Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
£#%&!er's bought Lukaku twice tbf
Once pal.

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:20 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It's implicit isn't it? Surely you don't have to identify Samuel Eto'o as a potential top attacking signing ffs, or even Milito who'd just had the season of his life in Spain, or even Drogba, who as mentioned had everyone in Europe after him.

The idea of identifying talent is spotting someone off the radar or up and coming.

If I took over a club and decided we needed Messi and Ronaldo I'd hardly be identifying attacking talent would I ffs

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:22 PM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Once pal.
Still once too many

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:23 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Coracao

Quote:
We bought van Persie to win us the league Ferguson never identified him as an attacking talent though.
It is a mind numbingly stupid argument

Almost a good job that Mourinho's job is to manage the side and identify it's weaknesses and what is needed to remedy it, rather than him being paid to scout the backwaters of Europe for any teenagers that every big club isn't already aware of.

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:26 PM
believe

Quote:
Is the the new :youare: smilie?

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:29 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
It is a mind numbingly stupid argument

Almost a good job that Mourinho's job is to manage the side and identify it's weaknesses and what is needed to remedy it, rather than him being paid to scout the backwaters of Europe for any teenagers that every big club isn't already aware of.
It takes no ability or shrewdness to decide to sign Samuel Eto'o at 29 years old, does it?

Just as he'd rather £#%&! any player under the age of 25 off and replace them with a ready made 28-29 year that he knows will produce because they've been doing it for several years for other clubs. There's nothing special about doing that, any £#%&!er with an unlimited budget could do it.

Quote:
Is the the new :youare: smilie?

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:35 PM
believe

Quote:
It takes no ability or shrewdness to decide to sign Samuel Eto'o at 29 years old, does it?

Just as he'd rather £#%&! any player under the age of 25 off and replace them with a ready made 28-29 year that he knows will produce because they've been doing it for several years for other clubs. There's nothing special about doing that, any £#%&!er with an unlimited budget could do it.

Was signing van Persie shrewd business of not?

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
It's implicit isn't it? Surely you don't have to identify Samuel Eto'o as a potential top attacking signing ffs, or even Milito who'd just had the season of his life in Spain, or even Drogba, who as mentioned had everyone in Europe after him.

The idea of identifying talent is spotting someone off the radar or up and coming.

If I took over a club and decided we needed Messi and Ronaldo I'd hardly be identifying attacking talent would I ffs
Like Lindelof and Bailly?

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Like Lindelof and Bailly?
Think I said he was good at doing it with defensive players, not so much with attacking players tbf..

Although, Lindelof...

Quote:
Was signing van Persie shrewd business of not?
Worked out for 6 months. But again, he was the PL top scorer the previous season and one of the top strikers in the World. Hardly thinking outside the box. Difficult to criticise Fergie though, he deffo didn't struggle with identifying attacking talent..

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Although, Lindelof...
23, first season in England at it's biggest club.

If he was on about swapping him for Perisic you'd be fuming.

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:41 PM
AK14

Didn’t mourinho actually sign Salah from Basel?

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Well, er, yes. I'd say that's exactly what it is - is that not part of the managers job, to identify players to make the team stronger as per caracaoers point? If that's not classed as part of a managers 'ability', then what is? Plenty of great strikers in prime age have been bought who didn't do as well as expected. Torres at Chelsea as one of a million examples.

Really not sure trying to belittle Mourinho's achievements with his treble winning side is the best stance to take tbh.

What an odd conversation this has turned in to.

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
23, first season in England at it's biggest club.

If he was on about swapping him for Perisic you'd be fuming.
I'm still hopeful tbf, just looks a bit weak. First season though as you say..

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:43 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Yeah. Look up the thread from when Chelsea signed him. I did. Some pearlers in there

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:44 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Didn’t identify him though. Just said “there’s a footballer who scores goals we should buy him” pretty obvious if you ask me.

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:47 PM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Didn’t identify him though. Just said “there’s a footballer who scores goals we should buy him” pretty obvious if you ask me.
We've established that he gets kudos when he gets it right. When he gets it wrong it wasn't his responsibility to scout players and someone else is to blame.

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

compelling debate

AK in the blue. barely hanging in there.

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:50 PM
Coracao

Quote:
It takes ability to spot weaknesses in your side, and ruthlessly address them with the correct players.

It takes ability / balls to change the position of the above player, moving him to a position which is far from his favourite, and have that player still run through walls for you. One could say, he identified that Eto'o would be ideal for the role that he had in mind, despite Eto'o not playing that role at his former team.

Quote:

Thus far, something does not add up with this proposed transfer strategy, as we have had more first team players coming in under 25 than we have had of the 28-29 age bracket.

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:51 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Well, er, yes. I'd say that's exactly what it is - is that not part of the managers job, to identify players to make the team stronger as per caracaoers point? If that's not classed as part of a managers 'ability', then what is? Plenty of great strikers in prime age have been bought who didn't do as well as expected. Torres at Chelsea as one of a million examples.

Really not sure trying to belittle Mourinho's achievements with his treble winning side is the best stance to take tbh.

What an odd conversation this has turned in to.
It’s more mental the more I think about it

Cantona
Rooney
Van nistlerrooy
Yorke

“I’d like to buy these players”
“But they’re all really good players who have proved themselves to be good players, have you got no imagination to go and find players who aren’t that good who you can make better???”
Closed Thread