United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-02-2019, 04:53 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Don’t think the money is the factor. It’s only a year ago we committed a fortune to Sanchez and we dish out four-year contracts to lads like Jones as if it’s nothing. They extended Mou’s deal when they clearly didn’t trust him. The club are far more reckless with money than given credit for and if they think Poch could rebuild United then £40m is nothing.

Solskjaer is just as big a risk. If he falls away next season they’ll get just as much criticism for being naive as they would if they went for Poch. That’s why it isn’t an easy decision. I tend to think he will get it though and Poch staying at Spurs in the meantime is ideal.
They’re players and not the manager.

The last few managerial appointments have shown that we don’t look to buy managers out of their current clubs for huge amounts of money.

Poch is clearly a bigger risk at this moment because of the cost, the fact he’d want his own coaching team in place, own ideas etc. Ole has proven he can do the job, isn’t that expensive (read it’s between £5-7m?), coaching staff already in place.

Woodward isn’t so stupid that he’d throw Ole away now and spend so much money on Poch who could quite easily become a very expensive failure. He’s already had a few failures, one of which cost him quite a bit of money to get
rid of.

There’s also the possibility that if Poch came in and failed, the questions will all be about why the board didn’t give Ole the job etc. That would probably be the end of Woodward on the football side of things, because of how well Ole has done up until now (assuming we don’t fall away badly in the next few months)

If Ole fails next season, the club can let him go quite easily and then commit to a Poch.

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:02 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
If Ole fails next season, the club can let him go quite easily and then commit to a Poch.
Well yes, that does seem to be a decent fall back position.

Was very much "he has to prove himself" with OGS initially, but he has hardly done a bad job thus far has he?

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:04 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
£40m doesn't mean anything to them, but I think we'd struggle to prise him away from there.

Ole is the easy decision in terms of how easy he'd be to get as opposed to Poch.

Genuine concerns about Poch's capacity to go to that 'next level'

Spurs constantly shitting out the moment they look like they have a squeak of the title is a concern.

On a bigger level, they're overachieving . On a micro level, they're bottlers
Nobody fancied them for the league title before this season. So them falling short can hardly be a bottle job. They're competing against five of the richest clubs in Europe without spending any money themselves. They're overachieving and I don't see the need to dissect it much more than that. I expect them to fall short. That they do it at the so-called final hurdle shows the progress.

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:05 PM
£#%&! KFC

off you £#%&! pudding face...again

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
They’re players and not the manager.

The last few managerial appointments have shown that we don’t look to buy managers out of their current clubs for huge amounts of money.

Poch is clearly a bigger risk at this moment because of the cost, the fact he’d want his own coaching team in place, own ideas etc. Ole has proven he can do the job, isn’t that expensive (read it’s between £5-7m?), coaching staff already in place.

Woodward isn’t so stupid that he’d throw Ole away now and spend so much money on Poch who could quite easily become a very expensive failure. He’s already had a few failures, one of which cost him quite a bit of money to get
rid of.

There’s also the possibility that if Poch came in and failed, the questions will all be about why the board didn’t give Ole the job etc. That would probably be the end of Woodward on the football side of things, because of how well Ole has done up until now (assuming we don’t fall away badly in the next few months)

Why would they make that distinction? Happy to piss money away on players but become tight when it's the manager?

They gave LvG a longer contract than he wanted and extended Mourinho when they didn't trust him. I think signing out of work managers was just a coincidence tbf. I expect the decision to be a logical one rather than a financial one. They won't hire Ole because he's cheaper imo; it'll be because they think what he's doing is sustainable.

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:26 PM
AK14

Quote:
Why would they make that distinction? Happy to piss money away on players but become tight when it's the manager?

They gave LvG a longer contract than he wanted and extended Mourinho when they didn't trust him. I think signing out of work managers was just a coincidence tbf. I expect the decision to be a logical one rather than a financial one. They won't hire Ole because he's cheaper imo; it'll be because they think what he's doing is sustainable.
I think It’ll be because he fits the profile of what they want (proven he can do it, cheap, plays attacking football etc). There’ll be a few reason why they go for him, one of which is he’ll be a lot cheaper. If Poch had a buy out clause or some shit for around the same money as It would take to get Ole as a permanent manager, I think it would be a closer call to make.

They see players as assets on a commercial front as well as on the pitch, so are happy to spend x amount on them because they know they’ll get something back in return almost immediately.

£40m on a manager is new territory for us (many other clubs too I’d expect) and something that could quite easily blow up in their face if it goes wrong. Especially when the interim manager has us playing football we haven’t seen for 6 years, breaking the right records with players and fans on side.

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think It’ll be because he fits the profile of what they want (proven he can do it, cheap, plays attacking football etc). There’ll be a few reason why they go for him, one of which is he’ll be a lot cheaper. If Poch had a buy out clause or some shit for around the same money as It would take to get Ole as a permanent manager, I think it would be a closer call to make.

They see players as assets on a commercial front as well as on the pitch, so are happy to spend x amount on them because they know they’ll get something back in return almost immediately.

£40m on a manager is new territory for us (many other clubs too I’d expect) and something that could quite easily blow up in their face if it goes wrong. Especially when the interim manager has us playing football we haven’t seen for 6 years, breaking the right records with players and fans on side.
Indeed. But that risk is there either way now. People will love it if Ole proves another Di Matteo etc and they can laugh at United being naive and changing their mind at the drop of a hat again. Poor Ed won't be relishing the decision.

Besides, I think Poch would get the fans and players onside and the football would be as good if not better than we're seeing. It's not like you'd be throwing those things away. But if we carry on like this for 12 more games the momentum could be too huge to break.

Again, Ole signs on and Poch stays at Spurs feels ideal right now.

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:36 PM
red in cumbria

The next game for Spurs is against Arsenal, btw - what odds three defeats in a row?

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:44 PM
dunk

Quote:
Indeed. But that risk is there either way now. People will love it if Ole proves another Di Matteo etc and they can laugh at United being naive and changing their mind at the drop of a hat again. Poor Ed won't be relishing the decision.

Besides, I think Poch would get the fans and players onside and the football would be as good if not better than we're seeing. It's not like you'd be throwing those things away. But if we carry on like this for 12 more games the momentum could be too huge to break.

Again, Ole signs on and Poch stays at Spurs feels ideal right now.
Been my view for a bit now. Just don’t see Poch leaving Spurs this summer with the new stadium on the horizon. That’s before Ole ripped it up..

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:45 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
The next game for Spurs is against Arsenal, btw - what odds three defeats in a row?
They'll batter arsenal.

State of the poch doubters because he loses a couple of games. Staaaaate.

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:52 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
They'll batter arsenal.

State of the poch doubters because he loses a couple of games. Staaaaate.
he;s lost eight in the league

pudding face @#%&!

Unread 28-02-2019, 07:04 PM
red in cumbria

Of course it *could* be their first draw in the league this campaign.

Unread 28-02-2019, 07:13 PM
My Name is Keith

I like him and wanted him to be our next manager until ole’s appointment but I don’t think he’s proved himself to be exceptional in any respect so far with spurs. He’s simply proved to be a very capable manager and probably over achieves to a degree but that’s about it.

He worryingly falls away too often and in the Leicester season only took something like 15 points from a possible 30 in the last 10 games - a season when all the big boys were having meltdowns.

I honestly think that what ole’s done so far with a squad so low on motivation, energy and intent is far more exceptional.

Ole getting the job doesn’t mean poch couldn’t do a decent job with us - just that I’d have more faith in ole at this moment in time

Unread 01-03-2019, 10:58 AM
TheFatGoth

Just won manager of the year and rightly so

Unread 01-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
London Football Awards

Unread 01-03-2019, 06:10 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
The year in question being 2018, presumably. And now?

Unread 01-03-2019, 06:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
The year in question being 2018, presumably. And now?
Don't think the 2019 award has been decided yet mate.

Unread 01-03-2019, 06:40 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Don't think the 2019 award has been decided yet mate.
Ha ha what a card

My point of course being that it is now history, Spurs form in the last two months has been less than stellar.

Unread 01-03-2019, 06:46 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Ha ha what a card

My point of course being that it is now history, Spurs form in the last two months has been less than stellar.
Two games if we're honest.

Before that they'd won ten out of their last twelve league games.

Unread 01-03-2019, 07:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
wtf for?
Closed Thread