out 17 17.35%
in 81 82.65%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 18-09-2021, 06:01 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Personally don't think he should go if we don't win anything this season, but definitely needs to be in the mix in the league (top 3 and within spitting distance of first) and ideally through to the latter stages of the CL. If we don't make it past the group stage then he really does need to shake up the coaching side of things and maybe bring in a new assistant. Any other cup would a bonus.

If we don't win any major trophy but qualify for next year's CL, I'd give him one more summer transfer window and see how we get on at the start of next season before even considering whether I'd want him out or not.

The only things that would change my mind on the subject would be failure to qualify for the Champions League next year, losing the dressing room entirely or playing a Jose brand of football.

Surely, the United way?
The United way of ole being the 4th manager in 8 years?

Anyway, suspect it’s your expectations that differ most from others.

Most would say we’ve improved our squad since finishing 2nd and some would say we have the strongest squad of all the top teams. First and foremost, ole has got us to this position and deserves massive credit for that - the question is whether he can deliver now we’re in the position we are. I feel we have to get something this year or be only a whisker away. Losing to the dross like we did in the europa or bombing out of the cl or finishing behind Liverpool and Chelsea would put him on very thin ice unless there were clear mitigating circumstances.

We’ll see…

Unread 18-09-2021, 06:13 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth

Most would say we’ve improved our squad since finishing 2nd and some would say we have the strongest squad of all the top teams.
Not with our midfield, we don't.

What it is, I absolutely agree, is a squad that despite its remaining deficiencies is CAPABLE of winning major honours.

And yes, our manager will ultimately be judged on that basis.

Unread 18-09-2021, 06:24 PM
BarryX

Quote:

Most would say we’ve improved our squad since finishing 2nd and some would say we have the strongest squad of all the top teams. First and foremost, ole has got us to this position and deserves massive credit for that - the question is whether he can deliver now we’re in the position we are. I feel we have to get something this year or be only a whisker away. Losing to the dross like we did in the europa or bombing out of the cl or finishing behind Liverpool and Chelsea would put him on very thin ice unless there were clear mitigating circumstances.

We’ll see…
Within spitting distance and being a whisker away are surely the same thing, no? Seems like our expectations aren't that different at all.

Unread 18-09-2021, 06:25 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Not with our midfield, we don't.

What it is, I absolutely agree, is a squad that despite its remaining deficiencies is CAPABLE of winning major honours.

And yes, our manager will ultimately be judged on that basis.
Very few teams match the strength of our defence and none have what we have in attack. I suspect fans of Chelsea and Liverpool would each complain of having weaker squads than us despite the midfield weakness you’ve mentioned.

Unread 18-09-2021, 06:29 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

We’ll see…
Well this is quite clearly rubbish. We don't.

City and Chelsea have the strongest squads.

Unread 18-09-2021, 06:34 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

We’re good ‘on paper’, but the least cohesive side of the top four. You know exactly what you’ll get from Liverpool, City and to a lesser extent Chelsea. We could be brilliant, awful or anything in between on any given week.

Unread 18-09-2021, 06:54 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:

Not everyone agrees.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299096

Unread 18-09-2021, 07:14 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
We’re good ‘on paper’, but the least cohesive side of the top four. You know exactly what you’ll get from Liverpool, City and to a lesser extent Chelsea. We could be brilliant, awful or anything in between on any given week.
Well that's the point i suppose. A squad is only strong if the players can be relied upon to come off the bench and actually do something

Unread 18-09-2021, 07:29 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
A certain Norway based poster voting that we have the best squad - couldn't possibly be any agenda there

Unread 18-09-2021, 07:30 PM
atticusgrinch

Some are already saying Tuchel has done more for man united than Ole has in 3 years of being manager.

If he has to save us from the dippers getting to 20 as well, surely a statue would be in order?

Unread 18-09-2021, 10:15 PM
Stickman

Quote:

For me, Chelsea are only stronger than us in midfield. Goalkeeper could go either way. Our squad is better.

Their focal point in attack was booted out of here.

Unread 18-09-2021, 10:38 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
For me, Chelsea are only stronger than us in midfield. Goalkeeper could go either way. Our squad is better.

Their focal point in attack was booted out of here.
TBF he has trimmed down and improved a fair bit, and is guaranteed to get goals for them. I, for one, do think our squad is as good as both at the moment, though, overall at least. It just might take a while for the new lads to settle in, which is another reason why I don't think it makes sense to be putting such high demands on Ole this season (and why I don't think it's right to be demanding that he wins one of the big ones).

Unread 18-09-2021, 10:39 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Well that's the point i suppose. A squad is only strong if the players can be relied upon to come off the bench and actually do something
Exactly. Just looking at the squad ignores….you know….how it actually plays.

Unread 18-09-2021, 11:17 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Exactly. Just looking at the squad ignores….you know….how it actually plays.
Also, if the squad is equal or better than chelsea's, there's absolutely no reason we shouldn't be right up there come the business end of the season challenging the likes of Chelsea and City?

because if 8 months down the line we're having the "top 4" conversation again then really, the problem is the manger?

Unread 18-09-2021, 11:40 PM
20LEgend1999

Quote:
Also, if the squad is equal or better than chelsea's, there's absolutely no reason we shouldn't be right up there come the business end of the season challenging the likes of Chelsea and City?

because if 8 months down the line we're having the "top 4" conversation again then really, the problem is the manger?
That's the general consensus from what I've seen. Most people saying "Ole in" on this thread are saying it on the proviso that he has us competing at the top of the league this season.

Unread 18-09-2021, 11:42 PM
Stickman

Quote:

I already thought our squads were tit for tat last season but this summers business swung it firmly in our favour for me.

Unread 18-09-2021, 11:43 PM
Fat Al

Shouldn't we be saving all the bed-wetting til at least the New Year? When we'll have a better idea of how the season is panning out rather than £#%&!ing having knee-jerk hissy fits after 4 league & 1 CL game?

Unread 18-09-2021, 11:53 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
He was caretaker for the first, what, 5 or 6 months? Inherited a squad that wasn't his, with morale at a near all-time low, and then won 14 out of 16 if I'm not mistaken (which in itself speaks for itself).

Whatever your opinion on him, the simple fact is that he's only had two full seasons in charge and this is the start or his third. Name me another United manager that's won the title in his third full season.
We've only had three managers who have won the title. Mangnall took five years and was the quickest. We're not a club that does continued success under different managers.

Unread 18-09-2021, 11:56 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
We've only had three managers who have won the title. Mangnall took five years and was the quickest. We're not a club that does continued success under different managers.

Unread 19-09-2021, 04:20 PM
magic_cantona

Closed Thread