United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: VAR - Where Do You Stand?
"Ł#%&! VAR!" - Get rid. It's destroying the Beautiful Game. 46 76.67%
"Needs some tweaking". - On balance it will be good, with tweaks. 11 18.33%
"I don't like it. I LOVE IT!" - Needs to stay. It's been a great addition. 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 06-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Neo

Question VAR - Where Do You Stand?

So we're approaching the halfway point of the first Premier League season of VAR, and IMO it's been a shambles which is suffocating and slowly killing the game.

Watched some old World Cup highlights the other day, footage from the classic Brazil vs Italy 1982 game, and it struck me how different the experience of a goal was compared to now. Today it seems as though the ecstasy of a goal celebration has been excised from the game, and replaced with this period of purgatory where bald, old @#%&!s play with computers to determine whether every nuance of the rules has been adhered to.

I've been surprised by how negative I've felt towards the impact of VAR. People are arguing that it's needed, and the decisions always even out, and that it will eventually be tweaked, blah, blah, blah, but I just want it gone. Was hilarious seeing how it helped us in Paris last season, but overall, it's been a horrendous trespasser on a game that didn't need it.

Poll to follow.

Unread 06-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
So we're approaching the halfway point of the first Premier League season of VAR, and IMO it's been a shambles which is suffocating and slowly killing the game.

Watched some old World Cup highlights the other day, footage from the classic Brazil vs Italy 1982 game, and it struck me how different the experience of a goal was compared to now. Today it seems as though the ecstasy of a goal celebration has been excised from the game, and replaced with this period of purgatory where bald, old @#%&!s play with computers to determine whether every nuance of the rules has been adhered to.

I've been surprised by how negative I've felt towards the impact of VAR. People are arguing that it's needed, and the decisions always even out, and that it will eventually be tweaked, blah, blah, blah, but I just want it gone. Was hilarious seeing how it helped us in Paris last season, but overall, it's been a horrendous trespasser on a game that didn't need it.

Poll to follow.
Probably my favourite non United game of all time tbh. That Brazil side were brilliant entertainment.

Also, VAR is a pile of cack.

Unread 06-12-2019, 01:47 PM
Ethers

It’s utter utter shit, Ł#%&! it off.

Has it even made that big a difference to the quality of decisions? There’s still plenty of bad calls getting made imo.

Tried, failed, get rid now.

Unread 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Patty_b

I think it could have a place if they used for reviewing something that it clear and obvious like red cards or obvious offside calls that were missed (last night is a good example tbh), but not for disallowing goals because the ball brushed someones arm or because their big toe was offside.

Doubt that will happen though, so if it cannot be used sensibly then just Ł#%&! it off instead.

Unread 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Fat Al

Newcastle’s second goal last highlighted what an utter pile of shambling shit it is.

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

i think it's awful.

thought it would be a good idea but I was bloody wrong for once.

let there be controversy.

var sucks the life out of the game. plus it's used far too often. oh did it roll up his shoulder? was he onside but his memories offside?

pants

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Albert Tatlock

Should do what they do in the tennis and cricket. Each team gets a limited number of appeals per half. No appeal, then the ref's/lino's original decision stands.

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:14 PM
Fat Al

And we all know the next logical step ...

Cutting to an ad break while the decision is being checked.
And then the ref being told to wait for the current ad to finish before giving his decision.

It’s coming, I’m sure of it.

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:17 PM
Zorg

It's the worst thing that's ever happened to football. Stat nerds who can't accept random elements and have to control and measure every aspect of everything, the kind of morons who didn't even like football 25 years ago, interfering and ruining it.
When Rashford scored v Liverpool everyone stopped and looked around. That will only get worse - give it a couple of years and every goal will be checked routinely. No spontaneous goons any more.

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:21 PM
Bunker Buster

Double goons, love it.....

No one celebrates a goal, it's sucked the celebration from football.....no it hasn't.

The spurs city European game was some of the greatest ever telly.....the tears and that video of the home end.
Pure sex

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:22 PM
NedKelly

I keep forgetting it’s being used even though between matches I’m well aware of it. Happened a few times this season where we’ve scored and I’ve lost my shit only for it to go to VAR and make me feel like a right wally. Hate it.

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Newcastle’s second goal last highlighted what an utter pile of shambling shit it is.
That was a joke, as was the arsenal match. Three goals, none of them were celebrated, somehow arsenal scored a goal with a bloke who was a yard offside pushing the defender into the oppo keeper preventing him from keeping the ball out, VAR ruled it was ok to stand

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Cream

Abysmal shite.

Quite apart from the obvious tweeks required, it removes the panto villain aspect of the referee. Football can be a pretty boring sport, 90 minutes of stalemate, it needs all the help it can get.

I also don't see the point in linesmen any more.

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
It does, but at the time time the Sheffield United players shouldn't have stopped. You don't play to the linesman's flag

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Baron

It's pure, unadulterated shit.

Goal line technology & retrospective banning for dives or violent conduct, that's about as much as they need.

The handball law is also a bag of shit regarding goals as well now.

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
It does, but at the time time the Sheffield United players shouldn't have stopped. You don't play to the linesman's flag
But you used to. Ref would give a goal and then you'd notice the linesman's flag and that was usually that.

Unread 06-12-2019, 02:38 PM
ScarFace

It should have been in the shit leagues for years until perfected.

Unread 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM
jem

not only is it essential, but it needs to be applied retrospectively to every time we've played arsenal or chelsea in the last 30 years, plus the 76 cup final and that game against porto. then jo mo should be fined enough to buy out the glazers.

it should only be used for egregious injustices, though. and they should get 15 seconds reviewing time max. once you start drawing lines across the screen, it fails. the current handball rule is not var; it's just shit. handball should always be deliberate, just as offside only applies to someone interfering with play.

rashford should have been booked for diving, incidentally. there was contact, but he did not go down under the contact. penalty and card is fair. encourage people to try to stay on their feet.

the principle of var is good. the problem is the @#%&!s looking at it. it's just a different @#%&! making a shit call. just let me do them all and it would be fine. all part of my benign dictatorship offer.

Unread 06-12-2019, 03:36 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
It's the worst thing that's ever happened to football. Stat nerds who can't accept random elements and have to control and measure every aspect of everything, the kind of morons who didn't even like football 25 years ago, interfering and ruining it.
When Rashford scored v Liverpool everyone stopped and looked around. That will only get worse - give it a couple of years and every goal will be checked routinely. No spontaneous goons any more.
This, I was convinced it was going to be ruled out as seem to recall they had a player down on the half way line.

Its taking the fun out of it, united score a 94th min winner tomorrow from a cross / through ball scenario and after the first 1 second of goon i will immediately be thinking was his kneecap offside.

Unread 06-12-2019, 03:43 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
not only is it essential, but it needs to be applied retrospectively to every time we've played arsenal or chelsea in the last 30 years, plus the 76 cup final and that game against porto. then jo mo should be fined enough to buy out the glazers.

it should only be used for egregious injustices, though. and they should get 15 seconds reviewing time max. once you start drawing lines across the screen, it fails. the current handball rule is not var; it's just shit. handball should always be deliberate, just as offside only applies to someone interfering with play.

rashford should have been booked for diving, incidentally. there was contact, but he did not go down under the contact. penalty and card is fair. encourage people to try to stay on their feet.

the principle of var is good. the problem is the @#%&!s looking at it. it's just a different @#%&! making a shit call. just let me do them all and it would be fine. all part of my benign dictatorship offer.
Stupid over complication, open to interpretation again.

If you can be played onside by a defender who has no hope of getting near the ball then an attacker in a similar position should be offside.

VAR has turned out exactly the way I predicted, leads to big gaps in the game and replaces controversy about ref's decisions with controversy about VAR's decisions.

Get rid, accept that football is a sport and sometimes shit happens.
Closed Thread