United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-05-2007, 03:56 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Winning the league would end a relative drought in terms of success. For me it would take the pressure of the management slightly. Maybe I am wrong.

Look at our defensive options

Brown
Rio
Vidic
Heinze
Silvestre
O'Shea
Neville
Evra

Do we really need all of them. the injury crisis would suggest yes, but that is not going to happen every season. Without it Silvestre and Heinze especially would not have played many games. Given their age and recent performances it would surely not be that much of a blow to replace them with Evans and Pique. We would still have good experienced options. If we buy Bale we will need to find space for him as well.

Just think it is time to take that gamble. They will not be starting very game , but as 4/5th option It would keep them as part of the squad instead of 2 year down the line suddenly having to replace 2/3 of the defensive options at the same time.
I don't disagree with you.

Like I say, it's a big thing investing in them like that, though. Not like it was years ago. The stakes are higher and demand for instant success is higher.
We can flippantly suggest showing one or two the door, but it's not as easy as that.
Fletcher is finally being shown some genuine faith and has established himself as a decent squad player, but it's taken him over three seasons!
If they're options 4 or 5 then they'll become frustrated having played regularly out on loan.

Ben Foster will find it very hard suddenly playing number 2 after being his previous club's player of the year. Goodness knows what that will do to his confidence.

I don't really know what the solution is. It's a bit of a catch 22. They need games to reach a certain level, but they have to be at a certain level to succeed in the games.

Fundamentally though, I agree with you.

Unread 03-05-2007, 04:08 PM
mr.sitter

Quote:
I'd love us to get a top quality striker, winder and midfielder.

is that for all them clockwork players we've got

Unread 03-05-2007, 04:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Get Rossi and Pique back here for next season and lets get them playing for United. After Pique's somewhat slow start, they are both now enjoying fantastic loan spells at a good level. If they were not owned by United, both players would be highly coveted around Europe this summer.

Evans, Simpson and Foster I'd look to give a year on loan in the Premiership.

Get rid of Richardson, Silvestre and Smith.

Pique, O'Shea and Fletcher should be able to provide decent cover for Neville, who I think is on his last legs and is maybe looking at his last year as a first choice before being replaced properly.

We definitely need three quality players coming in:

Central midfielder who can compete but also pass the ball. Someone in the mould of Xabi Alonso for me.

Creative attacking midfielder or winger. We need an alternative to Giggs and Ronaldo, but they need to have more than Park. Perhaps Nani (he's certainly available) but I'd like someone a little more experienced.

Centre forward is important. We basically need someone just like Louis Saha, without being a hypochondriac.

Unread 03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Centre forward is important. We basically need someone just like Louis Saha, without being a hypochondriac.

That would be E'to. Maybe Torres. Other than that I can't think of a single one.

Unread 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM
magic_cantona

As long as Silvestre and Richardson are gone next season, I'll be happy as far as 'out's' go.

In's

Bale

O H

Aaron Lennon

And any from Huntelaar, Torres (unlikely) or Eto'o (very unlikely), Berbatov (Very, very unlikely).

Unread 03-05-2007, 04:52 PM
TreeFiddy

Where has all this Nani stuff come from? Just because he has been mentioned on the forum people think we're signing him. Has there been anything to suggest we're interested?

I think Hargreaves will come. But at 20 million we're really overpaying and won't be able to bring in any other good players.

We'll probably just pick up another shite squad player who's of no real use. We'll go for a striker like Defoe or a midfielder like Pederson. Shame neither of them are anywhere near good enough for United.

I think we really need a top class striker to take the pressure off Rooney in big games. Don't see how it's going to happen though.

Those of you saying we'll sign Bale, Bervatov and Hagreaves - why do you think we'll be able to spend over 50 million?

We'll bring in Hargreaves and one below par squad player.

Unread 03-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Where has all this Nani stuff come from? Just because he has been mentioned on the forum people think we're signing him. Has there been anything to suggest we're interested?

I think Hargreaves will come. But at 20 million we're really overpaying and won't be able to bring in any other good players.

We'll probably just pick up another shite squad player who's of no real use. We'll go for a striker like Defoe or a midfielder like Pederson. Shame neither of them are anywhere near good enough for United.

I think we really need a top class striker to take the pressure off Rooney in big games. Don't see how it's going to happen though.

Those of you saying we'll sign Bale, Bervatov and Hagreaves - why do you think we'll be able to spend over 50 million?

We'll bring in Hargreaves and one below par squad player.

£18 million package.

Why would we buy Defoe and Pedersen when anyone with a brain can see they are not good enough for United?

Unread 03-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Barca '91

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I'd love us to get a top quality striker, winder and midfielder.
Yeah, we've needed one of them for ages now

Seriously though we should just get rid of everyone in our side especiall y Rooney as he has no left foot, sack the £#%&!ing manager and start over. I for one am fed up to the back teeth with this embarrassment of a season.

Unread 03-05-2007, 05:14 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Why would we buy Defoe and Pedersen when anyone with a brain can see they are not good enough for United?
I don't £#%&!ing know. But I do have a feeling we'll add someone like that as a squad player because we won't be able to afford a top player.

It's like Park. We signed him knowing full well he'd never be good enough to hold down a place in the starting lineup. I think he's a very good squad player but we don't need any more of those.

Unread 03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
khmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
He looks like a young Herman Munster if he joined McFly. Oh and as far as i can tell he's shite.

Unread 03-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Smiling Bastard

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle1588629.ece

Huntelaar, Hargreaves, Nani, possibly Bale, by the sound of things.

We won't get them all.

Unread 03-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Coracao

The Nani link is probably due to the fact that we'e supposed to have first refusal on their players, if a decent one were to leave then you'd think we'd be interested.

Simao impressed me when we played against Benfica, but i'm not sure if he'd be a success over here.

We were also linked with that Italian lad at Sampdoria Quaq... not even gonna attempt to spell the rest of his name.

Berbatov would probably cost us more than Et'oo...

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Rhodzy

The Nani links from a article Whaley posted a while back

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodzy
The Nani links from a article Whaley posted a while back
Whalefish has not been proven right on many occasions.

In fact, with all due respect, i'm not sure why he has gained such a reputation around this place.
Closed Thread