United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-06-2019, 07:41 AM
TheFatGoth

Football With pre-season training starting in less than 3 weeks...

...this is the current state of our first team squad

Quote:
Goalkeepers: David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Lee Grant, Joel Castro Pereira

Defenders: Victor Lindelöf, Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Marcos Rojo, Ashley Young, Diogo Dalot, Luke Shaw, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Matteo Darmian, Axel Tuanzebe

Midfielders: Paul Pogba, Fred, Scott The Scottish Player, Andreas Pereira, Nemanja Matić, Jesse Lingard, James Garner, Angel Gomes, Daniel James (pending)

Forwards: Alexis Sánchez, Romelu Lukaku, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, Tahith Chong, Mason Greenwood

Unread 11-06-2019, 07:43 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Goalkeepers: David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Lee Grant, Joel Castro Pereira

Defenders: Victor Lindelöf, Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Marcos Rojo, Ashley Young, Diogo Dalot, Luke Shaw, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Matteo Darmian, Axel Tuanzebe

Midfielders: Paul Pogba, Fred, Scott The Scottish Player, Andreas Pereira, Nemanja Matić, Jesse Lingard, James Garner, Angel Gomes, Daniel James (pending)

Forwards: Alexis Sánchez, Romelu Lukaku, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, Tahith Chong, Mason Greenwood
Those in red need binning off. Pretty thin squad after that tbf

Unread 11-06-2019, 07:43 AM
Lok

I bet City and Liverpool are shitting themselves.

It'd be a farce if we don't have most of our business sorted out a week before training starts. We need the team to bond and get used to each other. It's essential they are all there from day 1 and go on tour together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Those in red need binning off. Pretty thin squad after that tbf
The cull we were promised looks less and less likely by the day.

Unread 11-06-2019, 07:47 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Need me in charge. Would spend more on terminating contracts / terminating Ashley Young than on actual player purchases

Unread 11-06-2019, 07:51 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Need me in charge. Would spend more on terminating contracts / terminating Ashley Young than on actual player purchases

That's what is needed. I'd much rather we dumped half the squad and played kids.

Build a culture, bring in 1 or 2 top players a year and get back on the right path. 4 or 5 superstars is not going to fix anything. We need players who are desperate to play for the club. Then when the ship is steady we can nourish it with world class talent.

Most great teams are built on a solid foundation with a gritty spine. We don't have anyone who fits that bill.

Unread 11-06-2019, 07:56 AM
waynes ear's

spines dont build social media numbers pal

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Ole's oops, happy to be here act is going to get old pretty fast, and pity the man for having to work with woodward. it's the same every summer with that incompetent chinless dweeb.

both of them are not good enough tbh

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:03 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
I bet City and Liverpool are shitting themselves.

It'd be a farce if we don't have most of our business sorted out a week before training starts. We need the team to bond and get used to each other. It's essential they are all there from day 1 and go on tour together.

Who promised a ‘cull’?

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:07 AM
tatty

I haven't seen the squad written down like that before.

Dreadful.

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:10 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Who promised a ‘cull’?
Didn't OGS say after the Cardiff game "some of these players won't be here next season" or something to that effect?

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I haven't seen the squad written down like that before.

Dreadful.
Agreed. While my cull wouldn't be quite as harsh as Ear's, it still wouldn't be enough for a starting lineup, and that's including two goalkeepers.

Quote:
Didn't OGS say after the Cardiff game "some of these players won't be here next season" or something to that effect?
And he's probably realising now that it doesn't matter what he says infront of the cameras, as he doesn't actually get a say in the matter when it counts.

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Ethers

Quote:
And he’s right

That’s quite different from a ‘cull’. Which was never going to happen. We simply can’t afford to replace half the squad in one transfer window, it’s absolute fantasy land stuff.

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:24 AM
75Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

And he's probably realising now that it doesn't matter what he says in front of the cameras, as he doesn't actually get a say in the matter when it counts.
Yep.
He also said in a couple of interviews that he wanted new players in well before the beginning of pre season.
So we're either in for a very busy couple of weeks, or Ole's going to be disappointed. I'm going for the latter.

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:30 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
And he’s right

That’s quite different from a ‘cull’. Which was never going to happen. We simply can’t afford to replace half the squad in one transfer window, it’s absolute fantasy land stuff.
But we're one of the only clubs in the world who actually can afford to do it, adding on money we could make and the wages we could save from the sales of Pogba and De Gea (whom both want to leave the club).

That's not even going into the money that could be raised and wages saved by offloading many squad players that we just do not need, or Lukaku and Martial. Even if we have to pay a portion of their wages for a while, we'd still end up better off financially.

It would be ruthless and brave, but looking at our squad it's very hard to argue that it's not an urgent requirement.

Unfortunately we have a soft thick @#%&! in charge, so it's never going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Red
So we're either in for a very busy couple of weeks, or Ole's going to be disappointed. I'm going for the latter.
I think that's a good bet pal.

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
But we're one of the only clubs in the world who actually can afford to do it, adding on money we could make and the wages we could save from the sales of Pogba and De Gea (whom both want to leave the club).

That's not even going into the money that could be raised and wages saved by offloading many squad players that we just do not need, or Lukaku and Martial. Even if we have to pay a portion of their wages for a while, we'd still end up better off financially.

It would be ruthless and brave, but looking at our squad it's very hard to argue that it's not an urgent requirement.

Unfortunately we have a soft thick @#%&! in charge, so it's never going to happen.

I think that's a good bet pal.
It really doesn’t work like that unfortunately, at least not at United.

As I say, it’s fantasy land stuff.

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:37 AM
AK14

Isn’t it only today that the international transfer window has opened? That’s probably why we haven’t seen anyone leave yet.

Darmian and Rojo should be gone with Bailly too if we get in a centre back.

I’m not holding my breathe any of that will actually happen though tbh.

Unread 11-06-2019, 08:58 AM
andyroo

Perfect storm for Ole, the only players with any talent their attitude stinks. Can't offer champions league to potential signings, and wants to steer us away from the mercenary culture but our only unique selling point is wages. Don't envy him, managing Manchester United should be the dream job but it's just a £#%&!ing headache.

Unread 11-06-2019, 09:01 AM
bazrah99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Isn’t it only today that the international transfer window has opened? That’s probably why we haven’t seen anyone leave yet.

Darmian and Rojo should be gone with Bailly too if we get in a centre back.

I’m not holding my breathe any of that will actually happen though tbh.
Yes, it only opened today so hopefully things pick up pace!

It is also why James couldn't officially sign as he is registered with Wales FA.

Unread 11-06-2019, 09:04 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Perfect storm for Ole, the only players with any talent their attitude stinks. Can't offer champions league to potential signings, and wants to steer us away from the mercenary culture but our only unique selling point is wages. Don't envy him, managing Manchester United should be the dream job but it's just a £#%&!ing headache.
Then he should just come out and say it rather than going along with an approach that is driving us further into mediocrity

Unread 11-06-2019, 09:06 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Then he should just come out and say it rather than going along with an approach that is driving us further into mediocrity
Yeah. "Come and sign for us, we're a £#%&!ing mess". Great management!
Closed Thread