United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 02-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default Re: *Official* United v Villa Match Thread - Teams, Links and We owe this lot a thrashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Was it 2002 when he missed the open goal at the stretty against Arsenal in the Cup?

and 2003 when he scored the goal at Juve?

He had an 'indifferent' time around then IIRC, got more abuse and criticism than he deserved though, although, 18 months or whatever it was, without scoring at OT was pretty bad.
he missed that sitter and everyone jumped on his back and said there you go told you he was £#%&!ed blah blah blah. a week later he took juventus apart.

Unread 02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Harri Jaffa

Default Re: *Official* United v Villa Match Thread - Teams, Links and We owe this lot a thrashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
well whatever, certainly it's true that a lot of people used to slag giggs off in the stands. one of my mates who I sometimes end up next to dotted around the ground still still slates him now - he just kind of got into the habit he reckons.

giggs is and always has been a thrilling player to watch. he has continued to improve, that much is clear.
People do just get Bug Bears about certain players and I definitly had one about Giggs for a while.

Anyone want to defend Gibson's current performances?

Unread 02-02-2011, 05:23 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Was it 2002 when he missed the open goal at the stretty against Arsenal in the Cup?

and 2003 when he scored the goal at Juve?

He had an 'indifferent' time around then IIRC, got more abuse and criticism than he deserved though, although, 18 months or whatever it was, without scoring at OT was pretty bad.
Quote:
he missed that sitter and everyone jumped on his back and said there you go told you he was £#%&!ed blah blah blah. a week later he took juventus apart.
Seem to recall he got booed off vs Blackburn in the league cup before the virtuoso performance in Turin.

Edit: Just checked, this was indeed Jan/Feb 2003.

Unread 02-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

ggrrrrrrrrr

Unread 02-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Zorg

Quote:
no. the point is that the idea that giggs is somehow the most improved player in the league over the past 3 years is laughable. nothing more. i'll harri jaffa this thread now.
Did someone say that? If they did, I agree that's a bit daft.

One thing I always disagreed with was him having been booed off - it was completely exaggerated by the ABU press who were loving it.

These things get blown out of all proportion and eventually settle to the bottom as fact, like that 5-goal penalty against Spurs and 'United fans wanted Fergie out in 1995' (an MEN phone poll, I wonder if any city fans voted ).

Unread 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
ggrrrrrrrrr
No, I meant you were right....well we both were. All incidents referred to occured within a few weeks of each other.

Unread 02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
No, I meant you were right....well we both were. All incidents referred to occured within a few weeks of each other.
wasn't reacting to your post, just expressing my feelings on the subject

there's nothing worse than sitting next to some @#%&! slagging a player off constantly even when you agree with half of it

sitting next to someone taking up more than one chair is close though

Unread 02-02-2011, 07:56 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs up Re: *Official* United v Villa Match Thread - Teams, Links and We owe this lot a thrashing

Giggs was fantastic last night

don't know how he keeps doing it ...but I hope he keeps doing it

three games in a week as well

good to see Rooney back among the goals, all round great display on this form we will batter the Taches next Saturday