United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-09-2021, 11:21 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
That's one way of looking at it i suppose. Another is that he slid into the opposition player in the box getting nowhere near the ball.

Have you had your eyes tested recently?
How can you slide into someone approaching you from behind? When he starts the move to slide Soucek is 3 yards behind him. Soucek impeded a movement AWB was already making.

Unread 19-09-2021, 11:21 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I think it’s a little different when it’s a shoot out, as you’re building almost like a team of penalty takers. Still a lot of pressure, but it’s not one player for one penalty.

Shearer said the same: there’s enough pressure on it without adding to it. It really hangs Noble out to dry, it’s a telegraphed, tentative penalty.

The AWB one looks more of a penalty than I thought earlier when we were watching live, but the Ronaldo ones are a £#%&!ing joke.
The first and third Ronaldo trips should both have been penalties. The AWB and Shaw incidents were too.

Only one given - and that was a VAR review.

Mental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
How can you slide into someone approaching you from behind? When he starts the move to slide Soucek is 3 yards behind him. Soucek impeded a movement AWB was already making.
Ok pal.

Unread 19-09-2021, 11:24 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
The first and third Ronaldo trips should both have been penalties. The AWB and Shaw incidents were too.

Only one given - and that was a VAR review.

Mental.

Ok pal.
Yeah, I think all four are. Atkinson has had a £#%&!ing nightmare today.

What a nightmare for Harvey Barnes too. Two offside goals disallowed because he’s in the way of the keeper

Potter done a great job a Brighton. Quiet, unassuming chap. Be interesting to see how he does in a bigger job and we will do if he carries on,

Unread 19-09-2021, 11:26 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
And yet will carry on officiating games for the rest of the season.

Unread 19-09-2021, 11:29 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
And yet will carry on officiating games for the rest of the season.
Some shockers in the Brighton game too. The handball is harsh, as he’s being fouled and there’s no way Barnes is interfering with the second one. He’s not in his way of his eyeline. VAR is meant to reduce errors, but it’s still the same #@&%! officials making the decisions on the booths.

Just catching up with the City VAR stuff.

Regardless of the accuracy of the calls, Jon Moss is a fat £#%&!ing disgrace, isn’t he?

Unread 19-09-2021, 11:53 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

What a nightmare for Harvey Barnes too. Two offside goals disallowed because he’s in the way of the keeper

Potter done a great job a Brighton. Quiet, unassuming chap. Be interesting to see how he does in a bigger job and we will do if he carries on,
Apparently an offside was given re AWB.

Should have been 2-1 penalties.

Atkinson though.

Unread 20-09-2021, 12:00 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Apparently an offside was given re AWB.

Should have been 2-1 penalties.

Atkinson though.
I didn’t think it was offside? Oh well.

Yes. Atkinson is shit. Denying Ronaldo penalties since 2008.

Unread 20-09-2021, 12:08 AM
Sparky***

Quote:

The 2nd one was absolute %@#$&!s

Unread 20-09-2021, 06:56 AM
Vedder

Ronaldo dived for both of them. No pens

Unread 20-09-2021, 07:17 AM
Patty_b

The first one was as nailed on penalty as a nailed on penalty can get. Stuck his leg out into the path of Ronaldo and took him out. Stonewall and it is mental that it wasn't overturned.

The second one Ronaldo started going down before contact after a mad lunge by Zouma. But judging by the earlier one with Pogba and Zouma, where Zouma performed a 9.5 Salmon leap over the tips of Pogba's toes, then rolled around injured for some reason, the attacking player doesn't need to take the hit for it to be penalised as a foul. Ronaldo could have not gone down and been clattered instead. Or, the officials could've not been pathetic cowards, appreciated that Zouma was always taking Ronaldo out in that situation and made the sensible decision to award the penalty. No-one but the most swivel-eyed ABU's would've been arguing that it wasn't a penalty if it was given.

Awful decisions that almost had a major impact on the game and the start of the season so far.

Unread 20-09-2021, 07:31 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You can foul someone arriving from behind you tbf - seen it a few times where a defenders shaped to clear and the forward has nipped in and got a toe on the ball purely to get kicked and go over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Ronaldo dived for both of them. No pens
I can also see how he played for both. He did a touch of the Ashley Youngs for the first one.

Unread 20-09-2021, 07:50 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
You can foul someone arriving from behind you tbf - seen it a few times where a defenders shaped to clear and the forward has nipped in and got a toe on the ball purely to get kicked and go over.

I can also see how he played for both. He did a touch of the Ashley Youngs for the first one.
For the first one I don't see what choice Ronaldo had. He played for it and the defender took the bait. Intent shouldn't factor in. For the Zouma one, the more I watch the more it would have been soft. It doesn't matter that Zouma would have fouled him - Ronaldo went down before that could be proven.

Unread 20-09-2021, 07:54 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Jose ruined Kane playing him deep.
Other than him probably playing the best football of his career during that period.

Unread 20-09-2021, 08:11 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
For the first one I don't see what choice Ronaldo had. He played for it and the defender took the bait. Intent shouldn't factor in. For the Zouma one, the more I watch the more it would have been soft. It doesn't matter that Zouma would have fouled him - Ronaldo went down before that could be proven.
agree re Zouma. He'd probably have got it had he not started to go down.

If you watch the first appeal from behind Ronaldo he moves into the player instead of following the line of the ball. It was a less obvious version of what Young did a couple of times.

Unread 20-09-2021, 08:15 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

If you watch the first appeal from behind Ronaldo he moves into the player instead of following the line of the ball. It was a less obvious version of what Young did a couple of times.
This is what Alan Smith said, but he doesn't do that at all, he was running directly at Coufal and nips the ball past him, his momentum still takes him towards Coufal a bit because that's how momentum works, and he's cleaned out. He doesn't dangle a leg out to initiate any contact at all.

Unread 20-09-2021, 08:40 AM
shenwen

Quote:

Again though, is there a condition of penalties that you have to follow the line of the ball? If the opposition moves into the attackers way, it's a pen no?

Unread 20-09-2021, 10:26 AM
jem

it's a blatant penalty. anyone who doesn't think so is an idiot.

there is only one question you need to ask yourself: "am I an idiot?" well..... are you?

Unread 20-09-2021, 12:32 PM
Dr Stranger

Sick of all this ‘initiating contact’ and forensic examination of where his momentum is taking him. Stop making excuses for utterly reckless defending.

Kurt Zouma is about 7ft tall and 300lbs and flings every inch of his frame at Ronaldo and nowhere near the ball…. But yeah, Ronaldo should do more to stay on his feet.

£#%&! off.

Unread 20-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
This is what Alan Smith said, but he doesn't do that at all, he was running directly at Coufal and nips the ball past him, his momentum still takes him towards Coufal a bit because that's how momentum works, and he's cleaned out. He doesn't dangle a leg out to initiate any contact at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ylSJfb5sc
The angle behind Ronaldo not shown there I thought it looked like he made the contact and went down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Again though, is there a condition of penalties that you have to follow the line of the ball? If the opposition moves into the attackers way, it's a pen no?
I didn’t think that was what happened from the angle shown behind Ronaldo. Just my opinion.

I’m as blinkered as it gets too, I’m dying to see it as a penalty trust me

Unread 20-09-2021, 12:45 PM
dunk

I’m still quietly seething about the 1.5 second advantage played when Zouma absolutely cleared out Pogba on half way about 5 minutes in that was never referred to again. Should’ve been a freekick and a booking. Diabolical refereeing.
Closed Thread