Unread 12-08-2021, 08:55 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You’re agenda is boring .
15 minutes in to a Chelsea v Villarreal game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Forgot about that. I've done my best to erase the Mourinho years though tbf.
Roll on Saturday

Unread 12-08-2021, 07:17 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
2010 was ours too IMO had we not £#%&!ed it v Bayern.
We were partly robbed by the officials there, as against Porto and indeed RM three years later.

Of all those missed opportunities listed (though nobody has yet mentioned Dortmund in 1997 I think!) Leverkusen is easily the most heartbreaking and unforgivable for me, though.

We simply choked.

Unread 12-08-2021, 07:39 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
We were partly robbed by the officials there, as against Porto and indeed RM three years later.

Of all those missed opportunities listed (though nobody has yet mentioned Dortmund in 1997 I think!) Leverkusen is easily the most heartbreaking and unforgivable for me, though.

We simply choked.
Indeed, when you think back to how superior we we're then, not to have won 3 on the trot or five over the period is just a piss off. We really should have enough stars to surround the badge. Still, we outran the scouse in the league and had some very good times at home and away. 20 times, 20 times......

Unread 12-08-2021, 07:50 PM
red in cumbria

And lots of other clubs have managed to shithouse at least one CL, in a way its a bit unfair that we haven't.

Unread 13-08-2021, 12:51 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria

We simply choked.
Rafael's 2 yellows were academic.

Unread 13-08-2021, 12:35 PM
Neo

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Rafael's 2 yellows were academic.
Robben also scored one of the best goals in Champion's League history.

LvG did a total number on Fergie that night. The way Bayern closed out the game was masterful, tbf. We couldn't get a touch on the ball.

It's easy to look back at our failings in Europe over the years and blame bad luck, but most of the time we simply weren't good enough. In the years immediately after 1999 I felt we never really developed the 'street-smarts' to properly dominate the competition, and were often dumped out because of our own naivety, and lack of continental nous.

Unread 13-08-2021, 02:06 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
1998 Monaco

2002 Bayer Leverkusen

2004 going out to porto after one our goals was incorrectly ruled offside.

2007 losing to that Milan team which wasn’t that great. Evra and Heinze running into each other for one of Kaka’s goals.

Loads of missed opportunities. But then I suppose every club has their own tales of disappointment as well.
Dortmund 97.

Eric knew it was the end, then.
Closed Thread