last night he made two or three saves that he parried back in to dangerous areas I’ve never seen a professional keeper do that so much. And as for the amazing distribution we apparently him for he’s pretty shit at that too, he must have kicked it to no one or out of play about five time yesterdays.

If Ineos gave anything about them helll be among the first to be improved on if we want to stand a chance of getting back to where we need to be.

I said he'd been better. I didn't say he was the second coming of Lev Yashin.

Unread 18-03-2024, 11:17 AM
jem

bit harsh to criticise him based on the last few games.

our passing around the back is still shite and puts us under pressure... and he's part of that. but his shot stopping has been fine. liverpool got very lucky with a couple of deflections and rashford watching a player run past him, despite only being a yard away.

Unread 18-03-2024, 11:20 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger View Post
He’s not been brilliant. He looks a lot more comfortable and confident, to the point where he looks competent. Because he didn’t before.

He’s still beaten far too easily for my liking. He could have kept Macallister’s goal out and the save into Salah’s path could have been pushed wider

Better and he deserves more time, but the jury still very much out

A much bigger problem is how many shots the poor guy is facing each game.
He was set for Mac Allisters goal, then it took a terrible deflection. Not sure it was any kind of straight forward save.

He's been a lot better, nqat. Just hope it's a steady, ongoing improvement.

Unread 18-03-2024, 11:30 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona View Post
He was set for Mac Allisters goal, then it took a terrible deflection. Not sure it was any kind of straight forward save.

He's been a lot better, nqat. Just hope it's a steady, ongoing improvement.
Macalister one was what Ether’s described: not that he should save it and it wouldn’t really go down as an error, but one I’d hope that top keeper we’d signed would save. He’s had a few like that too.

There’s still enough leeway to stick with him though. Everyone should get a year. Especially coming into this shit show and one of the hardest and most scrutinised positions in the world. Improvement will do for now. Weeks ago, he needed taking out the of team. Not now.

Unread 18-03-2024, 01:41 PM
History

His best attribute is actually his ability to come and collect crosses. Very good at putting out potential fires.

Everything else is at best average.

Unread 18-03-2024, 01:48 PM
est.1878

wonder why weve never got an elite keeper from all these years of academy teams.

henderson and heaton closest?

does bosnich count

odd given how many outfield players have come trhough..

Unread 18-03-2024, 01:53 PM
Hyman_Roth

He’s been better nqat and his distribution is improved and better than Dave’s ever was. But for me he simply isn’t a material upgrade on Dave and in terms of actual saves, possibly quite a bit worse.

Still can’t get my head around that we prioritised our limited expenditure on this guy ahead of other glaring weaknesses in the squad.

Saying all that, he’s growing on me quite a bit.

Unread 18-03-2024, 01:53 PM
AK14

Pretty close to scoring one of the best (worst?) OG’s in history when he made a (good) save at the near post and the ball spun up and hit his other arm and went just wide

He doesn’t look great at times but his commands his box really well and is very confident with the ball at his feet. He’s got a great attitude too.