United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-08-2022, 10:11 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
Varane is comfortable on the ball. Won the World Cup as Frances ball playing centre back next to Umtiti. Won 4 European Cups. Benched
Then as soon as he puts on a red shirt he turns into a complete flake.

Unread 07-08-2022, 10:12 PM
goonlooca

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Then as soon as he puts on a red shirt he turns into a complete flake.
We are cursed

Unread 07-08-2022, 10:36 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Exactly. And I’m not saying he should be converted to a cm .. but the longer this McFred pain goes on that will be the call. Absolutely preposterous signing given the teams needs and to make it worse he’s minute. Either we go 5 at Back (which clearly wasn’t the plan) or we disintegrate further from here barring major signings

Varane is comfortable on the ball. Won the World Cup as Frances ball playing centre back next to Umtiti. Won 4 European Cups. Benched
Fully expect Varane to be in the team eventually*

*provided he’s fit.

Unread 08-08-2022, 04:31 AM
shenwen

Brighton targeted him from ko. Long high balls in his direction. Others will do the same. Still think he'll be more than fine. One of the positives from yesterday for me.

Unread 08-08-2022, 08:20 AM
Joe Biden

He may well be fine in the long run but to say he was a positive yesterday is a bit of a stretch. Was the first time I've ever felt sorry for Maguire.

Unread 08-08-2022, 08:25 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
He may well be fine in the long run but to say he was a positive yesterday is a bit of a stretch. Was the first time I've ever felt sorry for Maguire.
Having a defender who - aside from a few first game mistakes - looks calm, comfortable on the ball and showed a good passing range. That’s a positive for me.

Unread 08-08-2022, 08:57 AM
Stickman

well, it certainly looks odd.

Unread 08-08-2022, 08:58 AM
dunk

Quote:
Paul Scholes has 13 PL league medals, they don’t pick him because he can’t run any more either.

Unread 08-08-2022, 09:01 AM
Dr Stranger

Wouldn’t go so far as a ‘positive’ as he has some seriously difficult moments, but most stemmed from a typical baptism of fire for a CB in the Premier League.

You could see his qualities and his quality on the ball will make a big difference to us. My concern is that the partnership with Maguire will be given time to settle and Maguire’s continued inadequacy will be excused as teething problems for a new pairing.

Unread 08-08-2022, 09:21 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Having a defender who - aside from a few first game mistakes - looks calm, comfortable on the ball and showed a good passing range. That’s a positive for me.
Bang on. Some of our best defenders in past eras had initial shockers; if anything you half expect it from defenders. That he made the mistakes and still looked decent at the end of it says a lot about his quality (and Maguire's lack thereof)

Unread 08-08-2022, 09:25 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Bang on. Some of our best defenders in past eras had initial shockers; if anything you half expect it from defenders. That he made the mistakes and still looked decent at the end of it says a lot about his quality (and Maguire's lack thereof)
Jaap Stam had a shocker of a debut. Vidic looked ropey too for a while. As you say, you almost expect it. Didn’t see anything yesterday that worried me beyond typical teething problems. Reminded me a bit of Varane debut last year. Baptism of fire at Wolves because of the shit show in front of him.

Unread 08-08-2022, 12:34 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Paul Scholes has 13 PL league medals, they don’t pick him because he can’t run any more either.

Unread 08-08-2022, 12:36 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Giggs has 13?

I knew somebody did.

Unread 08-08-2022, 12:40 PM
atticusgrinch

Evra said it took him 6 months to acclimatise to the PL.

Saw enough to be happy. His YouTube videos show him doing them shoulder barges a lot though... He'll need to watch that. Carragher was phlegming like mad for a penalty yesterday.

He's at man united now. Different rules apply.

Unread 08-08-2022, 12:44 PM
AK14

Quote:
Evra said it took him 6 months to acclimatise to the PL.

Saw enough to be happy. His YouTube videos show him doing them shoulder barges a lot though... He'll need to watch that. Carragher was phlegming like mad for a penalty yesterday.

He really was

Hate the @#%&! so much.

Unread 08-08-2022, 12:46 PM
Dasilvatwins

Don’t think he was as bad as made out. Actually thought he had a decent game and will only get better. ESP when he has the other three shit@#%&!s in defence next to him , two shit@#%&!s ahead of him and a shit@#%&!s behind him.

Might be worth trying him at CM as one of the 6s who can win the ball but also make the quick pass forward .

Unread 08-08-2022, 12:51 PM
dunk

Quote:
How true.

That handball on the edge of the area second half by the Brighton fella, they’d have been screaming blue murder had that been at the other end.

Unread 08-08-2022, 10:39 PM
Whalefish

Better debut than Vidic and Evra, and looks to be alright on the ball.

It's a pity Varane is made from glass and will have to be managed because Maguire is woeful.

Mind you, there's an urgent need for a half decent right back.

Unread 08-08-2022, 11:46 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Better debut than Vidic and Evra, and looks to be alright on the ball.

It's a pity Varane is made from glass and will have to be managed because Maguire is woeful.

Mind you, there's an urgent need for a half decent right back.
Varane has to come into the side immediately imo, and frankly Lindelof has a better case for being first reserve than Maguire. I can only hope we go after a right-back in January since we're not getting one now.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:09 AM
AK14

Closed Thread