United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:03 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Surely it's about what his offers now.

He has earned the records and he's been an incredible player in an incredible era for us.

We can't pick on sentiment.

I thought he improved as the game went on today. It's easy to just pigeon hole all of his performances as shit whenever he screws up, but the reality is that he was poor in the first half today, but improved in the second. Scored a good header and looked a little more assured.

I don't think he's the long-term solution there because he just doesn't have the consitency of touch or passing anymore, but I hope he plays his way through it.

'WE' don't, the United manager does - whether that's Van Gaal or now Mourinho.

He doesn't need to be a long-term solution to anything.
If Mourinho wants him as his Captain out there on the pitch then he'll pick him.

He captained the side to 3pts today & scored a goal.
I had a few beers & watched the game.
That's it.
It requires no more analysis.

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:04 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
his longevity is a mark of his quality obviously ..& his various goal records (however trite) are again a mark of his consistency for United.

I thought those tough task-masters Van Gaal & Mourinho were gonna see right through him & bomb him out?

Every single thread on here descends into hysterical ranting & raving about Rooney.
It's tedious as £#%&!.

yeah, half the w****rs on here who rubbed one out over a picture of Ronaldo lifting a trophy this summer which he played no part in winning - almost John Terry levels of cringe.
The same #@&%!s who if they went to the match would sing songs about Stam and Keane and probably Wes Brown......

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Wart Chest

Quote:

yeah, half the w****rs on here who rubbed one out over a picture of Ronaldo lifting a trophy this summer which he played no part in winning - almost John Terry levels of cringe.
Arsenal have a stronger defence than this pile of tripe luv

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
The same #@&%!s who if they went to the match would sing songs about Stam and Keane and probably Wes Brown......
If would probably... What evs big lad

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:

If Mourinho wants him as his Captain out there on the pitch then he'll pick him.

That's it.
Largely, I agree. Criticise him in the moment, as we would anyone else, but the way each thread descends into Rooney slagging is crazy.

I don't get the hate either. He's working hard, it's just not quite there for him.

As for José picking him. There is a certain degree of obligation simply because of who he is. It's naive to think otherwise. But he has an opportunity to keep his place. To make sure that this assumption he'll be dropped soon doesn't happen. I hope he takes it.

Danny Murphy just said he was brilliant today. He wasn't. Whether it's pundits on TV or hysteria on here, there's a lack of people telling it like it is.

He did ok today. Poor first half, better second half. Scored and played his part in a very good win.

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Wart Chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Largely, I agree. Criticise him in the moment, as we would anyone else, but the way each thread descends into Rooney slagging is crazy.

I don't get the hate either. He's working hard, it's just not quite there for him.

As for José picking him. There is a certain degree of obligation simply because of who he is. It's naive to think otherwise. But he has an opportunity to keep his place. To make sure that this assumption he'll be dropped soon doesn't happen. I hope he takes it.

Danny Murphy just said he was brilliant today. He wasn't. Whether it's pundits on TV or hysteria on here, there's a lack of people telling it like it is.

He did ok today. Poor first half, better second half. Scored and played his part in a very good win.
Murphy feeding the sheeple there, you say Rooney was ok today.. So a 6-7 out of ten? Was a time when Rooney himself said Utd lacked ambition, so where does a 6-7 out of ten star player fit in now then?

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:28 PM
redhegemony

couple of good saves from Dave in that frantic bit at the end..

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:29 PM
Stone Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart Chest
Is there anyone keeping track of his lost possession, missed placed passes or clear cut chances totally £#%&!ed up stats?
Focus on the negatives. :roll eyes: That's proactive Pal.

Effective.

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Wart Chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Monkey
Focus on the negatives. :roll eyes: That's proactive Pal.

Effective.
Pretending they don't exist is even more effective eh ? Forget rolling your eyes roll a joint you loon

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:42 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
couple of good saves from Dave in that frantic bit at the end..
Loved the backwards starfish. Lad's just taking the piss now.

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart Chest
Murphy feeding the sheeple there, you say Rooney was ok today.. So a 6-7 out of ten? Was a time when Rooney himself said Utd lacked ambition, so where does a 6-7 out of ten star player fit in now then?
Quite a few others were 6 out of ten aswell. The point is, review the performance in front of you. It was fine. He contributed to a good win.

Whether he continues to do that remains to be seen. I find people pointing to his previous record and people awaiting an apparently inevitable demotion from the 11 equally pointless.

Unread 14-08-2016, 11:56 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

That's it.
it's fair to say that rooney's longevity at united is as a direct result of ferguson retiring after winning the title yet again - in a season where rooney was united's 3rd top scorer and was regularly dropped for playing shite.

rooney did score a goal today and he did do ok some of the times the ball came to him. we were playing bournemouth though and they were £#%&!ing gash.

rooney has nothing to prove. we all know he's never getting any better. we all know he's a top class finisher. we all know he gets into far less goal-scoring positions these days. we all know he is virtually no threat in behind. we all know he can barely make himself a yard to get a long shot in these days because he's too slow and/or his touch is shit. we all know he whines about the position he's asked to play as an excuse for why his form is so patchy wherever he plays. and we all enjoy the od spark of his old magic whenever it makes a fleeting appearance in the odd move here and there, or even the occasional 20 minute spell. he needs one touch finishes. he needs supply. i never thought it would be him asked to run past zlatan. gonna be interesting when pogba is chomping at the bit to get forward but has rooney and/or zlatan in the way...

so yes, there is a conversation to be had about it if you care about united. rashford didn't even get on the pitch. again. he's young. he's older than rooney was when he was playing all the time though. and he's got at least as much talent imo and i'd laugh in the face of anyone who says different.

i dare say some will bum rooney for his records but frankly unless you're a child why would you care about a multi-millionaire who points to the sky like his hero stevie me every time he scores?

just out of interest, when rooney inevitably goes past charlton's scoring record does that mean you'll start talking about him in the same terms? he wouldn't get near an all time united XI imo. there's be far too many better strikers, despite the stats.

Unread 15-08-2016, 03:41 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

so yes, there is a conversation to be had about it if you care about united. rashford didn't even get on the pitch. again. he's young. he's older than rooney was when he was playing all the time though. and he's got at least as much talent imo and i'd laugh in the face of anyone who says different.
Love Rashford but I guess you're going to have to laugh in my face for one.

Rooney made himself undroppable for United and England and almost a dependancy for both by the time he was Rashfords age. He was smashing in 25-30 yarders and all sorts.

Unread 15-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Red Al

Going back to the match.

It was a good win against what can be tricky opponents as most have said before.
Last season we would have only been 1-0 up(after loads of pointless possession)when bournmouth scored and the game would have finished 1-1 or 2-1 to them because the equaliser would have give them momentum.

Unread 15-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Love Rashford but I guess you're going to have to laugh in my face for one.

Rooney made himself undroppable for United and England and almost a dependancy for both by the time he was Rashfords age. He was smashing in 25-30 yarders and all sorts.
rooney got 8 in 37 apps in his 1st season.
rashford got 8 in 18 appearances in his 1st season - he saved united's season, helped us win the cup, scored some spectacular goals and made himself undroppable.

by december of his 2nd season rooney had scored just 1 goal. he ended the season being england's best player in the euros as they got knocked out by portugal in the quarters.

if hodgson had played rashford in france 2016 england would have done a lot better and he might have shone just as rooney did in 2004.

the buzz around rooney coming to united was immense. the buzz around rashford last season was the same - he was incredible.

Unread 15-08-2016, 11:03 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

i dare say some will bum rooney for his records but frankly unless you're a child why would you care about a multi-millionaire who points to the sky like his hero stevie me every time he scores?

just out of interest, when rooney inevitably goes past charlton's scoring record does that mean you'll start talking about him in the same terms? he wouldn't get near an all time united XI imo. there's be far too many better strikers, despite the stats.

well as usual you've added as many caveats to your point as possible.

So if/when Rooney becomes the top scorer in the history of Manchester United he still doesn't deserve the accolades because they're merely 'stats' & he still wouldn't be considered a great because there have been so many better strikers than him who haven't scored as many goals.

As for talking about him in the same terms as the other 'greats' - I don't know. I only go back as far as the mid-80s watching United so I can't compare him to Charlton & co.
They're immortalised by highlights reels & the few goals that were actually caught on camera.
Rooneys career has been played out entirely under the spotlight of modern coverage.
I dare say a lot of our greats declined in overall standards, lost a yard of pace etc..
Difference being of course people just went to the games then & didn't sit around all week talking about a loose touch in the 65th minute.
They were just glad that United won the game.

My views on Rashford are the same as they were when he burst onto the scene last year. I think he's the best footballer we've brought through in years.
I hope he has as good a career in the game as Rooney.

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't pick the side so I'm not quite sure why people get angry with me, bunks,bellers etc ...

I think this will be his last season at the Club. I expect he'll break the record at some point & I think Mourinho will select/drop/rest him whenever he sees fit.

Not sure why people get so het up about it to be honest

Unread 15-08-2016, 11:22 AM
dunk

Rooney pisses me off because he should be at his pomp, and he is miles away from it because he hasn't looked after himself. Look at Giggs, Ronaldo, Zlat to name but 3, all started in the game as teenagers, all playing to a high standard into their 30's because they looked after themselves and constantly striven to improve. Rooney seemed to get to 23 and say 'this'll do' maintained it for 2-3 years (and was superb) and then dropped off a cliff. Now he's holding the side back from evolving due to his ridiculous contract and memories of his abilities.

Reminds me of an ageing, injury ravaged Shearer for England and Newcastle, Gerrard at Liverpool etc. gets a place due to his status when the club should be moving on.

Unread 15-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
well as usual you've added as many caveats to your point as possible.

So if/when Rooney becomes the top scorer in the history of Manchester United he still doesn't deserve the accolades because they're merely 'stats' & he still wouldn't be considered a great because there have been so many better strikers than him who haven't scored as many goals.

As for talking about him in the same terms as the other 'greats' - I don't know. I only go back as far as the mid-80s watching United so I can't compare him to Charlton & co.
They're immortalised by highlights reels & the few goals that were actually caught on camera.
Rooneys career has been played out entirely under the spotlight of modern coverage.
I dare say a lot of our greats declined in overall standards, lost a yard of pace etc..
Difference being of course people just went to the games then & didn't sit around all week talking about a loose touch in the 65th minute.
They were just glad that United won the game.

My views on Rashford are the same as they were when he burst onto the scene last year. I think he's the best footballer we've brought through in years.
I hope he has as good a career in the game as Rooney.

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't pick the side so I'm not quite sure why people get angry with me, bunks,bellers etc ...

I think this will be his last season at the Club. I expect he'll break the record at some point & I think Mourinho will select/drop/rest him whenever he sees fit.

Not sure why people get so het up about it to be honest
they weren't meant to be caveats mj. i was giving my opinion and asking for yours in as few words as possible. i still used quite a lot

the entire context of my point here is that it's a long long time since united brought a striker through the ranks to shine in the 1st team. we have finally got a top class prospect on our hands. and the manager looks very much to be building the side around a pair of strikers in their 30s instead.

it will be a travesty if rashford is expected to earn his place by coming off the bench now and again and doing the business immediately, only to be sat back down for a month if he doesn't score. and we also have lingard and tony martial.

it comes down to how highly you rate the veteran player tbf and happy to admit there's a big difference in my attitude to rooney (and zlatan) compared to my attitude when giggs (and scholes) were still getting picked on merit - giggs was still one of the best players in the league when he was 39 ffs, so good that he adjusted his position and was still the best player on the pitch. i just don't see that with rooney.

Unread 15-08-2016, 11:27 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Rooney pisses me off because he should be at his pomp, and he is miles away from it because he hasn't looked after himself. Look at Giggs, Ronaldo, Zlat to name but 3, all started in the game as teenagers, all playing to a high standard into their 30's because they looked after themselves and constantly striven to improve. Rooney seemed to get to 23 and say 'this'll do' maintained it for 2-3 years (and was superb) and then dropped off a cliff. Now he's holding the side back from evolving due to his ridiculous contract and memories of his abilities.

Reminds me of an ageing, injury ravaged Shearer for England and Newcastle, Gerrard at Liverpool etc. gets a place due to his status when the club should be moving on.
to be fair to rooney, it was said when he signed that he would be a slow, fat @#%&! by now (and wouldn't improve as a player). he's done ok given his natural disadvantages. squad player now, though.

Unread 15-08-2016, 11:27 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

I am not sure that is true or fair. He has always relied on physical power and at 16 he had the physique of a much older man. There are only so many miles in that particular tank - the other players are much more athletic in build and more skilful that allows them to adjust and develop.

I think he's just worn out having started so young.

Unread 15-08-2016, 11:37 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
I am not sure that is true or fair. He has always relied on physical power and at 16 he had the physique of a much older man. There are only so many miles in that particular tank - the other players are much more athletic in build and more skilful that allows them to adjust and develop.

I think he's just worn out having started so young.
Probably a bit of that. He's had a few bad injuries in comparison to the other 3, in particular that ankle injury in 2010 and rushing back from it, rushing back from metatarsals etc.

Still don't think he's done himself any favours.