United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:38 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
They don't actually kill gays though do they? Not a single instance in history of a gay person being executed in Qatar.
Ok, replace ‘kill’ with ‘imprison’ if you like. Exactly the same applies.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:40 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Their country, their culture….ok, but you don’t have to endorse it/support it/buy into it etc.

Happy to promote inclusivity in the PL and wear rainbow armbands, but we’ll ignore all that when we want to watch our football in a country that directly opposes it.

If you want to go, fine. If you want to take the money, fine, but don’t be surprised when people call into question your morals.

BBC can £#%&! off too. Full of snide. Still there, still covering it. Sat in their studio in their stadium in their country. If it bothers you this much, don’t cover it.

Like Hislop simply put to Neville, if you’re really against it, then don’t go.
Not sure it's a question of 'morals'. Should we just demand that they abandon their entire culture and accept ours? What little of it there is left

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:43 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Not sure it's a question of 'morals'. Should we just demand that they abandon their entire culture and accept ours? What little of it there is left
No. It’s a false dichotomy. It doesn’t have to be us imposing our morals or them imposing theirs. They can simply not go, not take the money and not have their name associated with it.

And I’d say it’s absolutely about morals.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:02 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
No. It’s a false dichotomy. It doesn’t have to be us imposing our morals or them imposing theirs. They can simply not go, not take the money and not have their name associated with it.

And I’d say it’s absolutely about morals.
The whole of the football world is there, why shouldn't Beckham take a slice of the pie? Taking an individual stance is one thing, but he's a part of the football elite and to stay a part of that you have to be in the game and I'm sure that money will be spent on trying to develop that club he's trying to build.

I'd no more go to Qatar than I would the moon, but I can clearly see why someone with his standing in the game would want to be involved in the world cup.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:10 PM
92ToBury

Didn't Becks get paid to promote this country despite us selling arms to oppressive regimes like Qatar's neighbours? Also, promoted US football despite many parts of the country still having state-sanctioned executions and selling arms to even more oppressive regimes than we do.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:20 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
The whole of the football world is there, why shouldn't Beckham take a slice of the pie? Taking an individual stance is one thing, but he's a part of the football elite and to stay a part of that you have to be in the game and I'm sure that money will be spent on trying to develop that club he's trying to build.

I'd no more go to Qatar than I would the moon, but I can clearly see why someone with his standing in the game would want to be involved in the world cup.
Why shouldn’t he? Because it’s a country that imprisons gay people. Pretty simple.

Can he go? He absolutely he can and I’m not surprised that he has, but we also shouldn’t be surprised that he’s getting flack for it. When you’re a major ambassador for a football culture that makes a huge push for and prides itself on its inclusivity, you can’t then be surprised when you take the money from a country that doesn’t, and you get shit for it.

Personally, I don’t really care and have no expectations about David Beckham, but it’s clear where the priority lies. Football and money comes first. Fine, but don’t then bang on about inclusivity when you’re back over here, which I’m sure we’ll revert to once the premier league returns. It’s not just Beckham either. Neville claiming the ‘fight from within’. BBC taking shots while, you know, covering it.

Again, it’s pretty simple and understandable why people, especially LGBTQ3.41 people, would be upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Didn't Becks get paid to promote this country despite us selling arms to oppressive regimes like Qatar's neighbours? Also, promoted US football despite many parts of the country still having state-sanctioned executions and selling arms to even more oppressive regimes than we do.
True, but those issues are a little murkier. If we’re talking about the issue in this thread, it’s about David Beckham being an advocate for gay rights and Qatar opposing gay rights. It’s pretty black and white. I don’t know Beckhams position on capital punishment or the arms market.

As I said, not just Beckham either. He’s a representative of a football country that has and is spending a lot of its time promoting equality in the game - something directly opposed in Qatar.

I don’t expect him or anyone else not to go and I don’t have a horse in the race, but I do expect people to point out the hyprocrisy. Not sure I agree with Lycett’a way of doing it, but his position is understandable.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:28 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
True, but those issues are a little murkier. If we’re talking about the issue in this thread, it’s about David Beckham being an advocate for gay rights and Qatar opposing gay rights. It’s pretty black and white. I don’t know Beckhams position on capital punishment or the arms market.

As I said, not just Beckham either. He’s a representative of a football country that has and is spending a lot of its time promoting equality in the game - something directly opposed in Qatar.

I don’t expect him or anyone else not to go and I don’t have a horse in the race, but I do expect people to point out the hyprocrisy. Not sure I agree with Lycett’a way of doing it, but his position is understandable.
They may be a little murkier and not just a case of whataboutery. I understand what and why Lycett has done what he has.

Shouldn't there be a bigger issue at play here - our relationships with Pakistan, Nigeria, UAE and Saudi Arabia should come under the same level of scrutiny given they also have the death penalty for homosexuals. Not like people (including Beckham himself) to be inconsistent though.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:30 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
They may be a little murkier and not just a case of whataboutery. I understand what and why Lycett has done what he has.

Shouldn't there be a bigger issue at play here - our relationships with Pakistan, Nigeria, UAE and Saudi Arabia should come under the same level of scrutiny given they also have the death penalty for homosexuals. Not like people (including Beckham himself) to be inconsistent though.
Indeed. Difficult to be ‘that’ person who stands up to it.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:33 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Indeed. Difficult to be ‘that’ person who stands up to it.
Or to be the person who picks and chooses who to do it with. Can't beat dragging politics into football where it shouldn't belong.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:35 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Why shouldn’t he? Because it’s a country that imprisons gay people. Pretty simple.

Can he go? He absolutely he can and I’m not surprised that he has, but we also shouldn’t be surprised that he’s getting flack for it. When you’re a major ambassador for a football culture that makes a huge push for and prides itself on its inclusivity, you can’t then be surprised when you take the money from a country that doesn’t, and you get shit for it.

Personally, I don’t really care and have no expectations about David Beckham, but it’s clear where the priority lies. Football and money comes first. Fine, but don’t then bang on about inclusivity when you’re back over here, which I’m sure we’ll revert to once the premier league returns. It’s not just Beckham either. Neville claiming the ‘fight from within’. BBC taking shots while, you know, covering it.

Again, it’s pretty simple and understandable why people, especially LGBTQ3.41 people, would be upset.

Take on board what your saying, but when did football become about gay rights? For me, the great thing about football is that it is mostly apolitical and does unite, turning it into some kind of fashionable LGBT campaign is not required.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:37 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Or to be the person who picks and chooses who to do it with. Can't beat dragging politics into football where it shouldn't belong.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Take on board what your saying, but when did football become about gay rights? For me, the great thing about football is that it is mostly apolitical and does unite, turning it into some kind of fashionable LGBT campaign is not required.
Oh, I agree. As 92ers says: throwing Politics into sport doesn’t work….but having done it…

Unread 20-11-2022, 11:01 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:

Maybe Beckham likes the gays and Muslims. Does everybody have to pick a side?

Unread 20-11-2022, 11:04 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Maybe Beckham likes the gays and Muslims. Does everybody have to pick a side?
No. Which I’ve addressed already.

Unread 20-11-2022, 11:40 PM
jem

qatar's a bit dull. not properly evil like saudi. tbf, even the omanis are officially anti-gay.

Unread 21-11-2022, 11:05 AM
Hyman_Roth

To help promote inclusiveness and a progressive attitude towards men’s sports, FIFA have confirmed captains wearing the ‘one love’ armband will be booked.

Unread 21-11-2022, 11:15 AM
Sapien

Who is Aladdin Dohar? Never heard of him.

Unread 21-11-2022, 01:42 PM
Dr Stranger

Unread 21-12-2022, 10:26 AM
Pop

Unread 21-12-2022, 11:41 AM
Bunker Buster

Well this is awkward, what a £#%&!ing hypocrite @#%&!.....

A stunt for his own publicity.....

Becks should do a reply vid from a mosque, shredding 50k into an imans beard ..

Unread 21-12-2022, 11:44 AM
Ethers

Seen his arse over this tbf.

Closed Thread