United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-09-2008, 05:40 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Typical scouse @#%&!s. They're £#%&!ing awful and it pisses me off thinking about last week.
Exactly.

We could and should have battered them.

Unread 20-09-2008, 05:41 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
20 million quid.

the taste of being wrong on that one is absolutely delectable

Unread 20-09-2008, 05:57 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the taste of being wrong on that one is absolutely delectable
All the media building it up as the partnership of the century

Unread 20-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Stretlow

Anyone got a link this disallowed goal they're all going nuts about?

Unread 20-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

in theory Keane will improve Liverpool becauise of exactly the qualities mentioned already

but in practice they will remain hamstrung by Benitez' bizarre tactical dogma

why the £#%&! does a top class coach at a huge club like the vermin with their multi-million pound team need to spend the best part of every 90 minutes waving his £#%&!ing arms around on the touchline saying now you go here, now you do this etc?

United's players switch positions, switch the play, switch the tempo and switch the lights off for the opposition with absolute minimum fuss from the touchline

that's what training top class players is for you horrible fat shortarse smug gobshite @#%&!

Unread 20-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretlow
Anyone got a link this disallowed goal they're all going nuts about?
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1580846/

101 goals have all the links within half an hour of the game finishing. They have most goals within 10 minutes of them being scored.

Unread 20-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Stretlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scousebasher
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1580846/

101 goals have all the links within half an hour of the game finishing. They have most goals within 10 minutes of them being scored.

Good Man

Harsh that...... oh well !!!

Unread 20-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Pop

Typical of those murdering bastards. After last week I predicted a loss for those @#%&!s against Stoke.

Close enough I suppose.

Unread 20-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
in theory Keane will improve Liverpool because of exactly the qualities mentioned already
Thing thing is, when I watched Keane and Berbatov play together for Spurs, it was typically Keane who was the one making runs behind the defence and trying to break the offside trap, while Berbatov played more as the split striker - dropping back to influence the match, flicking the ball on for Keane or controlling it and bringing others into play when it was passed deep, and playing a lot of creative passes. The two interchanged their roles a fair bit during a match, but generally speaking I think this was the most common pattern of play.

So Keane's role at Spurs was actually somewhat similar to what Torres does at Liverpool, meaning that he really wasn't particularly creative. This is reflected in the stats too. We can see that over the past two seasons, Berbatov touched the ball an average of 16% more times per match than Keane (this was even more pronounced last season), that he contributed double the number of assists per match, and that his goal rate was 24% lower.

Yet Benitez seems to have bought him on the basis that he's going to be his new split striker/winger type. Keane is obviously a more imaginative player than someone like Kuijt, and he fits the Benitez profile as far as work rate, but he's never struck me as hugely creative, so to me it's a bit of a strange signing for such a large amount of money. Although you have to think that he'll start scoring again eventually, even if it's at a lower rate than what he managed at Spurs in a more advanced role.

Unread 20-09-2008, 07:07 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Thing thing is, when I watched Keane and Berbatov play together for Spurs, it was typically Keane who was the one making runs behind the defence and trying to break the offside trap, while Berbatov played more as the split striker - dropping back to influence the match, flicking the ball on for Keane or controlling it and bringing others into play when it was passed deep, and playing a lot of creative passes. The two interchanged their roles a fair bit during a match, but generally speaking I think this was the most common pattern of play.

So Keane's role at Spurs was actually somewhat similar to what Torres does at Liverpool, meaning that he really wasn't particularly creative. This is reflected in the stats too. We can see that over the past two seasons, Berbatov touched the ball an average of 16% more times per match than Keane (this was even more pronounced last season), that he contributed double the number of assists per match, and that his goal rate was 24% lower.

Yet Benitez seems to have bought him on the basis that he's going to be his new split striker/winger type. Keane is obviously a more imaginative player than someone like Kuijt, and he fits the Benitez profile as far as work rate, but he's never struck me as hugely creative, so to me it's a bit of a strange signing for such a large amount of money. Although you have to think that he'll start scoring again eventually, even if it's at a lower rate than what he managed at Spurs in a more advanced role.
Sounds like both us and Liverpool have bought the wrong strikers for the required role based on their positional play for Spurs. I don't think so though because Berbatov is definitely capable of leading the line.

Unread 20-09-2008, 07:37 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Sounds like both us and Liverpool have bought the wrong strikers for the required role based on their positional play for Spurs. I don't think so though because Berbatov is definitely capable of leading the line.
Well it shows you that Berbatov is even more of a goalscorer if he was able to drop deep, get assists and score virtually the same amount of goals than keane.

Unread 20-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Tumescent Throb

i don't doubt your research for a moment serenity, but i still tend to think Keane could bring a little bit of imagination and surprise to the vermin attack - were he not to be inevitably hamstrung by Benitez' bizarre tactical dogma, by which i mean his apparent reluctance to allow (or indeed enable) his team to play off the cuff a lot more than they do. Surely to £#%&! Gerrard & co should be capable of reading where the opposition's weaknesses are and know how to exploit them without all that constant arm-waving and pointing from the idiot on the sidelines?

Unread 20-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
I don't think Rafa would ever buy a player like Berbatov, to be honest. The basic requirement for a Benitez player is to work like a dog. His fundamental belief has always been that you can compensate for a relative lack of technical quality, both individually and as a team, with the number of metres that you run. Obviously if you have the quality and the work rate, then that's the ultimate, but this kind of player isn't so easy to find.

Unread 20-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
i don't doubt your research for a moment serenity, but i still tend to think Keane could bring a little bit of imagination and surprise to the vermin attack - were he not to be inevitably hamstrung by Benitez' bizarre tactical dogma, by which i mean his apparent reluctance to allow (or indeed enable) his team to play off the cuff a lot more than they do. Surely to £#%&! Gerrard & co should be capable of reading where the opposition's weaknesses are and know how to exploit them without all that constant arm-waving and pointing from the idiot on the sidelines?
I agree really. A lot of the dippers fans seem to be waiting for Liverpool to start playing wonderful, fluid attacking football, supposedly based on what Benitez did at Valencia. The reality is that his Valencia team generally played the same kind of control oriented, defensively solid, counter-attacking football that Liverpool do and that they often struggled to break down defensive teams - something there are a lot more of in England than in Spain - just as Liverpool do. This was especially true when Pablito Aimar - the one player who could provide that X factor to break down a packed defence - was missing or off his game.

As much as he achieved in Spain, I don't think his Valencia sides would have been capable of winning the league in England in recent years. They really only had the success they did because Barca and Madrid were both going through slightly iffy phases at the time (though you obviously have to credit Benitez for being able to capitalise on this). In fact, I suspect that if you transplanted them to England they would have ended up in pretty much the same kind of situation as Liverpool.

Unread 20-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default now i only got a link to the 1st half at the home of the former league leaders

but i don't recognise it from this line in the BBC website match report:

Quote:
Despite their early setback, Liverpool created a host of chances, but were continually thwarted by a spirited defensive display from their newly promoted opponents.
Liverpool didn't create a single chance.

Presumably they were superb in the second half?

Unread 20-09-2008, 08:46 PM
wiganste

Quote:
but i don't recognise it from this line in the BBC website match report:

Liverpool didn't create a single chance

Presumably they were superb in the second half?
That's correct. A few half chances here & there and loads of 20-30 yarders from Stevie Me. I don't think Sorenson got his hands stung once.

Liverpool are pure turd.

But hey, they had 20 corners. The skaus will be happy with that. @#%&!s

Unread 20-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default and another thing, while i feeling obsessed...

the world of football pundityr made mountains out of the vermin turning us over despite the absence of their two great world class stars - carragher aside, of course

presumably they only drew at home with stoke city fc today despite the presence of the same two great world class stars?

when that was in my head it made sense btw

Unread 20-09-2008, 09:54 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
the world of football pundityr made mountains out of the vermin turning us over despite the absence of their two great world class stars - carragher aside, of course

presumably they only drew at home with stoke city fc today despite the presence of the same two great world class stars?

when that was in my head it made sense btw

WTF

The sad thing is that I get you

Unread 20-09-2008, 10:02 PM
denis lawless

Unread 21-09-2008, 09:11 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigo
That was probably top tiptser and all round kopite gobshite,Derek McGovern,a £#%&!wit of the highest order.
it was probably top tipster mark lawrenson
Closed Thread