United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Spiffy

They said in the telly he was 75 mins away from the British record. If Woods claims clean sheets in all competitions then shouldn't we? I must be missing something here because Woods seems to have a fair point. You can bet your life if we held the record and a Liverpool keeper was getting close, we'd be using the same calculations Woods is. We should drop VDS against any team away from home and anyone in the top half. Make sure he gets the record.

Unread 06-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
They said in the telly he was 75 mins away from the British record. If Woods claims clean sheets in all competitions then shouldn't we? I must be missing something here because Woods seems to have a fair point. You can bet your life if we held the record and a Liverpool keeper was getting close, we'd be using the same calculations Woods is. We should drop VDS against any team away from home and anyone in the top half. Make sure he gets the record.
definitely. the record > winning trophies.

Unread 06-02-2009, 04:45 PM
carlosartorial

It was actually 13 as there were a couple of games vs Bayern* in Europe in between.

Thing is, even if VDS did carry it on for another 4 games, you can bet that Woods would only attempt to counter that with 'well my record was set in consecutive games whereas when Ben Foster deputised they conceded'.

Basically, £#%&! Chris Woods. Edwin has already broken the record.

*edit: Moenchengladbach actually, see below...

Unread 06-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
definitely. the record > winning trophies.

I'm not sure I said that. Are you suggesting our reserve keepers can' "do a job"?

Unread 06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
They said in the telly he was 75 mins away from the British record.
Have you not read the thread?

Once again...

VDS record had been set in consecutive league games.

Woods record included cup games.

VDS is not 75 mins away from any 'British record'.

Unread 06-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
I'm not sure I said that. Are you suggesting our reserve keepers can' "do a job"?
no, i think the opposite. i don't have much confidence in any of our keepers yet, aside from vds.

you wrote: "We should drop VDS against any team away from home and anyone in the top half. Make sure he gets the record."

and i disagreed.

Unread 06-02-2009, 04:51 PM
carlosartorial

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-21079899/

Edwin van der Saar still has long way to go to beat my shutout record, says Rangers legend Chris Woods
Jan 29 2009 By Gary Ralston

CHRIS WOODS will take his seat at Old Trafford this weekend safe in the knowledge Edwin van der Sar is nowhere near his British shutout record.

The former Rangers keeper has told the experts they've got it all wrong when they suggest the Manchester United star can write his name in the history books in the next two matches.

In Tuesday night's game against West Brom, van der Sar set a new Premiership record of 1032 minutes without conceding a goal, overtaking the previous best of 1025 minutes held by Peter Cech at Chelsea in season 2004-2005.

It has now been claimed van der Sar is closing in on Woods' total of 1196 minutes, set over 14 games between November 1986 and January 1987.

Coincidentally, Everton keeper coach Woods will be with the Goodison club at United on Saturday, 22 years to the day Adrian Sprott netted the only goal for Hamilton Accies in the Scottish Cup at Ibrox to bring his glory run to an end.

However, Woods is adamant his record is in no danger because his achievement was set over consecutive matches, while van der Sar was rested in recent games when replacement Ben Foster lost goals to Derby and Spurs in the Carling and FA Cups.

Woods said: "My record still means a lot to me and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will stand for a good few years yet. However, my shutouts came in consecutive matches - Manchester United conceded a couple of goals against Derby a fortnight ago, for example.

"Obviously, Edwin has set a Premiership record but in terms of a British record for shutouts in consecutive games played by his team he's not close yet."

Woods kick-started his run after conceding a goal in a 1-1 draw in the UEFA Cup third round, first-leg tie against Borussia Moenchengladbach at Ibrox on November 26.

On and on he went, through the return leg in Germany and a Premier League fixture list that included games against the likes of Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United.

Woods added: "I mentioned something about the run to Walter Smith after six or seven games and he told me not to think about it.

"He promised to let me know if I was anywhere near a record and after another couple of matches he told me I wasn't even close. Soon afterwards people started to talk about it and I knew the target to aim for.

"If anyone says to me even now, 'Okay, but you set the record in Scotland', I remind them the run included European and Old Firm matches.

"Ultimately, anyone can score against anyone else - just look at those shocks every season in the FA Cup. It was a terrific achievement, not only for myself but for defenders such as Terry Butcher, Stuart Munro, Graham Roberts, Dave McPherson and Jimmy Nicholl.

"The fact the record has stood so long has been great and quite a surprise, to be honest, and I guess throughout it all one of the keys was concentration.

"There were a couple of games in which I didn't have an awful lot to do but if that's the case and you lose a goal people can think you a bad keeper.

"It was a terrific learning experience and helped me a lot when it came to playing international football with England because there were times I didn't have a lot to do there."

The name of Accies full-back Sprott still sends a shudder down the back of most Rangers fans and Woods can still recall the moment his record was set at 1196 minutes.

He said: "I was thrilled to beat the record in the first half of the cup game against Hamilton and wanted it to go on for as long as possible.

"But in the second half a ball was played across the edge of the area, bobbled under big Dave McPherson's foot and Adrian hit a low shot to my right-hand side and into the net.

"It was a game that started on a high note when I set the record and finished on a low one when we were knocked out the Cup but I'm really glad the shutout run still stands."

Unread 06-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Ether

What an absolute #@&%!

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Have you not read the thread?

Once again...

VDS record had been set in consecutive league games.

Woods record included cup games.

VDS is not 75 mins away from any 'British record'.
Ah, that makes sense.

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

okay so Woods has the record for most consecutive minutes without conceding a goal and without missing a game

but whose record did he beat?

who has the English equivalent?

and who is the world record holder?

presumably these people must know, right?

and while you're at it, what are the club records regardless of personnel?

take your time, i can wait...

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Grimson

1. Steve Death
2. Steve Death
3. Abel Renso, Atletico Madrid

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
1. Steve Death
2. Steve Death
death's were consecutive?

and in all comps?

i think not

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:12 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Resino actually.

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
death's were consecutive?

and in all comps?

i think not
Why not?

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Why not?
well...

was death already out of all cup competitions?

or does death's record beaten by VDS not include those cup games?

i really don't need to know, or at least i didn't...

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Grimson

Death's were consecutive. There were all league games, but were not interrupted by Cup games, so it hardly detracts from his record to say they were not in all competitions. It was Reading, after all. They had no other competitions.

"There were 11 games remaining and not only did Reading not lose any of these, Death went the entire run without conceding a goal.

Grimsby, Port Vale, Crewe, Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Aldershot, Hartlepool, Darlington, Halifax, Wimbledon and Port Vale again all failed to find a way past the Reading keeper and not only had the club won promotion but their goalkeeper had set a new Football League record for number of minutes without conceding a goal."

From Football-England.com

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:23 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down

Chris Woods ''record' does not count, it was 'achieved' in Scottish football where I'd have backed Douglas Baader and or Heather Mills to keep 14 clean sheets in a row

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

that's all well and good grimey, and clears up the cup angle as far as death goes

but the piece calls it a Football League record, not a consecutive games/minutes record

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
that's all well and good grimey, and clears up the cup angle as far as death goes

but the piece calls it a Football League record, not a consecutive games/minutes record

I don't get the difference. Was it not both? They just chose to say 11 games. They could have said 1,107 minutes (the extra 27 minutes come from the game in which he was finally beaten).

Unread 06-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Tumescent Throb

basically woods broke the record during his 14th game or something

VDS broke the record during his 12th

so what lies between?
Closed Thread