United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Chris Quayd

Default Red Rebels

Just raced through this book by JP, well worth a read for any red that has an interest in the history of United’s boardroom movements all the way back to ’58 through to the present day. The book has a particular focus on the various fan groups of the 90’s/00’s and the fight against Murdoch, the Glazers and ultimately the formation of FC United.

It felt like a trip down memory lane, from the RI Backbeat style reporting through to the characters from the protests and early days of FC. Without wishing to revisit some of the tired arguments of ’05 it is amazing and somewhat depressing how close the club was to getting a better board/owners at different times.

For those that know him the author is a polemic figure and while he is extremely intelligent and did more than most to organise the fans and fight for the club (Man Utd) he can also be pretty unforgiving to a fault. In the second half of the book he meticulously details everything Andy Walsh and Andy Walker did at the club using quotes from forums to do so and that can be heavy going for any reader that doesn’t care about FC. The short version is it went all Animal Farm and even ignoring the breakdown in relationship between JP and Walsh there are plenty of more credible figures that have spoken out against Walsh and what he did. Knowing now that Walsh, Walker and a few other board members were also part of Militant in the 80’s makes it easier to understand why FC ended up how it did (in the shit).

Had some great times at the protests and generally being part of something political at what was a formative time, feels as pertinent as ever with the state of the club under the Glazers and if nothing else it’s worth reading to try and figure out who top boy Zorg is as he is quoted in the book.

Unread 01-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Switching Off

Found Zorg on Facebook once. Was very proud of myself.

Unread 01-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Knockers

Not seen JP for years but know him and his family from growing up. Would be absolutely terrified to have him as an enemy.

Unread 01-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Bunker Buster

Mentioned in it a few times myself.......

They were the best and worst of times...made you realise some of them absolute quilts that go old Trafford and just don't give a £#%&!....

Will always remember the pre Milan march.....banners flares and a block of the road....

An angry couple pushing past

"Aren't these Italians noisy"

Taking the huge not for sale flag down to the cup final in Cardiff against arsenal.....if only we had won the shootout I put the cup on the stage...

(Stink bombs)

Unread 01-05-2019, 02:09 PM
believe

Is he one of the protesters who still has a ST at Old Trafford?

Unread 01-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Had some great times at the protests and generally being part of something political at what was a formative time.
i'll never forget that horseback copper getting showered with random footwear, taken from the skips outside OT during the `use your shoe` initiative. Coincided with the protests prior to the arsenal game. missed the first 20 minutes as I nearly died laughing at the copper being used as target practice.

Unread 01-05-2019, 02:46 PM
puressence

All the people at the protests then renewing Absolutely £#%&!ing staggering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Found Zorg on Facebook once. Was very proud of myself.
I’ve still not accepted your request

2005 ferie out. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Unread 01-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence

2005 ferie out. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I renewed. I renewed yesterday as well. I would have been more inclined to not renew if they didnt form their own club. I was hoping that those who formed it would have stayed as a collective group and burnt down old trafford

I read the book and it was an interesting read. I dont remember Zorg or Bunks getting mentioned in it. What were they mentioned for?

Unread 01-05-2019, 03:03 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence

2005 ferie out. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
How come Facebook beeps every 5 minutes saying you've gone live then?

Unread 01-05-2019, 03:51 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
I renewed. I renewed yesterday as well. I would have been more inclined to not renew if they didnt form their own club. I was hoping that those who formed it would have stayed as a collective group and burnt down old trafford

I?
This. All day long. People during that period completely forgot why they attached themselves to a football club in the 1st place. Pretty sure they didn’t 1st go aged 7 or 8 and expect to understand and approve the ownership structure and how well fans voices were considered. They would never have become united fans if they had.

Setting up FC was a hugely disproportionate response to the glazer takeover. It stunk of those orchestrating it needing to feel more important than they were irl and wanting some kind of status/ power.

And what’s played out supports that entirely.

Would have be far better to have stayed and campaigned within mufc.

Unread 01-05-2019, 04:29 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
It's a valid view and he touches on that in the book, rightly or wrongly he believed that resistence from within was doomed to fail and that the Glazers would only have taken notice if their bottom line was hit.

Quote:

Setting up FC was a hugely disproportionate response to the glazer takeover. It stunk of those orchestrating it needing to feel more important than they were irl and wanting some kind of status/ power.
Agree with the second part, the author goes into to detail on how some at SU and others at FC were using the platform to launch careers, that's partly why the FC/Tories thing happened, it wasn't a miscalculation, it was in fact very deliberate. However there were others like Delaney, JP etc that were primarily motivated by having the fans get some say in the club. Personally I wouldn't want fans running the club, it's simply too big. However a model like Barca/Real have is realistic, a collective body of fans can have some input into secondary issues.

Unread 01-05-2019, 04:32 PM
Bunker Buster

The fight from within yep.....that would have worked....

You couldn't get people to go in 10 minutes late
Not buy pies at Birmingham..

97% of supporters are utter sheep.

Unread 01-05-2019, 04:36 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
This. All day long. People during that period completely forgot why they attached themselves to a football club in the 1st place. Pretty sure they didn’t 1st go aged 7 or 8 and expect to understand and approve the ownership structure and how well fans voices were considered. They would never have become united fans if they had.

And what’s played out supports that entirely.

Wasnt that part of the reason they set it up though?

Saturday 3pms, few beers before and after, players who weren't aftershave peddling #@&%!s, terracing and rattles etc etc?

Unread 01-05-2019, 04:36 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Remember Fulham? they’re charging us 20 quid more than last season, don’t buy a pie at half time

Unread 01-05-2019, 04:37 PM
Seamus

Quote:

what were you and zorg in the book for?

Unread 01-05-2019, 04:44 PM
redhegemony

I know a few were associated with Militant and that whole strategy was to fight from within and not leave. They obviously lost Peter Taffe's secret booklet.

Unread 01-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
what were you and zorg in the book for?
No idea on Zorg....

Just general protest stuff and some FC shenanigans

Will you need an autograph ?

Unread 01-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Seamus

Quote:
No idea on Zorg....

Just general protest stuff and some FC shenanigans

Will you need an autograph ?
I have organised a meet and greet for you, 3k cash plus your expenses for 2 hours work.

Unread 01-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
I know a few were associated with Militant and that whole strategy was to fight from within and not leave. They obviously lost Peter Taffe's secret booklet.
The Militant lot, at least the ones mentioned in the book were the ones that went to FC. Walsh, Frampton, Walker (he was Boro and joined later) and Sherrard I think. Also that Boyle from Wimbledon who they brought on to investigate posts on forums was Militant.

Unread 01-05-2019, 05:06 PM
Jack Duckworth

it's a decent read, but it's basically just detailing forum posts for the most part.

i was stood next to andy walsh last night at radcliffe v rammy play off. was tempted to put it in the celebrity spots.
Closed Thread