United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-02-2019, 05:57 PM
dunk

Unread 14-02-2019, 06:06 PM
Switching Off

Can't remember specific but recall Spurs being in the race till Chelsea and a ref £#%&!ed them over at Stamford Bridge

Unread 14-02-2019, 06:30 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Champions of England? Champions of Europe? Everything their hearts desired?
Is this a QTWTAIN?

(or to be strictly accurate, a series of them)

Unread 14-02-2019, 10:52 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
When the competition is Leicester, yes.
The problem with this angle is it ignores the fact Leicester lost one match after the turn of the year. Any team would have found it tough to catch a side who hit such silly levels of consistency. I believe Fergie said he felt they would win it in January.

The fact it's Leicester becomes irrelevant when they're winning every week.

Unread 15-02-2019, 12:18 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
The problem with this angle is it ignores the fact Leicester lost one match after the turn of the year. Any team would have found it tough to catch a side who hit such silly levels of consistency. I believe Fergie said he felt they would win it in January.

The fact it's Leicester becomes irrelevant when they're winning every week.
Have to agree too that saying "Spurs bottled it" belittles what was a staggering achievement from Leicester by any yardstick.

Incredible as it seemed, and indeed always will, they were worthy champions.

Unread 15-02-2019, 08:30 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Have to agree too that saying "Spurs bottled it" belittles what was a staggering achievement from Leicester by any yardstick.

Incredible as it seemed, and indeed always will, they were worthy champions.
They won it very comfortably too.

Had it got close to 'bottle it' territory, then maybe they would have, but it's testament to them that they kept everyone at arms length all season.

Unread 15-02-2019, 09:02 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
They won it very comfortably too.

Had it got close to 'bottle it' territory, then maybe they would have, but it's testament to them that they kept everyone at arms length all season.
When they clinched the title they were 11/3/1 from their last 15 games. That's title winning form, Leicester or not.

Still an absurd achievement. Made more strange by Ranieri currently being ridiculed by Fulham fans

Unread 15-02-2019, 09:08 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
When they clinched the title they were 11/3/1 from their last 15 games. That's title winning form, Leicester or not.

Still an absurd achievement. Made more strange by Ranieri currently being ridiculed by Fulham fans
Yep. They just didn't blink.

At any point.

I remember a spell where they looked nervous in their play, but they dug out results. I seem to remember a 2-2 draw at home to someone where they scored a last minute penalty. Had they lost that, who knows....

... but every title race has moments like that.

Whichever way you look at it, they were worthy winners.

Unread 15-02-2019, 09:14 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yep. They just didn't blink.

At any point.

I remember a spell where they looked nervous in their play, but they dug out results. I seem to remember a 2-2 draw at home to someone where they scored a last minute penalty. Had they lost that, who knows....

... but every title race has moments like that.

Whichever way you look at it, they were worthy winners.
West Ham. Then they came and got a 1-1 at Old Trafford and really we should have had a late pen for a foul on Memphis. I think Spurs knew it was game up after those results going their way.

Btw looking at that period, Spurs won 10 out of 13 games. The dropped points - draws against Liverpool and Arsenal and loss at West Ham. Again, title form but Leicester were too resilient.

Unread 15-02-2019, 09:18 AM
dunk

Quote:

Footballing Gods giving Claudio the title Mourinho stole from him at Chelsea...

Unread 15-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
West Ham. Then they came and got a 1-1 at Old Trafford and really we should have had a late pen for a foul on Memphis. I think Spurs knew it was game up after those results going their way.

Btw looking at that period, Spurs won 10 out of 13 games. The dropped points - draws against Liverpool and Arsenal and loss at West Ham. Again, title form but Leicester were too resilient.
Yeah, that's the one.

They looked nervous early on at OT. We scored and I thought we'd go on to win, but they grew in to the game and were incredibly confident in what they were doing. It masked their limitations.

City set the bar now for the quality of football.... but Leicester, Chelsea and to lesser extent Liverpool (who have been building to this season a little more) over the last few years have shown just how far you can get with a bit of momentum and confidence.

Even we've managed a complete flip in from over 10 league matches

Unread 15-02-2019, 03:21 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
[/b]

At this point of the season in 2015/16 Leicester beat City 3-1 at the Etihad

After week 30 - Leicester were on 63 points and Tottenham 58, with arsenal and city having played a game fewer on 52 and 51 points respectively.

Unread 15-02-2019, 03:28 PM
Buck

Quote:
After week 30 - Leicester were on 63 points and Tottenham 58, with arsenal and city having played a game fewer on 52 and 51 points respectively.
So leicester still had a 5 point cushion. Interesting.

You can't bottle something you never led.

Unread 15-02-2019, 03:30 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
People talking about Leicester not dropping any points - often teams don't when there's no one breathing down their neck.

Last 5 or 6 matches, didn't Spurs draw with about 4/5 teams including West Brom?

They took the pressure off Leicester.

In the year that MUFC, City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea were all over the place, Spurs finished 3rd

Quote:
So leicester still had a 5 point cushion. Interesting.

You can't bottle something you never led.
What absolute rubbish.

Unread 15-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
People talking about Leicester not dropping any points - often teams don't when there's no one breathing down their neck.

Last 5 or 6 matches, didn't Spurs draw with about 4/5 teams including West Brom?

In the year that MUFC, City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea were all over the place, Spurs finished 3rd

What absolute rubbish.
A team that never were top of the league at any point of the season bottled the league? Never heard of that one before.

Unread 15-02-2019, 04:07 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
A team that never were top of the league at any point of the season bottled the league? Never heard of that one before.
What, you've never heard of a team pressing for top spot bottling it thereby easing the pressure on the leaders? How long you've been watching football? A couple of days?

Unread 15-02-2019, 04:11 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

What absolute rubbish.
There was pressure on them because they were a midtable side going for the most unlikely title win of all time.

We are seeing a club the size of Liverpool looking nervous with a 7 point lead in February.

The fact their arse didn't fall out the minute they were top is remarkable enough .

Unread 15-02-2019, 04:24 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
There was pressure on them because they were a midtable side going for the most unlikely title win of all time.

We are seeing a club the size of Liverpool looking nervous with a 7 point lead in February.

The fact their arse didn't fall out the minute they were top is remarkable enough .
You saying that if a team like the current City was 1 point behind Leicester going into the last 10 matches of that season, it would have not increased the pressure on Leicester?

Don't confuse the point, I'm not diminishing Leicester's achievement - it was incredible - just that the lack of meaningful challenge was immeasurably helpful. Weird that anyone can argue with that point tbh.

Equally, I've always rated Poch and I'd be happy for him to follow Ole at United. But I think it's a tall order not to suggest that their inability to meaningfully challenge Leicester that season was disappointing and the lack of trophies full stop is v poor. Some of that is on Poch.

Unread 15-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Buck

Quote:
What, you've never heard of a team pressing for top spot bottling it thereby easing the pressure on the leaders? How long you've been watching football? A couple of days?
Spurs were never top of the league. City were. United were. Arsenal were. If a team that were always behind bottled it then so must have three teams who led the pack for a time.

You see if we were to apply this standard where you don't have to be in front to bottle something then bar the odd year when one team runs away with it, then every other season a team bottles the league. Because if you won all the games you didn't you'd be champions!

And that's why I'm not throwing around the bottle card when it gets treated as a synonym for not winning a game these days.

Unread 15-02-2019, 04:31 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Spurs were never top of the league. City were. United were. Arsenal were. If a team that were always behind bottled it then so must have three teams who led the pack for a time.

You see if we were to apply this standard where you don't have to be in front to bottle something then bar the odd year when one team runs away with it, then every other season a team bottles the league. Because if you won all the games you didn't you'd be champions!

And that's why I'm not throwing around the bottle card when it gets treated as a synonym for not winning a game these days.
Jesus. Use a different word than bottle then. The lack of pressure from spurs that year was v poor. They 'bottled'* the challenge.

* use different word.
Closed Thread