United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-06-2019, 11:48 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Yeah, let's go out and buy big. Worked wonders for us over the past five years. Why change a winning formula? Any more Di Marias and Pogbas out there?

We can avoid paying 60m for likes of Diop and AWB, and that's through buying them at an earlier stage. Like we've done with James. But of course it shows a lack of ambition sniffing around Swansea and Leicester. Quite fancy Neves but he plays for Wolves so we should stay well clear.
We have failed at buying big name players but we have also failed at buying young players with potential too. Zaha, Depay, Martial, Shaw and Bailly, over £150m on that lot, not one you'd call a success. No point buying young players if you have no ability to develop them.

Unread 16-06-2019, 12:13 PM
AK14

United have never ever signed players from clubs we’d crush every week tbf...

Van der sar, Saha, berbatov, Carrick, Ferdinand, Rooney, Tevez, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Ince, Robson, Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, Keane,

Other than those players obvs..

Unread 16-06-2019, 12:52 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
We have failed at buying big name players but we have also failed at buying young players with potential too. Zaha, Depay, Martial, Shaw and Bailly, over £150m on that lot, not one you'd call a success. No point buying young players if you have no ability to develop them.
So big names have failed. Young players have failed. Not buying at all might be the only strategy that works.

Saying that, out of current squad would still say Lindelof, Shaw and Dalot have worked out better value than the “big names” of Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez.

Unread 16-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
So big names have failed. Young players have failed. Not buying at all might be the only strategy that works.

Saying that, out of current squad would still say Lindelof, Shaw and Dalot have worked out better value than the “big names” of Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez.
Shaw has been an absolute disaster of a signing while the other two have shown glimpses this season, it's an extremely low bar.

Obviously we need to buy players, but if both big names and players with potential are failing then it points to the issue being more than just signing players.

Unread 16-06-2019, 01:14 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
United have never ever signed players from clubs we’d crush every week tbf...

Van der sar, Saha, berbatov, Carrick, Ferdinand, Rooney, Tevez, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Ince, Robson, Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, Keane,

Other than those players obvs..

The players we are being linked with don't possess anywhere near the quality of those players so absolutely ridiculous to compare.

I have never even heard of this Diop @#%&!.

Unread 16-06-2019, 01:15 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
The players we are being linked with don't possess anywhere near the quality of those players so absolutely ridiculous to compare.

You’ve never heard of him but know he isn’t good enough?...

Unread 16-06-2019, 01:17 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Shaw has been an absolute disaster of a signing while the other two have shown glimpses this season, it's an extremely low bar.

Obviously we need to buy players, but if both big names and players with potential are failing then it points to the issue being more than just signing players.
But that issue isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

So the solution is not to go out and buy loads of new big name players - like Bunks and Koppas are advocating - but to try and have a more balanced approach. Surely?

Unread 16-06-2019, 01:18 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
You’ve never heard of him but know he isn’t good enough?...

Where did I say he isn't good enough?

Said I haven't heard of the @#%&! but it's not someone who exactly springs to mind when people were talking about shoring up the defence...

Unread 16-06-2019, 01:24 PM
AK14

Quote:

Quote:
Where did I say he isn't good enough?

Said I haven't heard of the @#%&! but it's not someone who exactly springs to mind when people were talking about shoring up the defence...
You’re saying he isn’t good enough compared to previous players that were bought from ‘lesser clubs’, but then say you’ve never ever heard of him let alone seen him play.

Makes you sound a little daft tbh.

The reason he didn’t spring to mind for you is obviously because you’ve never heard of him. For the people that do know of him and have seen him play say he’s a good player.

Unread 16-06-2019, 01:30 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
But that issue isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

So the solution is not to go out and buy loads of new big name players - like Bunks and Koppas are advocating - but to try and have a more balanced approach. Surely?
But we have had a balanced approach, for every Lukaku, Pogba or Di Maria we have signed a Darmian, Fred or Schneiderlin. The solution is to develop a style of play so regardless of whether we are signing experience or not new signings have an idea of what is expected of them on the pitch.

Unread 16-06-2019, 01:36 PM
shenwen

Quote:
But we have had a balanced approach, for every Lukaku, Pogba or Di Maria we have signed a Darmian, Fred or Schneiderlin. The solution is to develop a style of play so regardless of whether we are signing experience or not new signings have an idea of what is expected of them on the pitch.
Sure. Not arguing against that. But that’s not what people on this thread are saying. They are saying we are too big to be buying players they’ve never heard of from West Ham and Swansea. Which a bit stupid.

Unread 16-06-2019, 01:44 PM
AK14

As much as I’d like this signing I don’t actually believe we’re even considering it tbh.

The only links to Diop have come from Sky (I think?) and they’re pretty shit, anyone remember the time they reported Benatia was on a plane coming over here to sign?

Unread 16-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Vedder

Quote:
As much as I’d like this signing I don’t actually believe we’re even considering it tbh.

The only links to Diop have come from Sky (I think?) and they’re pretty shit, anyone remember the time they reported Benatia was on a plane coming over here to sign?
Smokescreen for De Ligt pal. Next week

Unread 16-06-2019, 02:59 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder

Unread 16-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Think you could be right lad

Unread 16-06-2019, 06:30 PM
AK14

Quote:
Wouldn’t be surprised if it is a smokescreen tbh, but not for de ligt I don’t think

Wonder why we haven’t looked at Nathan Ake?

Unread 16-06-2019, 06:47 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Wouldn’t be surprised if it is a smokescreen tbh, but not for de ligt I don’t think

I mentioned him months back as someone we should be looking at.

Great player.

Maybe the smokescreen is for big AKers....

Hang on...

AK(e)....

Unread 16-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Vedder

Quote:

Because he’s shit?

Unread 16-06-2019, 07:58 PM
AK14

Quote:
Because he’s shit?

He’s a top defender

Good on the ball too tbh.

Unread 16-06-2019, 08:14 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

He’s a top defender

Good on the ball too tbh.
Not for me.

Full of errors. Good last ditch defender but sees his arse far too often for a top defender IMO.

I'll be surprised if he makes it at a top side.
Closed Thread