Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:35 PM
Dr Stranger

Football Motd 19/09/21

Is about to come on.

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:38 PM
dunk

Was enjoying the Jimmy Greaves doc on BT Sport and turned over because I though we’d be first on had enough Chelsea fawning for a season today.

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:41 PM
Dr Stranger

I must confess, I didn’t realise just how impressive Greaves numbers are. Kinda silly. Old footage never quite does the old fellas justice.

I’m not old enough to have seen him play, but S&G was an early memory before the Premier League came along.

Back on topic: I kinda like it when we’re not first. Get these Chelsea sprouts out the way and were dessert

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:41 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I must confess, I didn’t realise just how impressive Greaves numbers are. Kinda silly. Old footage never quite does the old fellas justice.

I’m not old enough to have seen him play, but S&G was an early memory before the Premier League came along.
His finishes look modern.

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:45 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
His finishes look modern.
Yeah. That’s what struck me too. Most other players look a bit Charles ‘Charlie’ Charles.

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:46 PM
armchair

Quote:
Yeah. That’s what struck me too. Most other players look a bit Charles ‘Charlie’ Charles.
Law was similar. Super finesse football that seems out of time. I suppose timeless.

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:47 PM
dunk

Greaves was a monster. The World Cup Final in ‘66 probably wouldn’t have needed extra time if he’d played

Kane might break his Spurs record, but it will take more games.

Went to Milan, was miserable as sin, playing the most negative football where you’d be lucky if there was a goal in a game and scored 9 in 12 or something

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:51 PM
armchair

Jose ruined Kane playing him deep.

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:53 PM
dunk

Straight away, how is Bruno’s ht-trick goal v Leeds not in there? or Even Mason’s from the same game?

Quote:
Jose ruined Kane playing him deep.
He absolutely killed Dele Alli.

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:55 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Straight away, how is Bruno’s ht-trick goal v Leeds not in there? or Even Mason’s from the same game?
I’m sorry, there’s no part of me that can get even slightly upset at goal of the month candidates.

Good to see then bang up to date, sorting out August awards on September 19th.

Unread 19-09-2021, 09:57 PM
armchair

Quote:

He absolutely killed Dele Alli.
He caused Dele to have a complete identity crisis. He was a very english guy from a good, middle-class family and now he's rastaman.

Unread 19-09-2021, 10:01 PM
dunk

No way they’re going to claim that West Ham should’ve had a pen for that foul on AWB

Quote:
He caused Dele to have a complete identity crisis. He was a very english guy from a good, middle-class family and now he's rastaman.

Unread 19-09-2021, 10:02 PM
ZiggyStardust

What the hell are these highlights

Didn’t even show Ronaldo’s clear chance at the start of the 2nd half

Unread 19-09-2021, 10:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
What the hell are these highlights

Didn’t even show Ronaldo’s clear chance at the start of the 2nd half
You’d believe it was an even game based on this

Unread 19-09-2021, 10:07 PM
Dr Stranger

It’s a nice ball from Matic for Lingard too. Exactly why he was brought on. Let’s have it right, Fred £#%&!s that pass up.

Unread 19-09-2021, 10:09 PM
atticusgrinch

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to smile at how happy they all were with Dave and how happy Dave was with the save.

What about that AWB non-pel? Didn't even notice that. What the £#%&! was he doing?

Unread 19-09-2021, 10:11 PM
Dr Stranger

Penalty raking seems to be so much more convoluted these days. You’ve got players arguing over who is taking them, as they’re awarded, why isn’t that sorted in the dressing room?

And as for bringing on a player to take one…. Is a 94th minute penalty not enough pressure without highlighting it more by bringing some poor £#%&!er on who hasn’t kicked a ball all game? Surely nobody is that much better than the next man. Rice picked it up, he wanted it, let him take it - or whoever the designated taker is.

Stupid decision. And him scoring it wouldn’t have made it any less stupid.

Unread 19-09-2021, 10:13 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
You'd have to have a heart of stone not to smile at how happy they all were with Dave and how happy Dave was with the save.

What about that AWB non-pel? Didn't even notice that. What the £#%&! was he doing?
Sliding to intercept the through ball, Soucek is behind him, it was a foul on AWB, which is what was given.

Quote:
Penalty raking seems to be so much more convoluted these days. You’ve got players arguing over who is taking them, as they’re awarded, why isn’t that sorted in the dressing room?

And as for bringing on a player to take one…. Is a 94th minute penalty not enough pressure without highlighting it more by bringing some poor £#%&!er on who hasn’t kicked a ball all game? Surely nobody is that much better than the next man. Rice picked it up, he wanted it, let him take it - or whoever the designated taker is.

Stupid decision. And him scoring it wouldn’t have made it any less stupid.
Was stupid in the final of the Euros too. And out of order in that case, passing the pressure to young kids who’d barely played all tournament.

That Leicester kit is ropey.

Delighted for Welbz

Unread 19-09-2021, 10:18 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Sliding to intercept the through ball, Soucek is behind him, it was a foul on AWB, which is what was given.

Was stupid in the final of the Euros too. And out of order in that case, passing the pressure to young kids who’d barely played all tournament.
I think it’s a little different when it’s a shoot out, as you’re building almost like a team of penalty takers. Still a lot of pressure, but it’s not one player for one penalty.

Shearer said the same: there’s enough pressure on it without adding to it. It really hangs Noble out to dry, it’s a telegraphed, tentative penalty.

The AWB one looks more of a penalty than I thought earlier when we were watching live, but the Ronaldo ones are a £#%&!ing joke.

Unread 19-09-2021, 10:20 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

That Leicester kit is ropey.

Delighted for Welbz
That's one way of looking at it i suppose. Another is that he slid into the opposition player in the box getting nowhere near the ball.

Have you had your eyes tested recently?
Closed Thread