United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-05-2007, 10:45 PM
TreeFiddy

Default My thoughts on tonight - have a read when you've calmed down

We've fallen again in the late stages in Europe and it's a great shame but we can't get too down about it.

Who would have expected us to be in this position at the start of the season? I think deep down we all knew that our team was not quite good enough to repeat the heroics of 99 and I don't believe it will ever be repeated as long as I live.

Milan are a great side. You can't take anything away from them. Kaka is the best player in the world and Gattuso is a brilliant player. They are a fantastic footballing side and never look under pressure when on the ball. In contrast we looked hurried and nervous tonight and our lads panicked when they were being closed down. Our side is still very young and we had terrible defensive injuries over the two legs. To expect us to go and get a result in the San Siro against Europe's most experienced side is asking a lot. Looking back on it with hindsight after getting wrapped up in the glory of this season, why did we expect we could get something tonight? We've not performed to an acceptable level away from Old Trafford in Europe for a long time. It's amazing we made it this far with that in mind to be honest.

I'd rather not get into the details of the game. We all know it was a poor performance and it's a real shame that we couldn't give a good account of ourselves. Nothing went right and we were just totally outclassed. The better team won for sure. Let's just £#%&!ing hope they remember to play like that in Athens...for two halves. The players I don't believe to be of a high enough standard were shown up tonight, but equally, the players who have been our leaders all season were not at the races.

I'm not as disappointed as I thought I'd be. I expected to be absolutely gutted and on the verge of tears but that would be silly. Perhaps I'd feel different if the game was close - from the kick off I could already prepare myself for defeat given the way we were playing. We have to look forward just as Roy Keane would do. (If ever in doubt about the correct mindset just think of what Keano would do - we could have done with him tonight.) But I digress. We have a huge game on Saturday. Win it and I believe we'll certainly win the title. What a magnificent achievement it will be to reign supreme as the best team in England and triumph over the Russian @#%&!'s millions. We're also in the FA Cup final so we can end this wonderful season with a fantastic double. Nothing to be gloomy about then. In case there was anything more needed, we know we play fantastic attacking football. We might not have shown it tonight but just look back at this season - it's been brilliant.

Also, just a question. How come I didn't hear anything from our fans tonight? Is it because they were on the top tier? Not a dig, I was just genuinely surprised.

United's flag is deepest red
It shrouded all our Munich dead
Before their limbs grew stiff and cold
Their heart's blood dyed it's every fold
Then raise United's banner high
Beneath its shade we'll live and die
So keep the faith and never fear
We'll keep the Red Flag flying here
WE'LL NEVER DIE, WE'LL NEVER DIE
We'll keep the Red flag flying high
'Cos Man United WILL NEVER DIE

Unread 02-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Zorg

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
We have to look forward just as Roy Keane would do. (If ever in doubt about the correct mindset just think of what Keano would do

Roy Keane

This is the mentality of a born winner.

Unread 02-05-2007, 10:49 PM
chorleyred

agree with all of that

and you need a better tv, I could hear them

Unread 02-05-2007, 10:49 PM
tatty

Regardless of how this season turns out form here it should be considered a success relative to pre-season expectations.

That said, it doesn't excuse the insipid and spineless performance tonight and I reckon the fallout will be Sahas snivelling arse skidding down the road come july.

Unread 02-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Stone Monkey

Thumbs up

Great post Tree!

Unread 02-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Stone Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

And this.

Unread 02-05-2007, 10:59 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Roy Keane

The man is quite simply a God in my eyes. I don't think there's anyone else who has such a fantastic and ruthless attitude to winning. He will be a superb manager because he just does not know what losing means. Obviously he has a bit of a screw loose but there's nothing wrong with that. In his book he even said how furious he was about comments made after Barca 99. How he was fuming that players were saying they didn't care if they never won anything again. And also how he didn't accept dominating English football and felt we should have gone on and dominated Europe. Incredible attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
That said, it doesn't excuse the insipid and spineless performance tonight and I reckon the fallout will be Sahas snivelling arse skidding down the road come july.
It was very sad to go out like that. We were just crushed and didn't do anything to go out on a high. There's definitely a need for a top quality striker at the club. Rooney needs to have the pressure taken off him in games like this so he doesn't have to play up front on his own.

Unread 02-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Butt-hole Surfer

Quote:
We've fallen again in the late stages in Europe and it's a great shame but we can't get too down about it.

Who would have expected us to be in this position at the start of the season?
Not me, but the way we battered Roma give me hope

I think deep down we all knew that our team was not quite good enough to repeat the heroics of 99 and I don't believe it will ever be repeated as long as I live.

Maybe, but I still had confidence we could have got a result tonight. Us scoring first would have made a big difference. Even at 2-0, 3-0 down just one goal from us might have been enough to send us on a roll similar to what happened at Everton.

Milan are a great side. You can't take anything away from them. Kaka is the best player in the world and Gattuso is a brilliant player. They are a fantastic footballing side and never look under pressure when on the ball.

Yes, but remember how we dominated them second half at OT (granted Gattuso went off)
In contrast we looked hurried and nervous tonight and our lads panicked when they were being closed down. Our side is still very young and we had terrible defensive injuries over the two legs. To expect us to go and get a result in the San Siro against Europe's most experienced side is asking a lot.

We could have done it if the older lads had showed the way

Looking back on it with hindsight after getting wrapped up in the glory of this season, why did we expect we could get something tonight? We've not performed to an acceptable level away from Old Trafford in Europe for a long time. It's amazing we made it this far with that in mind to be honest.

We are United, miracles can happen

I'd rather not get into the details of the game. We all know it was a poor performance and it's a real shame that we couldn't give a good account of ourselves. Nothing went right and we were just totally outclassed. The better team won for sure.

Yes

Let's just £#%&!ing hope they remember to play like that in Athens...for two halves.

Considering what barcelona and chelsea did it's about £#%&!ing time someone give the @#%&!s a game. We can only pray

The players I don't believe to be of a high enough standard were shown up tonight, but equally, the players who have been our leaders all season were not at the races.

Tired? Disappointing we only needed one or two to perform but none did.

I'm not as disappointed as I thought I'd be. I expected to be absolutely gutted and on the verge of tears but that would be silly. Perhaps I'd feel different if the game was close - from the kick off I could already prepare myself for defeat given the way we were playing.

Once the first went in I didn't want to watch anymore

We have to look forward just as Roy Keane would do. (If ever in doubt about the correct mindset just think of what Keano would do - we could have done with him tonight.) But I digress. We have a huge game on Saturday. Win it and I believe we'll certainly win the title. What a magnificent achievement it will be to reign supreme as the best team in England and triumph over the Russian @#%&!'s millions. We're also in the FA Cup final so we can end this wonderful season with a fantastic double. Nothing to be gloomy about then. In case there was anything more needed, we know we play fantastic attacking football. We might not have shown it tonight but just look back at this season - it's been brilliant.

I've just texted all my mates saying the same thing

Also, just a question. How come I didn't hear anything from our fans tonight? Is it because they were on the top tier? Not a dig, I was just genuinely surprised.

Best of luck for the rest of the season lads you are better than what we saw tonight.

Unread 02-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Stoned Moses

Quote:

Who would have expected us to be in this position at the start of the season? I think deep down we all knew that our team was not quite good enough to repeat the heroics of 99 and I don't believe it will ever be repeated as long as I live.

Milan are a great side. You can't take anything away from them. Kaka is the best player in the world and Gattuso is a brilliant player. They are a fantastic footballing side and never look under pressure when on the ball. In contrast we looked hurried and nervous tonight and our lads panicked when they were being closed down. Our side is still very young and we had terrible defensive injuries over the two legs. To expect us to go and get a result in the San Siro against Europe's most experienced side is asking a lot. Looking back on it with hindsight after getting wrapped up in the glory of this season, why did we expect we could get something tonight? We've not performed to an acceptable level away from Old Trafford in Europe for a long time. It's amazing we made it this far with that in mind to be honest.

I'd rather not get into the details of the game. We all know it was a poor performance and it's a real shame that we couldn't give a good account of ourselves. Nothing went right and we were just totally outclassed. The better team won for sure. Let's just £#%&!ing hope they remember to play like that in Athens...for two halves. The players I don't believe to be of a high enough standard were shown up tonight, but equally, the players who have been our leaders all season were not at the races.

I'm not as disappointed as I thought I'd be. I expected to be absolutely gutted and on the verge of tears but that would be silly. Perhaps I'd feel different if the game was close - from the kick off I could already prepare myself for defeat given the way we were playing. We have to look forward just as Roy Keane would do. (If ever in doubt about the correct mindset just think of what Keano would do - we could have done with him tonight.) But I digress. We have a huge game on Saturday. Win it and I believe we'll certainly win the title. What a magnificent achievement it will be to reign supreme as the best team in England and triumph over the Russian @#%&!'s millions. We're also in the FA Cup final so we can end this wonderful season with a fantastic double. Nothing to be gloomy about then. In case there was anything more needed, we know we play fantastic attacking football. We might not have shown it tonight but just look back at this season - it's been brilliant.

A perfect post, you could've been describing my exact thoughts and feelings.

Unread 02-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Rhodzy

Thumbs up

Unread 02-05-2007, 11:21 PM
celtbion

Very good post treefiddy.

Unread 03-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Gizza

Great post tree - couldn't agree more.

Gutted we've gone out but this season has given me far more than i ever expected, and we still ain't won anything yet!

Unread 03-05-2007, 12:54 AM
irk

correct on all points.

it would have been nice if we'd have turned up tonight. we should have played the way they did, pressed the ball, put in a tackle or two, and tried to play with more speed. truth be told our midfield was lacking bite, we had no width, and were harried out of our stride all night. it's unusal to see it happen to us but it did.

they did us, end of the story, there is no shame in it. they are a very good side. it will be interesting and possibly soul destroying watching how they cope with having it put up them like you know the scousers will. if european football history tells you anything it tells you that continental teams struggle against blood and thunder, and that's all liverpool have. they could fluke it in the final, especially as 2005 will be in the back of ac milan's mind.

the thing is - i worry how we can progress. the paucity of our squad has been a worry from the first game of the season, i'm not alone in being surpised how well we have done in all competitins this season given the cirumstances and i worry how with our current financial structure we can improve.

maybe this season is our last hurrah, our death spasm.

Unread 03-05-2007, 08:52 AM
red red robbo

Thumbs up

Worth a bttt for us morning people.

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:14 AM
The Watcher

Spot on fella, great post. I think a thing to keep in mind is that this current side is still being built. As good as fletcher has been in the 2nd half of the season, it's clear why Fergie really wants to get Hargreaves in to play that role. We also need a top class striker. Even so, the team has done wonderfully well this season. If we'd had our first choice back four over the two legs, I still think the result could have been different. It's a credit to the team that we even went to Milan with a lead. Anyway, look to the future. No better game to get the disappointment out of our system then the derby. I remember us going to Newcastle after Madrid dicked us. We turned the barcodes over 6-1. Here's hoping that this United team can get a similar result on Saturday

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Captain Marvel

totally agree.

Its a pity we didn't put in a perfomance that we know we can. Whether it was down to bad defensive play from our 2nd choice defence, tatical mistakes from the manager, tiredness of our players and a good Milan side. Thats football. It would have been fantastic to get to the final having got so near, but it is not something I expected before the start of the season. Nor was having a chance of doing the double. So yeah, I am not as gutted as when we lost to Bayern L or Dortmund. Knowing we can win the league or maybe do the double is beyond my expectations. Our football has been thrilling this season, and for me that is the most important thing.

I am looking forward to Milan beating the Vermin in Athens, that will complete a wonderful season.

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:52 AM
caliban

cracking post, with many of my sentiments already adequately expressed.

one more thing. fergie's post match comments were a world apart from that whiny chelsea @#%&!'s remarks on tuesday. fergal took it on the chin, sounded obviously dissappointed, mentioned the fixture pile-up, but gave credit to milan.

modest in victory, magnanimous in defeat. i think last night was just a bridge too far...

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:58 AM
MUFC One Love

Good point. We could do the double this season we're close to it, I think people are underestimating just what an achievement that is, remember what a double use to mean to us? It's huge, it gets us back where we belong, even just the title does that.

I think City is the perfect game to come back, they're shite, yeah, the 'form book' goes out the window for derbies but after such a hard away game against one of Europe's best playing City will be a breath of fresh air to the players and the perfect wait to bounce back, beating our local rivals for the title pretty much.

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
celtbion

Doesn't it all feel a little like that false dawn against Dortmund?

A few players too old, a few players too young.

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

the support was shite. i heard more from our lot after the £#%&!ing game than during it, there was maybe a couple of hundred attempting to sing throughout but nothing ever really got going.

that said, the San siro was rocking, fair play to the milan fans they were well up for it
Closed Thread