United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-06-2023, 04:59 PM
dunk

Hang on, they can’t just sell him he has to agree to the move.

If he’s going to Madrid for free next summer, as would seem obvious to everyone since as far back as the day he signed the deal, he’ll just tell anyone PSG agree a fee with to get £#%&!ed, surely?

Unread 13-06-2023, 05:44 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Hang on, they can’t just sell him he has to agree to the move.

If he’s going to Madrid for free next summer, as would seem obvious to everyone since as far back as the day he signed the deal, he’ll just tell anyone PSG agree a fee with to get £#%&!ed, surely?
Depends how much he gets offered per week i imagine...

Unread 13-06-2023, 06:19 PM
Ethers

He’s the only player that could potentially make me feel a bit Qatari tbh.

Unread 13-06-2023, 07:42 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

Unread 13-06-2023, 07:44 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
“People close to the President .. “
Got some magic beans to sell the 15k ppl who interacted w/ that post

Unread 13-06-2023, 10:36 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
It would'nt surprise me one bit if he is hoping that United get taken -over by Quatar & put a bid-in for him,as Old Trafford would be his perfect stage, just like it was for, Eric Cantona & Cristiano Ronaldo

Unread 14-06-2023, 02:43 AM
westcoastvan

I think Mbappe coming to Manchester United is a stretch too far...even if Qatar buys the club.

Neymar is probably very likely, but Mbappe....his dream is the sunshine of Madrid.

Unread 14-06-2023, 10:47 AM
shenwen

Not this time around but how far are we from Mbappe or similar going to Saudi? The salaries on offer make me wonder if this will be a reality soon as the Saudis try and build the game over there, no doubt leading to a global super league

T

Unread 14-06-2023, 10:52 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Not this time around but how far are we from Mbappe or similar going to Saudi? The salaries on offer make me wonder if this will be a reality soon as the Saudis try and build the game over there, no doubt leading to a global super league

T
Didn’t China try that already?

Unread 14-06-2023, 11:12 AM
Baron

Quote:

T
Nowhere near.

It'll never happen. It's a retirement home for a last pay day & nothing more. Never, ever will be.

Unread 14-06-2023, 11:16 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Nowhere near.

It'll never happen. It's a retirement home for a last pay day & nothing more. Never, ever will be.
Ey up, Rory McIlroys logged on.

Unread 14-06-2023, 11:31 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Unread 14-06-2023, 11:37 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:

T
"Building the game over there" in the same way the US were in the 70s/80s when Pele & Beckenbauer went over, or China more recently with Tevez, Oscar etc ..

Lumbering a bunch of faded-superstars at the very tail end of their career (many of whom are Muslim .. see Benzema + Kante) onto enormous short term contracts isn't building the game. It is a novelty spectacle. Its happened numerous times in numerous locations over decades.

Unread 14-06-2023, 12:03 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

It'll be what the market decides. Like China, first a retirement home, then players with still something to offer. Admittedly China picked up but that was because it was never sustainable.

If FIFA launch an annual global champions league equivalent, there's not many players who will give up on 150m a year salaries.

As above, money goes a long way. Especially in the pockets of UEFA and FIFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
"Building the game over there" in the same way the US were in the 70s/80s when Pele & Beckenbauer went over, or China more recently with Tevez, Oscar etc ..

Lumbering a bunch of faded-superstars at the very tail end of their career (many of whom are Muslim .. see Benzema + Kante) onto enormous short term contracts isn't building the game. It is a novelty spectacle. Its happened numerous times in numerous locations over decades.
See above. Nothing like how the US or China were doing it. China was never sustainable and was never state backed. In fact, the state brought it down.

And it's not happened numerous times. Not on the scale that this already is, never mind what it could be. In a decade when United draw Al Whatever in the group stages of the Work Super League, we'll see what a novelty it was.

Money goes a long way, as we may soon be finding out with our new owners.

Unread 14-06-2023, 12:25 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
See above. Nothing like how the US or China were doing it. China was never sustainable and was never state backed. In fact, the state brought it down.

And it's not happened numerous times. Not on the scale that this already is, never mind what it could be. In a decade when United draw Al Whatever in the group stages of the Work Super League, we'll see what a novelty it was.

Money goes a long way, as we may soon be finding out with our new owners.
"Saudi Arabia bringing in 37 year old Cristiano Ronaldo, 35 year old Benzema and 32 year old Kante is nothing like that time the US brought in 37 year old Franz Beckenbauer, 35 year old Pele and 32 year old Cruyff." And yes, those ages are correct literally to a tee. Or nothing like that time Tevez was paid £650k a week to play in China age 33. Or Oscar & Hulk being paid in excess of £400k to play in China. And so on, and so on ..

Why must people insist on continuing to dig themselves into a hole when they are speaking demonstrable, factual gibberish?

You came out with some wish-washy speculative point "How far are we from Mbappe or similar going to Saudi?", when there is literally not one single reference point of a top player in their prime years or even approaching prime years going there. Not. One. You're talking of a literal fantasy land that has zero grounding in the real world.

Meanwhile, there are numerous (yes .. numerous .. as in multiple) factual examples of other wealthy figures in other wealthy nations at different points in history similarly having undergone this type of project. Never progressed into prime-career elite players going there either, although ironically given your statement China actually came closest (and far closer than the Middle East nations have).

To answer your fantastical question: "how far are we from Mbappe or similar going to Saudi?". If you mean in their prime years, then it never has happened, never will.

Hope that helps you.

Unread 14-06-2023, 12:39 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
"Saudi Arabia bringing in 37 year old Cristiano Ronaldo, 35 year old Benzema and 32 year old Kante is nothing like that time the US brought in 37 year old Franz Beckenbauer, 35 year old Pele and 32 year old Cruyff." And yes, those ages are correct literally to a tee. Or nothing like that time Tevez was paid £650k a week to play in China age 33. Or Oscar & Hulk being paid in excess of £400k to play in China. And so on, and so on ..

Why must people insist on continuing to dig themselves into a hole when they are speaking demonstrable, factual gibberish?

You came out with some wish-washy speculative point "How far are we from Mbappe or similar going to Saudi?", when there is literally not one single reference point of a top player in their prime years or even approaching prime years going there. Not. One. You're talking of a literal fantasy land that has zero grounding in the real world.

Meanwhile, there are numerous (yes .. numerous .. as in multiple) factual examples of other wealthy figures in other wealthy nations at different points in history similarly having undergone this type of project. Never progressed into prime-career elite players going there either, although ironically given your statement China actually came closest (and far closer than the Middle East nations have).

To answer your fantastical question: "how far are we from Mbappe or similar going to Saudi?". If you mean in their prime years, then it never has happened, never will.

Hope that helps you.
Why are you speaking in the present instead of the future, which is what I'm referring to? Do you not have vision? Anything is possible.

As for these numerous examples, please list. I'll wait, but I'm going to guess in advance that none ever same close to the wealth and ambition that the Saudis have.

And for the record best not to mention China again as that was always a house of cards. I'm pretty sure I said that on here at the time it was starting to take off as well (when I was living there).

I was just suggesting a possibility. Not sure why you're being so aggressive in your responses?

Unread 14-06-2023, 12:54 PM
Patty_b

If Saudi want to become a nation known for football, then Saudi can be a nation known for football. They're doing the same with Golf now. Threw money at all the players, and when that didn't quite as work as well as expected, just threw even more money at the PGA. Enough for the PGA to bite their hands off and make themselves look like complete mugs in the process.

The players they are signing now are just Saudi gearing up for their World Cup bid. They're going to lose Billions of £ and they won't give the slightest £#%&!, and it's not out of the kindness of their hearts.

10 years down the line it doesn't have to be a Domestic Saudi League, but a Saudi backed Super League might sound like a very exciting prospect for 'Super team' owners. Who gives a £#%&! what a few million fans might think if at that point worldwide there's 10 or 20 times more who are behind it?

Unread 14-06-2023, 01:12 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
If Saudi want to become a nation known for football, then Saudi can be a nation known for football. They're doing the same with Golf now. Threw money at all the players, and when that didn't quite as work as well as expected, just threw even more money at the PGA. Enough for the PGA to bite their hands off and make themselves look like complete mugs in the process.

The players they are signing now are just Saudi gearing up for their World Cup bid. They're going to lose Billions of £ and they won't give the slightest £#%&!, and it's not out of the kindness of their hearts.

10 years down the line it doesn't have to be a Domestic Saudi League, but a Saudi backed Super League might sound like a very exciting prospect for 'Super team' owners. Who gives a £#%&! what a few million fans might think if at that point worldwide there's 10 or 20 times more who are behind it?
Never going to happen in football because if there's one thing UEFA and FIFA are known for it's being impervious to the pressure of vast amounts of cash being offered their way. These lads always put the fans first.

Golf, F1, Boxing, Professional Wrestling, and more have all welcomed the Saudi gold. You'd need to be narrow minded not to think football could be next.

Unread 14-06-2023, 01:18 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Never going to happen in football because if there's one thing UEFA and FIFA are known for it's being impervious to the pressure of vast amounts of cash being offered their way. These lads always put the fans first.

Golf, F1, Boxing, Professional Wrestling, and more have all welcomed the Saudi gold. You'd need to be narrow minded not to think football could be next.
Yep, and my post wasn't a Qatari bad post in disguise. I think it's probably more likely to happen with Qatari ownership. But a Super League seems inevitable, and any owner that can afford to own our club (or a few other Premier League clubs) has to have that on their minds.

Follow the money or potentially get left behind. It's just business at the end of the day.

Unread 14-06-2023, 01:37 PM
tatty

The Ratcliffe/Glazer consortium would have us playing in a super league in a heartbeat.
Closed Thread