United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i've seen something similar about a thousand times before from Scholes

anyway, the point i was making has not to do with the technique used to get the ball there, it was that it was not a "killer ball" of the defence-splitting visionary genius type - or even of the slide-rule simple but expertly weighted type - but rather it was a routine pass back out to the corner taker, the classic 'out ball' in that situation

basically the writer was overstating the quality needed for United's goal. yes the players are of the highest calibre, we know that.

did you see Carrick's "killer ball" for Berbatov's winner against Spurs in the Cup btw
I don't really disagree in that case - the two goals highlight very different types of brilliance. In Scholes' case it was technical ability. You don't see many players "driving" 40-yard balls along the deck, especially first-time, because they just can't do it with consistent accuracy.

Carrick's for Berbie was brilliant too, but different - it was brilliant from the standpoint of vision, but technically it was just a little chipped/lofted pass. Any player could do it, but few would have thought to do it.

Unread 09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up

Winter is a @#%&!, of course
Closed Thread