United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Amongst last season's top 4, where does our squad rank?
Best 5 16.13%
2nd Best 14 45.16%
3rd Best 10 32.26%
Worst 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 09-08-2021, 07:24 PM
20LEgend1999

Default How does our current squad match up?

In terms of "on paper", as things stand, how do you think we match up?

I didn't make these, so take no responsibility for any inaccuracies.

Unread 09-08-2021, 07:38 PM
dunk

Keeper and midfield need serious work.

Chelsea are going to be a right pain in the arse this year

Unread 09-08-2021, 07:47 PM
Hyman_Roth

The better question is where we’ll finish up. Liverpool won the league with a squad, on paper and prior to hindsight, arguably worse than ours and certainly worse than city’s…. Leicester the same.

Agree that Chelsea are going to grim opponents.

Unread 09-08-2021, 08:03 PM
20LEgend1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
The better question is where we’ll finish up.
I was gonna do that one Friday afternoon.

Feels like there a lot of goals in our squad, so I think a lot depends on how Maguire and Varane settle together, and whether either of our goalkeepers are good enough for me.

Unread 09-08-2021, 08:14 PM
jem

hard to believe we gave up on trippier. midfield is weak and striking options all similar types, apart from cavani. we can beat any of those teams, but we will still lack consistency and look uncoached.

Unread 09-08-2021, 08:23 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
I was gonna do that one Friday afternoon.

Feels like there a lot of goals in our squad, so I think a lot depends on how Maguire and Varane settle together, and whether either of our goalkeepers are good enough for me.
Not sure about that yet. I didn't think there were enough goals in the squad going in to last season, then Martial and Greenwood couldn't buy a goal until April (in Greenwood's case) and Rashford played the entire season on one leg. Remains to be seen whether 1 signing will be sufficient to alleviate that problem imo, even if Greenwood is highly unlikely to have a similar spell and Martial just can't if he wants to remain a professional footballer. We don't get enough from the midfield (other than Bruno, obvs), and there's a decent chance there will be a lot fewer penalties this time out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
hard to believe we gave up on trippier. midfield is weak and striking options all similar types, apart from cavani. we can beat any of those teams, but we will still lack consistency and look uncoached.
I've a feeling there's a bit of brinkmanship going on with Trippier, he wants to come, they want to sell. We've told them the price, they're holding out for more. Reckon they might blink late in the window if Trippier kicks up enough stink. Relying on Dalot ffs I've personally not seen anything to suggest he'd be anything but an innocent bystander as AWB racks up another 60+ game season if he stays.

Would love a RB, 2 midfielders and to swap James and Mata for another useful striker/forward

Unread 09-08-2021, 08:42 PM
Dr Stranger

The squad matches up well, but that’s not the issue, for me.

This team is yet to prove it can win when it matters. We know City and Liverpool can win the league, Chelsea the champions league.

The issues we have won’t get answered by just looking at squad options.

Unread 09-08-2021, 08:44 PM
dunk

There are at least 6 players in our squad who will be of no use whatsoever this season. £#%&! them off and replace them with 3 that would at least offer something and we'd stand a chance.

Unread 09-08-2021, 08:46 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
There are at least 6 players in our squad who will be of no use whatsoever this season. £#%&! them off and replace them with 3 that would at least offer something and we'd stand a chance.
We can’t get rid of them. Selling seems harder than buying for us right now.

Unread 09-08-2021, 08:51 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
We can’t get rid of them. Selling seems harder than buying for us right now.
I know I do think everyone is struggling to sell anyone who isn't top tier or full of potential though, tbf. There are 2 or 3 in City's squad I'd expect to move on, and about 6 in Chelsea's. Chelsea will also sign Kounde, and City will probably end up getting Kane.

Unread 09-08-2021, 08:55 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I know I do think everyone is struggling to sell anyone who isn't top tier or full of potential though, tbf. There are 2 or 3 in City's squad I'd expect to move on, and about 6 in Chelsea's. Chelsea will also sign Kounde, and City will probably end up getting Kane.
And as much as there is deadwood in our squad, there’s some £#%&!ing shite in the others too. Especially Liverpool tbh. Their back up options are crap.

Unread 09-08-2021, 08:58 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
And as much as there is deadwood in our squad, there’s some £#%&!ing shite in the others too. Especially Liverpool tbh. Their back up options are crap.
The defence and attack are pretty well stocked, back up in midfield is questionable. Reckon they'll shift 3 or 4 of that lot as well. I think they'd love another forward and a midfielder but are on their arse.

Unread 09-08-2021, 09:03 PM
Collywobbles

Chelsea far too overhyped IMO. Lukaku isn't even a world-class striker. In fact, in terms of world-class quality, only Kante is at that level, and he's just a slightly superior Remi Moses.

Liverpool look spent. Think City are too.

United 21-22 First Division champions.

Unread 09-08-2021, 09:27 PM
saffers

Quote:

Would they be as big of a pain in the arse if Lampard was still there?

Hmmmmmmm

Unread 09-08-2021, 09:36 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Would they be as big of a pain in the arse if Lampard was still there?

Hmmmmmmm
They were less likely to play shit on a stick defensive football with 9 men behind the ball and hope to scrape a winner under Lampard tbf.

Unread 09-08-2021, 09:48 PM
AK14

Chelsea the strongest

Us 2nd

City 3rd

Still think we’ll win the league…

Unread 09-08-2021, 11:14 PM
red in cumbria

Its improving, and could do so by more before the month is out. That will do for now.

Unread 10-08-2021, 12:53 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collywobbles
Chelsea far too overhyped IMO. Lukaku isn't even a world-class striker. In fact, in terms of world-class quality, only Kante is at that level, and he's just a slightly superior Remi Moses.

Liverpool look spent. Think City are too.

United 21-22 First Division champions.
Yeah. Overhyped European Champions. They’ll be a much improved side domestically.

Unread 11-08-2021, 07:53 AM
united8

Looking at 1st or 2nd this season.

Unread 11-08-2021, 07:55 AM
windy waffles

Quote:

Keeper needs work?.

But... Henderson...

(Not a dig at you).