United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 13-12-2023, 01:57 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik JaBooty
It would be far easier to back ten Hag if the players he brought in were the shining lights amid a sea of dregs, but they're not. If anything his buys have made us worse.
the permanent signings have more or less all been disappointing (I don't judge him for the loan signings. Always a feeling that they are bare necesseties than actual wants.)

I don't want ETH gone though because he's not the main issue imo. Regardless of who we get in, it's a poisoned chalice.

The way we've gone about player signings since the glazers has largely been £#%&!ing amateurish and not fitting for the clubs stature. Even in the fergie days they were extremely hit and miss because we were bargain hunting a lot of the time.

If you laid out every transfer since 05, 80% (at least) of them would be classed as poor. Completely unacceptable.

Unread 13-12-2023, 03:28 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik JaBooty
It would be far easier to back ten Hag if the players he brought in were the shining lights amid a sea of dregs, but they're not. If anything his buys have made us worse.
Martinez, varane, Casemiro and Erikssen were funsamental to our sucess last year.

Imagine ending up with a back four of AWB, Evans, Varane and Dalot

Unread 13-12-2023, 03:50 PM
Sheik JaBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Martinez, varane, Casemiro and Erikssen were funsamental to our sucess last year.
This is true, though Varane was already here.

What's also true is that he's bought two forwards who don't score, promoted two more who don't score, and has four others who are either ostracized, going through the worst form of their careers or should have been shipped years ago. We should be in better shape by now.

He's also managed to downgrade on a goalkeeper we all knew wasn't good enough, who then proceeded to chuck us out of the Champions League.

He isn't helping himself or his supporters.

Unread 13-12-2023, 07:19 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
the permanent signings have more or less all been disappointing (I don't judge him for the loan signings. Always a feeling that they are bare necesseties than actual wants.)

I don't want ETH gone though because he's not the main issue imo. Regardless of who we get in, it's a poisoned chalice.

The way we've gone about player signings since the glazers has largely been £#%&!ing amateurish and not fitting for the clubs stature. Even in the fergie days they were extremely hit and miss because we were bargain hunting a lot of the time.

If you laid out every transfer since 05, 80% (at least) of them would be classed as poor. Completely unacceptable.
I can quote a post from you for every single signing since 2006 that says they were great signings.

Unread 13-12-2023, 07:26 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I can quote a post from you for every single signing since 2006 that says they were great signings.
I'll £#%&!ing bet you can..

Unread 13-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
That's not really fair as the success of a signing largely depends on the environment they come into. A well coached team whether city, Liverpool or Brighton get players to levels way beyond what would otherwise be possible and we are the inverse. If we'd have signed every player Liverpool signed under Klopp and they'd have signed what we signed they'd still be ahead of us.

Unread 13-12-2023, 07:44 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
What's your point? Because I'm positive about signings that makes me what, wrong?

Sorry for getting behind new players. Doesn't make the point wrong you sad sack

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I'll £#%&!ing bet you can..

Unread 13-12-2023, 11:24 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
That's not really fair as the success of a signing largely depends on the environment they come into. A well coached team whether city, Liverpool or Brighton get players to levels way beyond what would otherwise be possible and we are the inverse. If we'd have signed every player Liverpool signed under Klopp and they'd have signed what we signed they'd still be ahead of us.
That reads like a pop at Ten Haag? and his predecessors.

Unread 14-12-2023, 12:01 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
That reads like a pop at Ten Haag? and his predecessors.
Not specifically no. Multiple managers and those above the manager have a responsibility to create a positive environment at the club which includes players and staff being motivated and improving. Clearly that hasn't happened, it's hard to pinpoint exactly why but I think it's more complicated than just blaming a manager or the Glazers.

Unread 14-12-2023, 12:31 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Not specifically no. Multiple managers and those above the manager have a responsibility to create a positive environment at the club which includes players and staff being motivated and improving. Clearly that hasn't happened, it's hard to pinpoint exactly why but I think it's more complicated than just blaming a manager or the Glazers.
I really think it does come from the top, though.

Our owners have made it clear that not winning anything is acceptable as long as their dividends keep rolling in.

Unread 14-12-2023, 12:22 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
It certainly is more complicated and nuanced, but if we aren’t blaming the manager(s) or the Glazers we are running out of options!

Some alternatives its probably worth considering:

Gary Neville
The Conservatives
Joey Barton
Rachel Riley
Piers Moron
Trump
Marlo

(I realise you are probably saying it’s a combination of both BTW, which I disagree with, but fair enough, if not then please add to the list)