United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
gerrard shouldn't be playing in central midfield anyway. behind the striker or wide right as an improved version of milner should be his role.
Oh we completly agree with that

Unread 27-06-2012, 10:39 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Oh we completly agree with that

Unread 27-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky

Maybe 'On that' would have been the better turn of phrase...

Unread 27-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Olelo

Quote:
gerrard shouldn't be playing in central midfield anyway. behind the striker or wide right as an improved version of milner should be his role.
Hart

Richards Lescott Ferdinand (terry for non footballing reasons) Cole

Gerrard Carrick Scholes Young

Rooney Welbeck

All were available even Carrick if he had been picked in the initial squad.

If Scholes wasnt available push Gerrard more central and bring in Walcott.

Unread 27-06-2012, 10:49 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Great bit of the article that and it is spot on. Pirlo probably wouldn't get into the England squad/team because he doesn't get fackin' 'up and at 'em'.
The bitter irony being of course that he actually does.

Unread 27-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers

Rio is spot on there.

England in the past have produced Pirlo type players but they never make any mark on the game because most managers in this country would want them to track back and make crunching tackles on the edge of the box

Carrick surrounded by the likes of Gerrard, Parker, Milner and Oxlade Chamberlain would work much much much better than a 2 man midfield. But England always seem to persist with it, especially against the more technically gifted teams

Unread 27-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Tronics

btw forget the 'mid winter break' imo

the bigger problem is the development of technically proficient English players coming through and being given a chance.

not given the senior players more rest as if that was the reason England didn't go through :rollseyes:

i almost get the impression England want to win the Euros or World Cup at any given cost. Even if it means playing HORRIBLE football. I just think the way England have performed as of late they need to lay a marker down and win the tourno on merit, not just blood and thunder.

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:02 AM
borsuk

it's about more than just personnel though. watch england play and how static they are in possession just leaps out. you get players wide or up front making runs but they're all just runs towards goal trying to trigger the big killer pass. around the player in possession everything is static because the assumption is the ball must go forward, nobody is just making sure they're in a position to receive it short the way scholes constantly is for united. and it doesn't require any great technical or athletic ability ffs, it's something that should be ingrained in players as a matter of course.

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Tronics

i know it about more than the players but i've still yet to see and England side with the right balance.

It always seems to be a collection of the 'best' individuals for any given position, instead of the focus being on the balance of the TEAM

i think if England get that bit right we'll see a better performance from them and from there we'll be able to CLEARLY assess what their short comings are. IMO anyways.

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
it's about more than just personnel though. watch england play and how static they are in possession just leaps out. you get players wide or up front making runs but they're all just runs towards goal trying to trigger the big killer pass. around the player in possession everything is static because the assumption is the ball must go forward, nobody is just making sure they're in a position to receive it short the way scholes constantly is for united. and it doesn't require any great technical or athletic ability ffs, it's something that should be ingrained in players as a matter of course.
Spot on

Won't happen unless the FA actually do something though...

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:20 AM
rogieop

Paul merson on SSN putting his two bobs worth in now!

Apparently England stood of "prilo" too much

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:25 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogieop

During the game the commentators etc blamed this on Rooney and Welbeck.

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Welbz was the only one I remember putting any pressure on him.

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogieop

whats with everyone pronouncing it like that? its a pretty simple name to pronounce

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:35 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
They had little enough ball to work with as it was without having to completely forego finding any space to follow him all over the pitch. It was utter £#%&!ing nonsense. Tbh, dunno why Parker or Milner weren't specifically tasked with him?

Unread 27-06-2012, 11:37 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
probably why he got taken off, he was making everybody else look, er, even worse

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Tbf, Pirlo himself has said he was surprised at the lack of pressure Rooney was putting on him.

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:08 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blazini
Tbf, Pirlo himself has said he was surprised at the lack of pressure Rooney was putting on him.
Rooney didn't look fit tbh, I don't mean injured, unfit. I would've thought though given the unbelievably limited job the midfield were asked to do, one of them might've tried to do summat about him.

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Ethers

Just watching that Merson interview, is he back on the drugs?

Seriously thinks Milner should have started in centre midfield

Unread 27-06-2012, 12:10 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Rooney didn't look fit tbh, I don't mean injured, unfit. I would've thought though given the unbelievably limited job the midfield were asked to do, one of them might've tried to do summat about him.
Typical Rooney when he been out for a few weeks.
Closed Thread