United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Spiffy

Default Fergie blames the Premier League.

The same Premier League who had 3 representatives in the last 4. It wasn't them who sent so many people on loan and wouldn't allow us the money they had promised to buy players we need.
You can blame the players, the manager and even the excellent owners but surely blaming the Premier League is just being bitter?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/6618279.stm

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:47 AM
antonin jablonsky

You're being a bit harsh, he's not blaming it he's offering it as mitigation and he has a point. It's no coincidence that the 2 PL teams who've gone out are challenging for the title and both looked tired and the one who got through hasn't hada meaningful game in months. He's also correct that it's a £#%&!ing diosgrace that we're playing at lunchtime on Satdee.

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
You're being a bit harsh, he's not blaming it he's offering it as mitigation and he has a point. It's no coincidence that the 2 PL teams who've gone out are challenging for the title and both looked tired and the one who got through hasn't hada meaningful game in months. He's also correct that it's a £#%&!ing diosgrace that we're playing at lunchtime on Satdee.

I agree on the timing of the derby but I think people are allowing this "not had a meaningful game for months" bit to cloud the issue.
Haven't they? They are playing in the Premiership, they need to finish in the top 4, have new owners to impress and until recently, they thought the league was "on". I think that Liverpool may have been able to rest more players in between games but generally they play their strongest team, week in week out. Unless you can tell me who they've dropped on more than the odd occasion?

Ronaldo was rested too for the odd game but that doesn't count.

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
armchair

If Fergie had rotated as much as Benitez or Mourinho this season he'd have been crucified. He's done brilliantly with a limited squad.

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Skag Trendy

He does have a point although had this been Mourinho offering this excuse we would be slating him big time.

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:57 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I agree on the timing of the derby but I think people are allowing this "not had a meaningful game for months" bit to cloud the issue.
Haven't they? They are playing in the Premiership, they need to finish in the top 4, have new owners to impress and until recently, they thought the league was "on". I think that Liverpool may have been able to rest more players in between games but generally they play their strongest team, week in week out. Unless you can tell me who they've dropped on more than the odd occasion?

Ronaldo was rested too for the odd game but that doesn't count.
Liverpool rested half their team against Pompey, as did Milan at the weekend. At that time both us and Chelsea were playing in what must've been incredibly draining matches both physically and mentally. There's no doubt that it is a hell of a lot more draining going for a title in awhat's become a real dogfight than trying to finish above Bolton. Again it isn't an excuse but it is mitigation. As for Ronnie, he was "rested" with an injury for allof 60 minutes.

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:59 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
If Fergie had rotated as much as Benitez or Mourinho this season he'd have been crucified. He's done brilliantly with a limited squad.
Spot on. Interesting question as to who's fault the limiting of our squad is.

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Liverpool rested half their team against Pompey, as did Milan at the weekend. At that time both us and Chelsea were playing in what must've been incredibly draining matches both physically and mentally. There's no doubt that it is a hell of a lot more draining going for a title in awhat's become a real dogfight than trying to finish above Bolton. Again it isn't an excuse but it is mitigation. As for Ronnie, he was "rested" with an injury for allof 60 minutes.
So nothing to play for for months has now turned into 6 players for 1 game? As long as we can put that myth to bed then.

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Agreed, but Fergie said at the start of the year he was happy with his squad, he knew we were in the EC so he must have taken that into account.

The only "excuse" is that they were mentally tired, but everyone can use that. Class teams don't use it, we didn't in 99.

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:01 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
So nothing to play for for months has now turned into 6 players for 1 game? As long as we can put that myth to bed then.
I was just using that as an example, which you asked forso stop being a slapped arse, Liverpool have had a far easier time of it than either us or Chelsea since Christmas. That's the price of success I suppose and again it isn't an excuse for last nights shambles but it is mitigation. Do you believe we haven't been playing in more meaningful games with more pressure on them in the last few months?

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:03 AM
punk_football

Quote:
Liverpool rested half their team against Pompey, as did Milan at the weekend. At that time both us and Chelsea were playing in what must've been incredibly draining matches both physically and mentally. There's no doubt that it is a hell of a lot more draining going for a title in awhat's become a real dogfight than trying to finish above Bolton. Again it isn't an excuse but it is mitigation. .

Spot on, also the heat on Saturday aswell must of made it knackering for the lads.

Zorg

He's spot on. The League are £#%&!ing £#%&!ers. It might sound like sour grapes, but he's been saying it for years and so has Wenger - the FA are petrified of being seen to favour the big clubs but in other countries this is seen as something you earn by qualifying for Europe.

violater

our so called limited squad got us as far as chelseas football manager squad so its not glazer or anyones fault.

we were beaten by a better team.

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:05 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

The only "excuse" is that they were mentally tired, but everyone can use that. Class teams don't use it, we didn't in 99.
For £#%&!s sake is the only acceptable season a treble winning season now?

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:08 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater
our so called limited squad got us as far as chelseas football manager squad so its not glazer or anyones fault.

we were beaten by a better team.
So you think Fergie should return any transfer funds he's given in the summer due to our squad being good enough?

Spiffy

Quote:
I was just using that as an example, which you asked forso stop being a slapped arse, Liverpool have had a far easier time of it than either us or Chelsea since Christmas. That's the price of success I suppose and again it isn't an excuse for last nights shambles but it is mitigation. Do you believe we haven't been playing in more meaningful games with more pressure on them in the last few months?
Yes, we have been playing in games with more pressure on us. Are you now saying that no one can win the lague and the EC in the same year? As Denis Lawless pointed out, Barca did it last year.

Are we lacking players, management skills, what? What will make the difference next year? The Premier League being nicer? No.

violater

Quote:
For £#%&!s sake is the only acceptable season a treble winning season now?
the man is a clown. ignore him.

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:10 AM
violater

Quote:
So you think Fergie should return any transfer funds he's given in the summer due to our squad being good enough?
not at all.
just that yesterday had nothing to do with our squad. our so called depleated squad has got us this far.

we were missing defenders but we have more that most teams in europe.

after chelsea we have the 2nd best team in the league and looking round europe i cant see ANY squad of players id rather have....

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:13 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Yes, we have been playing in games with more pressure on us. Are you now saying that no one can win the lague and the EC in the same year? As Denis Lawless pointed out, Barca did it last year.

Are we lacking players, management skills, what? What will make the difference next year? The Premier League being nicer? No.
No I'm not saying that, I will say that winning a treble is £#%&!ing difficult though. If memory serves me, we are the only English club to ever have done it, yet here you are furious that we haven't done it this year.

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Rossi the Red

He's also referring to Spurs' European run. the fact they had to play 48 hours later!

Just saying that other league's do their best fixture wise to help their clubs.
Closed Thread