United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-01-2019, 09:35 AM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
"Again we’re going to have the debate whether a trophy will take the club to the next level. I don’t agree with it. It only builds your ego. The most important thing for Tottenham right now is to always be in the top four."
Most important for who? Has he asked the fans that spend thousands a year following them? Do not want

Unread 28-01-2019, 09:38 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
out of two cups in a week, and then this:

"Again we’re going to have the debate whether a trophy will take the club to the next level. I don’t agree with it. It only builds your ego. The most important thing for Tottenham right now is to always be in the top four."

what a loser
Wengeresque

Unread 28-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Spurs are a couple of injuries away from struggling. There's no way their squad is equipped for a battle on 4 fronts going into the new year. They'll falter simply because they've no squad depth.
sparky on point

don't know a single red who'd have him over ole atm. We'll see if that changes by the end of the season, but I can't see a CL win hurting Ole's claim tbf

Unread 28-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Jethro

Saw described as the Tesco Finest Moyes this morning . Anyone would think he's the only manager in the history of the game to have a few players out with injury. Close to tanking his managerial career and will end up as Everton's saviour in 2021.

Unread 28-01-2019, 09:50 AM
S/Side.Red

Silly quotes really. No need for it. They are 3rd, clear by four points. In the CL knockout round. They’re having a very good season. Why not stay calm..

Unread 28-01-2019, 09:50 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

The fact he's gone through 2 windows without making much needed acquisitions and without so much as a whimper makes him look like Levy's bitch and a weak character.

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
The fact he's gone through 2 windows without making much needed acquisitions and without so much as a whimper makes him look like Levy's bitch and a weak character.
on that note, will ole - if he gets the job - have the balls to go toe to toe with our overlords when he needs a player they refuse to sign

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:22 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
on that note, will ole - if he gets the job - have the balls to go toe to toe with our overlords when he needs a player they refuse to sign
Or will he call them out if they’re a bit inept/clueless. It’s one thing them being prepared to back him but they can still £#%&! it up in an range of ways.

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:27 AM
AK14

Get the right person in above him and I don’t think it’ll matter much tbh.

Let him concentrate on coaching the players and let the new DoF deal with the board on his behalf. Hopefully we get someone in who has connections and can spot talent before they make it big, similar to A.Madrid or Leipzig etc.

That way we’re getting young and hungry players instead of ageing mercenaries while the board should be happy that we’re not spendind shit loads on that type of player anymore.

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:27 AM
messhead

Quote:
This is the problem isn't it? Think people are being unfair on poch in regards to transfers too, we should know better than any other team this year what can go wrong when a manager bumps heads with those upstairs.Mou's comments in the summer and during the season basically demeaned several of our players (who, shit or not, we need them all to give their all week in week out) and caused all sorts of friction outside of his relationship with Woodward etc. If Levy is being a tight @#%&! then what can poch really do? "I've said to Daniel that Eric dier and Harry winks are nothing players and we need to get better players in". He's waiting for the Madrid job anyway, im convinced thats his endgame.

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:28 AM
dunk

Quote:
You don't need to call them out and go to war with them publicly, that is a fools errand.

From what I've heard and read about Ole, he's a tough bastard, very determined and intelligent, I have no doubts he'll be absolutely fine in the necessary battles with his bosses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

Let him concentrate on coaching the players and let the new DoF deal with the board on his behalf. Hopefully we get someone in who has connections and can spot talent before they make it big, similar to A.Madrid or Leipzig etc.

That way we’re getting young and hungry players instead of ageing mercenaries while the board should be happy that we’re not spendind shit loads on that type of player anymore
This is the key.

Spending £150m-200m every summer isn't feasible, so chucking money about willy-nilly needs to stop, we need to be smarter and concentrate on bringing in players with big potential and coaching them and the players coming through in order to build a team, rather than chucking money at pieces and hoping to put something together hastily.

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:33 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

That way we’re getting young and hungry players instead of ageing mercenaries while the board should be happy that we’re not spendind shit loads on that type of player anymore.
totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
This is the problem isn't it? Think people are being unfair on poch in regards to transfers too, we should know better than any other team this year what can go wrong when a manager bumps heads with those upstairs.Mou's comments in the summer and during the season basically demeaned several of our players (who, shit or not, we need them all to give their all week in week out) and caused all sorts of friction outside of his relationship with Woodward etc. If Levy is being a tight @#%&! then what can poch really do? "I've said to Daniel that Eric dier and Harry winks are nothing players and we need to get better players in". He's waiting for the Madrid job anyway, im convinced thats his endgame.
I like Poch and yeah, he's getting a rough ride on here because we've got ole seemingly out of nowhere. If we still had jose, pretty sure people would be more forgiving Until he (poch) moves to a club with a bigger budget, you can't really know how he'll work in that environment. United is a completely different type of pressure, probably equalled only by Real and Barca in terms of the expectation that comes with it. Which is why, if things are going well with ole, there's no way we should take the risk. Yeah poch could be amazing. He could also choke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You don't need to call them out and go to war with them publicly, that is a fools errand.

From what I've heard and read about Ole, he's a tough bastard, very determined and intelligent, I have no doubts he'll be absolutely fine in the necessary battles with his bosses.
Not saying it was a clever move, but it's what most fans already know and have been asking a manager to do for ages, basically ever since the glazers arrived. Blindingly obvious why he's got an ND clause in his contract - because he could probably tear the board (if not the owners) to shreds. Not gonna risk £15m for that though

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
That was a two-way thing though. His attitude from the moment we showed up for pre season was shit. Even though he’d already got Fred and Dalot in. Hung himself in that regard. The club just responded in an equally pretulant way by briefing against him constantly.
Saw his arse big time. Absolutely baffling really, because I think he'd bought some good will from the fans after the first couple of seasons to build on. Instead of using that to his advantage, he decided to react like fuzzy to ginners and lose his shit. Be shocked if another big club touches him now, unless they're really desperate. Mental @#%&!.

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:36 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Yeah. Could do with more than just a talent spotter though. Mourinho was right to talk about the structure above helping create better discipline and install a power base that controls players better. Last two managers haven’t had that support when they’ve needed it for various reasons. Players should feel like they’re taking on more than just the manager when they act up.

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:38 AM
dunk

Quote:
Not saying it was a clever move, but it's what most fans already know and have been asking a manager to do for ages, basically ever since the glazers arrived. Blindingly obvious why he's got an ND clause in his contract - because he could probably tear the board (if not the owners) to shreds. Not gonna risk £15m for that though
Could he though? It's their business and how they choose to run it and the restrictions/parameters the manager is set are up to them, regardless of whether we like it or not. He wasn't given an impossible task by any stretch, having a tantrum about only being able to spend £80m in the summer is frankly ridiculous. I daresay that more would've been spent had the targets made more long term sense too...

Any comments he made would reflect badly on him as he looked to find excuses and shift blame, which is already firmly ingrained within is M.O. and would just make him look even more bitter and desperate imo.

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Yeah. Could do with more than just a talent spotter though. Mourinho was right to talk about the structure above helping create better discipline and install a power base that controls players better. Last two managers haven’t had that support when they’ve needed it for various reasons. Players should feel like they’re taking on more than just the manager when they act up.
Great point. It's why I think the 'new regime' has worked so well - 3 fergie era united legends (won't hear a word said against shorts in that respect) on the bench and training pitch.

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:49 AM
AK14

Quote:
Great point. It's why I think the 'new regime' has worked so well - 3 fergie era united legends (won't hear a word said against shorts in that respect) on the bench and training pitch.
It really does help that they get us and understand the club :scouse:

Moyes coming in and getting rid of ferries backroom team was absolutely £#%&!ing ludicrous (almost as bad as giving Moyes the job in the first place tbh).

How that was allowed is a joke.

Unread 28-01-2019, 10:51 AM
andyroo

Quote:
It really does help that they get us and understand the club :scouse:

Moyes coming in and getting rid of ferries backroom team was absolutely £#%&!ing ludicrous (almost as bad as giving Moyes the job in the first place tbh).

How that was allowed is a joke.
Not entirely fair. Many managers bring their coaching staff with them and Meulensteen for one was a bit of a fraud.

Moyes's coaching staff were underwhelming because they were his. Plus it wasn't all bad, Popers got plenty of mileage out of Wee Jimmy.

Unread 28-01-2019, 11:04 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Not entirely fair. Many managers bring their coaching staff with them and Meulensteen for one was a bit of a fraud.

Moyes's coaching staff were underwhelming because they were his. Plus it wasn't all bad, Popers got plenty of mileage out of Wee Jimmy.
The problem was that we already lost Gill and Fergie, keeping some sort of familiarity at that time could have helped the transition. Obviously hiring Moyes was big mistake, but getting rid of coaches who’d been part of title winning teams was a bit stupid.

Unread 28-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
out of two cups in a week, and then this:

what a loser
His chairman would agree with him.

Quote:
sparky on point

don't know a single red who'd have him over ole atm. We'll see if that changes by the end of the season, but I can't see a CL win hurting Ole's claim tbf
It will be decided long before then. Beating PSG and things generally not turning to shit would get him the job by the end of March.

Quote:
Silly quotes really. No need for it. They are 3rd, clear by four points. In the CL knockout round. They’re having a very good season. Why not stay calm..
He can see the united job slipping away. Still, there’s always Madrid.

Unread 28-01-2019, 11:46 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Still, there’s always Madrid.
Yep. The sort of job where he can really cement his legacy and stay for up to 3 years if things go ok.
Closed Thread