United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts
Reply
 
Unread 13-02-2020, 11:23 PM
red in cumbria
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Just popped Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in the DVD player.

(BBC series from 1979, back when the licence fee was worth paying).

Pretty much every face is recognisable from TV & of course led by the brilliant Alec Guinness.

10/10 TV.
Remember it being raved about at the time, a genuine Beeb classic.
 
Unread 13-02-2020, 11:28 PM
Fat Al
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Remember it being raved about at the time, a genuine Beeb classic.
It is.

Le Carre was so impressed with AGs performance, he wrote later novels featuring the Smiley character to mirror Guinness portrayal of him.
The IMD Trivia page of the series is great reading.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080297...f_=tt_ql_trv_1
 
Unread 14-02-2020, 02:50 AM
shenwen
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Avenue 5. Meh.

Picard. Meh.

Not much of a space nerd tbf.

Oh and the Outsider, meh. Not much of a supernatural nerd.
the Outsider got itself lost in the weeds. Not sure of it wanted to be a supernatural thriller or a police procedural drama. Bit of a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Narcos Mexico is back
Could be good. Trailer is a bit worrying though. Has it gone full on Girl Power?
 
Unread 14-02-2020, 03:53 AM
rubbernecker
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Just popped Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in the DVD player.

(BBC series from 1979, back when the licence fee was worth paying).

Pretty much every face is recognisable from TV & of course led by the brilliant Alec Guinness.

10/10 TV.
I rewatched that the other week and ended up going full Le Carre with Smiley's People and A Perfect Spy
 
Unread 14-02-2020, 06:47 AM
puressence
 
Default

the strangers is mint
 
Unread 14-02-2020, 07:01 AM
Cream
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
the Outsider got itself lost in the weeds. Not sure of it wanted to be a supernatural thriller or a police procedural drama. Bit of a mess.
Quite so.

Used to love a good Stephen King yarn but after 600000 books, it all feels a bit stale.

His On Writing book advocates character led storytelling. No need to structure a plot.

Hmmm... I suppose when dealing with the supernatural you can get away with any old shite.

Last edited by Cream; 14-02-2020 at 07:03 AM.
 
Unread 14-02-2020, 07:04 AM
Albert Tatlock
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Quite so.

Used to love a good Stephen King yarn but after 600000 books, it all feels a bit stale.

His On Writing book advocates letting the characters find their own way. No need to structure a plot. Hmmm... I suppose when dealing with the supernatural you can get away with any old shite.
Dennis Wheately is better as is James Herbert ... The rats series is excellent
 
Unread 14-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Spock
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Dennis Wheately is better as is James Herbert ... The rats series is excellent
Agreed on james Herbert, plus reading the sexy bits as a kid lead to many a furious tug
 
Unread 14-02-2020, 12:27 PM
believe
 
Default

Not sure falls in to the right category but Iím addicted to Ramsayís Kitchen Nightmares and dragons Den clips on YouTube.
 
Unread 14-02-2020, 01:03 PM
suedeshoes
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
the strangers is mint
The Stranger? Netflix? It's bobbins.
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Recommend some good TV: 2020
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommend some good TV: 2019 Gypsum Fantastic TV / Film / Books / Arts 1125 01-01-2020 11:13 PM
recommend some good tv: 2018 Gypsum Fantastic TV / Film / Books / Arts 752 06-01-2019 08:54 PM
Recommend me a good camera Mr_Ed Science & Technology 20 03-08-2015 09:13 PM
Recommend me a good film... buryboy TV / Film / Books / Arts 30 13-10-2007 12:47 AM
Recommend a good book. MUFC One Love Off Topic 41 02-06-2007 01:25 AM
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2020 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.