United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 15-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Tumescent Throb

the very top players, the ones that see the picture, tend to let the rest of the game move around them, often by standing still themselves. they then use the ball to pick the game off when they get it.

the problem with playing this way is that there is absolutely nowhere to hide, and if it turns out that you aren't nearly good enough at picking the game off then you start to look a bit shit very quickly.

so where do you go with that? back to 9? back again to 10? drop off to try and get even more space and time 40 yards from goal?

Unread 15-08-2016, 11:41 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
the very top players, the ones that see the picture, tend to let the rest of the game move around them, often by standing still themselves. they then use the ball to pick the game off when they get it.

the problem with playing this way is that there is absolutely nowhere to hide, and if it turns out that you aren't nearly good enough at picking the game off then you start to look a bit shit very quickly.

so where do you go with that? back to 9? back again to 10? drop off to try and get even more space and time 40 yards from goal?
and run into space often away from the ball rather than towards it - Rooney goes to the ball a lot dropping off to pick up the ball not finding space.

Unread 15-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Sizlack

Felliani played really well tbf to him, broke up loads and used the ball well. We are actually going to be bloody dangerous from corners if we get him, Ibra and pogs in the team.

Unread 15-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Felliani played really well tbf to him, broke up loads and used the ball well. We are actually going to be bloody dangerous from corners if we get him, Ibra and pogs in the team.
Reckon Fellaini is the defensive mf, at least for now. MOM alongside Bailly.

Unread 15-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
More goals on opening weekend than any other player
That's the dream.

Rooney's been a shadow of his former self since 2010. Fergie knew the score. Unless the Rooney apologists think Fergie's footballing opinion isn't worth anything.

Yesterday, prior to the game, it was the first time the pundits virtually admitted he was no longer up to the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
'WE' don't, the United manager does - whether that's Van Gaal or now Mourinho.
Or Fergie?

Mourinho has picked him in one game. And he'd be stupid not to, even if his aim was to replace him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Love Rashford but I guess you're going to have to laugh in my face for one.

Rooney made himself undroppable for United and England and almost a dependancy for both by the time he was Rashfords age. He was smashing in 25-30 yarders and all sorts.
Rashford isn't as good as Rooney was at the same age. He is better than Rooney is now. Which shows how far Rooney has regressed. He peaked at 26 and has been on the slide since.

I'd love Rooney to play like he used to, but it's highly unlikely given how long it's been. People point to stats, but one thing individual stats can never show is how much Rooney slows the tempo of our attacks, even when he doesn't miscontrol the ball or give it away.

Quote:
As for talking about him in the same terms as the other 'greats' - I don't know. I only go back as far as the mid-80s watching United so I can't compare him to Charlton & co.
They're immortalised by highlights reels & the few goals that were actually caught on camera.
They were immortalised by the people who saw them play.

Quote:
Rooneys career has been played out entirely under the spotlight of modern coverage.
And he was great. As people who saw him play up to the age of 26 will no doubt attest. Same as those who saw Ronaldo play will attest that he was great. How has Rooney compared to Ronaldo this past 6 years?

Quote:
Difference being of course people just went to the games then & didn't sit around all week talking about a loose touch in the 65th minute.
They were just glad that United won the game.
Don't be silly. They did it in the pub and local radio phone ins.

Unread 15-08-2016, 05:57 PM
utd99

Quote:

seething?
Absolutely gutted when that header nestled in the corner?
Lovely stuff.

Nobody's scored more away goals in Premier League history.
More goals on opening weekend than any other player.
First player to score under 5 different United managers.

Club Legend.
Records tumbling & Ronaldo £#%&!-boys whining on here in every single thread
Sorry, maybe I should have added, "good goal" and "nice positioning" to the post. Oh, hold on....

He did well in that one moment. In other moments not so well, and in the remaining moments was fairly awful. This is not hard to understand, is it?

Why do his apologists insist on diving on every decent thing the guy does and using it to whitewash every other thing he does? No one here wants him to play badly, he just does far too often and we mention it because this is, after all, a forum.

Sorry for that.

Unread 15-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Sorry, maybe I should have added, "good goal" and "nice positioning" to the post. Oh, hold on....

He did well in that one moment. In other moments not so well, and in the remaining moments was fairly awful. This is not hard to understand, is it?

Why do his apologists insist on diving on every decent thing the guy does and using it to whitewash every other thing he does? No one here wants him to play badly, he just does far too often and we mention it because this is, after all, a forum.

Sorry for that.
The fact they need to argue the point shows he's shit. There was no need to argue the point about whether Rooney was any good or not prior to 2010. I don't see many arguments about ronaldo over the past 5 years.

Unread 18-08-2016, 09:31 AM
BobJones

Brutal

Unread 18-08-2016, 09:34 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones
He hit that back pass harder than his shot on goal in the first half

Incredible to think that performance was seen as pretty decent by the standards of Rooney's recent performances

Not a chance we win the league this season if Rooney is a regular starter

Unread 18-08-2016, 09:36 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Jesus

Unread 18-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Bunker Buster

Not a great game for the lad but he put in a shift and scored....

Sad really people posting ABU videos of our captain...I kind of want him to do well this season...

Strange.

Unread 18-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Showing the touch and technique of someone suffering a severe hangover on Hackney marshes. £300k a week.

Unread 18-08-2016, 09:41 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Sad really people posting ABU videos of our captain....
no disguising how awful he was. soz.

Unread 18-08-2016, 10:07 AM
dunk

Quote:
Wow

Unread 18-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Wow
It's the norm for his performances. Has been for a while. Don't give a £#%&! if he's a legend, you don't carry passengers.

Unread 18-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Not a great game for the lad but he put in a shift and scored....

Sad really people posting ABU videos of our captain...I kind of want him to do well this season...

Strange.
You're just wumming now. It's not an ABU video, it's a shocking montage of a player who's quite clearly past his peak. I want him to do well, I always want him to do well, but putting in a shift doesn't cut it anymore when young hungry talent is waiting for their chance.

There's nothing strange about it. He's finished at top level.

Unread 18-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
You're just wumming now. It's not an ABU video, it's a shocking montage of a player who's quite clearly past his peak. I want him to do well, I always want him to do well, but putting in a shift doesn't cut it anymore when young hungry talent is waiting for their chance.

Bookmarked....

Every single year.

Stupid

Unread 18-08-2016, 10:14 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro

Rooney got his chance at this club when he was 18 but now he's blocking the path for others to have the same opportunity

Enough is enough
This Rooney situation needs to be sorted once and for all this season or we are going nowhere as a club

Unread 18-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Bookmarked....

Every single year.

Stupid
Bookmark away and keep drinking the kool aid. I find it staggering there is a pocket of top, top lads on here who fall for it, every single year.

Unread 18-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Bookmarked....

Every single year.

Stupid

And every single year for at least the last three, he has proved how £#%&!ing stupid Moyes was to give him a contract worthy of the top four or five players in the game, never mind a player who should've been offloaded to a Turkish club three years ago. Ok as a squad player, these days but an automatic pick and captain ...