Unread 07-03-2023, 08:52 PM
Ethers

Expected assists, £#%&!ing hell

Unread 07-03-2023, 08:55 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Highlights how little he creates. I could have just said he has created zero in the league tbf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
That’s actually quite a nice pass . Didn’t remember it being so good

22 years old in his first season. With a new language and culture . He hasn’t been great but he hasn’t been consistently poor. Some performances have been good others have been bad.

You have to give him atleast 12-18 months . Obviously if he puts in regular poor performances he gets dropped but right now it seems every other game is bad , every other game is good. We have had a good run of 15 wins in our last 21 games. He hasn’t played in all of them of course but he’s hardly hindering the team .

ETH has improved AWB Fred shaw rashford . Give him time to improve Antony too. Doesn’t help he has had a couple injuries this season.
Some of that would perhaps explain inconsistency or poor performances. However, most of the criticism is due to huge glaring weaknesses that are apparent in his game. Some of which I'm not really sure is going to be fixed by him being more settled by being here a few more months.

Unread 07-03-2023, 09:03 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Highlights how little he creates. I could have just said he has created zero in the league tbf.

Some of that would perhaps explain inconsistency or poor performances. However, most of the criticism is due to huge glaring weaknesses that are apparent in his game. Some of which I'm not really sure is going to be fixed by him being more settled by being here a few more months.
Yep, not sure him being the football equivalent of Christy Brown is going to get resolved by him learning English.

Unread 07-03-2023, 09:13 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:

His weak foot, his crossing. All can be improved with training . Him cutting out his shithousery, realising you can’t get away it as much (though personally I think you need an ego and arrogance to play for the club), be able to communicate with other players will help. Settling into the country, just mentality feeling comfortable in a country you’re living in has a big affect.

Understanding the speed of the game, expectations, experience in grounds the atmosphere ,expectations from media, how they’ll hound him, expectations of a Man Utd player. Having to be on top of your game for practically every game of the season. This isn’t a Dutch league with all due respect where against certain teams you can half arse it .All these can come with a bit of time.

He’s hardly peaking at 22. I’m not saying he is a guaranteed superstar/success . But his weaknesses can all be fixed. You’re judging him at 22 in his first season where he has an inconsistent RB behind him. The price paid wasn’t his fault. Not all players hit the ground running or be in the top 10 for their position in the world from a young age.

He hasn’t been great but he hasn’t been terrible. I don’t get why the expectation that if he isn’t scoring or assisting every game that means he’s a dud. I hope he improves and I have hope that he and ETH will get him to reach his potential .

Unread 07-03-2023, 09:19 PM
Coracao

Quote:
His weak foot, his crossing. All can be improved with training . Him cutting out his $#*!housery, realising you can’t get away it as much (though personally I think you need an ego and arrogance to play for the club), be able to communicate with other players will help.

Understanding the speed of the game, expectations, experience in grounds the atmosphere ,expectations from media, how they’ll hound him, expectations of a Man Utd player. Having to be on top of your game for practically every game of the season. This isn’t a Dutch league with all due respect where against certain teams you can half arse it .All these can come with a bit of time.

He’s hardly peaking at 22. I’m not saying he is a guaranteed superstar/success . But his weaknesses can all be fixed. You’re judging him at 22 in his first season. The price paid wasn’t his fault. Not all players hit the ground running or be in the top 10 for their position in the world from a young age.

He hasn’t been great but he hasn’t been terrible. I hope he improves and I have he and ETH will get him to reach his potential .
I'm not sure they can, personally. At least to the level required. I can't really remember another big signing like this where I have thought they have such huge deficiencies in their game. He just seems very limited for the level he will need to be at to make it at one of the top sides in Europe as a starter. Probably quite a few parallels with Depay - constantly cutting inside, relatively easy to defend against, doesn't have genuine pace to beat PL defenders - but Antony is far more one footed.

Unread 07-03-2023, 09:30 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
I'm not sure they can, personally. At least to the level required. I can't really remember another big signing like this where I have thought they have such huge deficiencies in their game. He just seems very limited for the level he will need to be at to make it at one of the top sides in Europe as a starter. Probably quite a few parallels with Depay - constantly cutting inside, relatively easy to defend against, doesn't have genuine pace to beat PL defenders - but Antony is far more one footed.
For me, I’m hoping he kicks on next season. Maybe with an attacking RB with credible threat he is less likely to be doubled on. Most of the time the frustration comes from his poor decision making . Maybe having a proper CF who can hold up the ball and make runs in behind too will help elevate his game. Maybe it’s wishful thinking, I just feel like it’s a bit too soon to write him off . I hope I’m right.

Unread 07-03-2023, 09:32 PM
Coracao

Quote:
For me, I’m hoping he kicks on next season. Maybe with an attacking RB with credible threat he is less likely to be doubled on. Most of the time the frustration comes from his poor decision making . Maybe having a proper CF who can hold up the ball and make runs in behind too will help elevate his game. Maybe it’s wishful thinking, I just feel like it’s a bit too soon to write him off . I hope I’m right.
I hope you are right pal. But its going to take an enormous amount of work on his game for me.

Unread 07-03-2023, 11:58 PM
armchair

I'd leave super-scouser on the bench for this one.

Unread 08-03-2023, 12:10 AM
MUFC One Love

Antony was dire at Anfield, lot to learn.

Anyway for Betis;

De Gea

Wan Bissaka
Maguire
Martinez
Malacia

The Scottish Player
Sabitzer
Fernandes (needs a rest but with the fallout from Anfield I think he will start)

Sancho
Weghorst
Garnacho

Unread 08-03-2023, 12:28 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

No way he starts Weghorst. If he starts him he’s gone full Ole.

Unread 08-03-2023, 12:31 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Nobody else.

Unread 08-03-2023, 12:34 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Nobody else.
Maybe we don't play with a defensive forward for this one?

Unread 08-03-2023, 01:08 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Whilst im no lover of the more modern stats, some teams actually use them to identify targets.

It's probably safe to assume that a player that creates chances would have a decent 'Expected Assists' tally. Youd surely pay attention to it in an attacking player unless they get the nouveau apology of being a defensive striker or winger.

Unread 08-03-2023, 04:41 AM
believe

I could understand him struggling with the language if half the squad weren’t Portuguese speakers.

Unread 08-03-2023, 07:49 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Maybe we don't play with a defensive forward for this one?
I'd rest Rashford that's why I think Weghorst will start.

Unread 08-03-2023, 08:28 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I'd rest Rashford that's why I think Weghorst will start.
I think ten Hag will want to win the game.

Unread 08-03-2023, 08:33 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Jesus.

Unread 08-03-2023, 08:33 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Jesus.
Plays for arsenal unfortunately

Unread 08-03-2023, 08:37 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I think ten Hag will want to win the game.
Of course.

But I think the team needs freshening up and Rashford needs a rest.

Unread 08-03-2023, 09:19 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
He’s going to start a team similar to the one that’s been winning nonstop post December.

One game where they all played horrible doesn’t change the fact. Personally I hope he rests a few and focuses a bit on the premier league just so we don’t lose momentum. But yea , he’s gone “full ole” if he plays a player who has been part of a winning side
Closed Thread