United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 12-10-2023, 10:31 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
He’s very subtle but clearly his intention is to go over to the keeper and nudge/block him from moving to the side of the goal the balls about to travel to.

Doesn’t have to wipe him out for it to be a foul
That might have been his intention but he neither nudged him nor blocked him. Possibly one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. And I’ve seen a lot. Can’t wait for the VAR transcript. “Scotland can’t be winning in Spain against Spain. We won’t get paid. What can we do about it?”

Unread 13-10-2023, 09:18 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Yep. Great spot by VAR tbf.

Unread 13-10-2023, 09:33 AM
Bunker Buster

Watching MUTV as we do most mornings pre school...

It's the "Debate"

20 minutes on Scott The Scottish Player,..

"spirit of Beckham"
"United DNA"
"ALL great United sides built on squads not individuals"
"Big questions asked of Erik now for the cassimero role"

Unread 13-10-2023, 09:36 AM
armchair

Surprised a spanish side didn't have a nibble in the summer window. He could be decent at Atletico.

Unread 13-10-2023, 09:40 AM
Bunker Buster

He's surely in the window after his international form

Unread 13-10-2023, 09:48 AM
NedKelly

Surely Everton are interested now?

Unread 13-10-2023, 09:52 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
That might have been his intention but he neither nudged him nor blocked him. Possibly one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. And I’ve seen a lot. Can’t wait for the VAR transcript. “Scotland can’t be winning in Spain against Spain. We won’t get paid. What can we do about it?”

Unread 13-10-2023, 11:33 AM
dunk

Didn’t need to touch him either, could’ve just stood in his way a bit and it would’ve been enough. Soft as £#%&! though. When you consider some of the assaults players got away with on de Gea, VAR or no VAR, it’s a bit galling tbh.

Unread 13-10-2023, 01:53 PM
Sheik JaBooty

I think talk of selling him before we've even seen what he can do further forward is madness tbh. It's entirely possible he's been playing out of position for years, and having suffered the pain of watching him be too slow and unable to progress play from deep, why on earth would we not see how he handles being part of the first press and committing to getting into the box? He obviously has an eye for goal.

Wtf do we have to lose? We need proper commitment, bodies in the area and we don't score anywhere near enough goals. Imagine selling him to West Ham, then watching him get 15-18 a season. Not saying he definitely would, but we just don't know.

Unread 13-10-2023, 02:02 PM
Ethers

I’m not sure how someone you’ve just described as “too slow” is going to be the answer to any of the issues with our forward line tbh.

Unread 13-10-2023, 02:04 PM
suedeshoes

The new Paul Warhurst.

Unread 13-10-2023, 02:21 PM
Sheik JaBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I’m not sure how someone you’ve just described as “too slow” is going to be the answer to any of the issues with our forward line tbh.
Speed isn't the only attribute of an effective forward player mate. We've got, or had, enough forwards who could probably run a 10.5 100m in our squad over the past few years; how's that working out for us?

Unread 13-10-2023, 02:28 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik JaBooty
I think talk of selling him before we've even seen what he can do further forward is madness tbh. It's entirely possible he's been playing out of position for years, and having suffered the pain of watching him be too slow and unable to progress play from deep, why on earth would we not see how he handles being part of the first press and committing to getting into the box? He obviously has an eye for goal.

Wtf do we have to lose? We need proper commitment, bodies in the area and we don't score anywhere near enough goals. Imagine selling him to West Ham, then watching him get 15-18 a season. Not saying he definitely would, but we just don't know.
Yeah,

After being at one of the best football academy's in the world since he was 5, working with some of the best footballing caches in the world it's entirely possible he's been played out of position since 2015 and Shield jabooty has just realised it....

Unread 13-10-2023, 02:43 PM
Sheik JaBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Yeah,

After being at one of the best football academy's in the world since he was 5, working with some of the best footballing caches in the world it's entirely possible he's been played out of position since 2015 and Shield jabooty has just realised it....
All of which says absolutely nothing as per usual, unless you're suggesting no professional has ever switched positions mid career and contributed more to their teams than they did previously.

Our goal scoring record has been woeful for at least two and a half seasons now, statistically much more similar to bottom third of the league than top 6. McT has now scored 8 goals for club and country in 12 games playing in a more advanced role this season. Which of our starters is doing better than that? Not suggesting it's nailed on for one second, but worth a look? I think so.

Unread 13-10-2023, 02:49 PM
jem

mediocre no.5, mediocre no.6, mediocre no.8 or mediocre no.9. whevs.

he sees himself as a mediocre no.8. sounds about right.

Unread 13-10-2023, 03:28 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik JaBooty
Speed isn't the only attribute of an effective forward player mate. We've got, or had, enough forwards who could probably run a 10.5 100m in our squad over the past few years; how's that working out for us?
Speed is pretty £#%&!ing important for the way we play tbf. We saw with Weghorst that one of his biggest limitations was that he struggled to keep up with the pace of our counter attacks. Not sure why you’d want someone in there who’s too slow for midfield, unless you think we should change our entire style of fast transition attacks, to accommodate Scott The Scottish Player upfront

Unread 13-10-2023, 03:37 PM
NedKelly

Grateful for the comeback goals but playing him up top is ludicrous. Give Hojlund some time, he looks brilliant.

£#%&!ing hell

I’m incensed at this proposition tbh. Yeah let’s stick Hojlund on the bench after a few games and see what Scott can do.

Unread 13-10-2023, 04:44 PM
Patty_b

He can be our new Fellaini. Lump him on to win headers and be a nuisance for the last 10 minutes when we need a goal.

Unread 13-10-2023, 05:00 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He was watching the Beckham doc last night

https://youtu.be/ac_bi7fAwTg?si=cfMwadUdbzv33khL

Spirit of 99.
Fairplay to him & need's some more of our current players to realise & more importantly attempt replicate the standards our Legends of 99 set.

Unread 13-10-2023, 05:10 PM
Sheik JaBooty

No one suggested using him as a 9 ffs. He's managed to get 8 in 12 for us and Scotland despite not playing as an out and out centre forward. How? There are plenty of systems that would allow him to get forward more, and if we're using Weghorst as an example you have to ask yourself why we often looked better balanced and a better team despite him being slow as shit and a terrible finisher.

Whatever, all I see are a bunch of forward players who often aren't committed, in the wrong positions and can't finish. The numbers don't lie. McT has shown himself to have an eye for goal - albeit in a pretty small sample -, a surprisingly good technique - his takedown and finish for the equalizer vs Brentford was top drawer -, and a real willingness to get in the box - something we've been shit at for ages.

I wouldn't mind giving him a crack to see what he can do, especially since he's one of ours.